The case for the defence.....

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It really pains me to say it but there is no case for the defence.

I'm afraid we don't have a defence that is of League 2 Standard, the only defender we have up to that standard is Macari, in my opinion.

That's why there is a need to have a recruitment drive in the close season to recruit players that are strong, tall, tough & good in the air, that won't be bullied, are not easily muscled off the ball, can tackle & are not afraid to challenge. That's what Notts have been missing all season.

But there is something else too, which is just as important.

A defensive team has to be well drilled and organised and I don't believe that Williams, and lately Maynard, have been able to do that.

But that is down to both Head Coaches.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

It’s interesting when you watch the opposition’s midfielders and defenders when we approach the 18 yard box. They always become more compact and get tight to us, denying us space and time so our only options are to go sideways and wide.

Contrast that to our defending. More zonal and we always stand off attackers, allowing them the time and space to think their next move.

I remember, back in the 80’s  and 90’s when we had solid, no frills defenders who got tighter to their man than you would your missus when the slow dance tracks came on in the clubs at night.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, Robbie said:

I....

A defensive team has to be well drilled and organised and I don't believe that Williams, and lately Maynard, have been able to do that.

But that is down to both Head Coaches.

I think it's the system or the manner in which we ask them to play.  I think even our defenders would be more effective if the stuck it in Row z whenever playing out from the back is definitely not on, and only played out when there was no / low risk.  It doesn't play to our philosophy, but I think a significant part of our problem is a lack of confidence.  I think our defence has lacked confidence for far longer than the rest of the team, possibly as far back as last season.

I would choose a goalkeeper and then tell the back 5 (if you include the wing backs when they are defending) to take no risks.  Get some belief that they can do it and then recruit players that can play the way we want to.  Our midfield needs to support too - Crowley and Jatta / McGoldrick / Austin need to make themselves available more and Bostock / Robertson/ O'Brian / Colkett / Austin need to concentrate on providing a screen to the defence.  It's not the sort of thing we are going to get sorted over night though,

• Like 2

Supporter+

I see your point @Ohh Tommy Johnson but It seems that we are led back to the play it out from the back at all times philosophy even when under pressure. This philosophy must be coming from the coaches or maybe what the owners want.

I believe Maynard has tinkered by trying to get the midfield to support the defense much more, but this change has been to the detriment of us not scoring as freely as before.

It's a fine balance to be had, but I do agree that the defence should play more cautiously, and if in doubt, kick it out or upfield, where we now have Jatta to try to keep possession when the defence play long.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

Stuart Maynard has contributed to strengthening the defence, but there are some players who can’t be coached or instructed on the field. Yes, some managers can maximise their players’ potential, but it’s not as straightforward for a newcomer without a professional background. The only real solution to this problem is to recruit better defenders. It could be one intelligent defender who makes a difference alongside Kyle Cameron and Aden Baldwin. Alternatively, more defenders could be added, but I believe the wing backs and midfield need to fulfil their defensive duties. The goals in the video depict a disoriented Notts County, which is hard to overcome when you’re playing on Saturday, midweek, and then Saturday again.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

It strikes me that when all of the Notts team are back  defending at times they get in each others way, and of course certain players shouldn't be defending. I mean what chance as Aaron Nemane  ( who's no bigger than a pile of pennies) got of out jumping an attacking striker who  stands 6 foot plus? And Jodi isn't exactly on the bulky side then tries to take on an opponent built like a Brick Outhouse there's only going to be one winner in that sort of contest. And in all Honestly the only real defender up to League 2 standard is Lewis Macari . A defence unit comprising of young Macari  Bajrami and three No Nonsense Centre backs in the Brian Killer Kilcline or Brian Stubbs mould ( If only we could clone these players) who refuse to be Intimidated by the opposition. And ( some thing I'm fed of writing) a Team Captain who is a Born Leader on the Pitch. A Captain who can make  judgements instantly and get the Best Out of the Defence unit and a Goal Keeper who is commanding in the air and covers his area well, thus stopping this Sweeper Keeper Nonsense. The Case for the Defence Rests M'Lord.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+
23 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

It strikes me that when all of the Notts team are back  defending at times they get in each others way, and of course certain players shouldn't be defending. I mean what chance as Aaron Nemane  ( who's no bigger than a pile of pennies) got of out jumping an attacking striker who  stands 6 foot plus? And Jodi isn't exactly on the bulky side then tries to take on an opponent built like a Brick Outhouse there's only going to be one winner in that sort of contest. And in all Honestly the only real defender up to League 2 standard is Lewis Macari . A defence unit comprising of young Macari  Bajrami and three No Nonsense Centre backs in the Brian Killer Kilcline or Brian Stubbs mould ( If only we could clone these players) who refuse to be Intimidated by the opposition. And ( some thing I'm fed of writing) a Team Captain who is a Born Leader on the Pitch. A Captain who can make  judgements instantly and get the Best Out of the Defence unit and a Goal Keeper who is commanding in the air and covers his area well, thus stopping this Sweeper Keeper Nonsense. The Case for the Defence Rests M'Lord.

Well said.👍 I agree that we need defenders in the Kilcline and Stubbs mould with a goalkeeper who can command his area and deal with crosses and corners. Something that we aren't seeing at the moment.

And Macari is the best defender we have too.

I also believe another good tenacious defensive midfielder would be of benefit too to complement the new defensive unit.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

@Fozzy the moment aden baldwin goes down, they sense a goal scoring chance and none of our defenders react. it still annoys me how baldwin thought more about his pride and stayed down, than to see him attempt to get up but the other players are just as bad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

On 26/03/2024 at 15:40, Robbie said:

I see your point @Ohh Tommy Johnson but It seems that we are led back to the play it out from the back at all times philosophy even when under pressure. This philosophy must be coming from the coaches or maybe what the owners want.

I believe Maynard has tinkered by trying to get the midfield to support the defense much more, but this change has been to the detriment of us not scoring as freely as before.

It's a fine balance to be had, but I do agree that the defence should play more cautiously, and if in doubt, kick it out or upfield, where we now have Jatta to try to keep possession when the defence play long.

Exactly - I think our game was perfectly set up for the NL, where we could control the game through better players and wear the opposition out.  In L2 it needs to evolve to be more pragmatic where we need to be.  I don't thin we have done that yet, but hopefully this is what they are looking at over the summer... or getting in a shed load of Championship and L1 players so we can do the same as we did in the NL!!

• Like 3