Time to be Positive about Season 2023/24

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It's time to think about the positives now with just 5 games to go. Notts can't change the past, but they can very much influence the future.

We got promoted last season last time I heard, and this season we've booked our place in next season's league 2.

We are the highest scorers in the league, we have the leading scorer and the leading assister. We've been the most entertaining team in league 2.

We have scored 197 league goals in less than two seasons with five games to go, and are nearing that 200 mark. That is outstanding.

We have the best front line in this league, teams play negativity against us because they are frightened by our front line.

We will come back next season better and stronger with new players that will make the team even more frightening to the opposition.

So let's be positive, Notts will learn lessons from this season and I am confident that they will be a different team next season by scoring even more goals and letting in much fewer.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

We’ve stayed up is the biggest positive.

We’ve found out who in the squad I who can play at this level and also who is nowhere near good enough.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,145
  • Days Won:  17

Robbie I like your Positivity. But everything at the Lane isn't all Sunshine and Roses and we Mustn't Lose Track that there are the Problems that need to be Resolved.

What you've stated in your comment is True however  for every Positive there is a Negative. Yes Notts have scored the most Goals in League 2 but they have also had the Most Goals scored against them.  The Strike Force is Feared by opponents it used to be and other Teams played Negatively against the Magpies True until Teams learned how to handle the Notts System. Macca is the Leagues Top Scorer but is only one in front of Matt Smith, but hopefully he'll find his scoring touch again and hit the 30 goals target. Notts will comeback stronger than ever Next Season, they might but Recruitment as got be Top Drawer not just the odd decent player joining the Ranks. We the Fans know where the Problems lie at the Lane the Trouble is Do those in Charge Know? And will they do anything about it? Will weak players on Two years contracts be kept on or released? Will there be a New Man in the Dug Out? Positive vibes are all well and Good but the Real World is very different at Notts at the moment.

Fans reading this will just think I'm All Doom and Gloom but I think I'm just being Realistic and Honest on the way I see things at the Lane, at this present time. There will be Fans who think and see things differently to me and that's Fine  but lets look at things in Reality Not through Rose Tinted Glasses. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

"Rose tinted glasses" No not at all.

It is  about celebrating all the positive things the team and individual players have achieved this season.

The fact that we've cemented our place for another season in League 2.

The individual achievements of players and records they have recorded.

The great start by Jatta since he joined Notts, 

The return to fitness of Cedwyn Scott and Matt Palmer who is well on his way to full fitness and will return next season.

And the Leadership has  identified that improvements need to be made in certain areas and those will be addressed before the start of next season.

This thread was posted to discuss the positives that have come out of this season, and there are plenty of positives to discuss.

I believe the glass is half full, rather than half empty, and I'm sure the Club will fill that glass even more next season with the lessons that have been learned.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,145
  • Days Won:  17

Robbie

All of Your positives should be Celebrated. It's just that I think there could have been so Much More and like you have said Lets hope Chris & Alex manage to Top Up That Glass, for the Start of 2024/20255.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I think when Palmer got injured, we all suddenly realised just how important he is. In terms of eye-catching play he doesn’t do that much but his positioning and ability to just keep receiving the ball is insanely good. I’m hoping the injury won’t have impacted his ability, because a player of his ability can only improve us. And I’ve said it before but I think him and Robertson will form a formidable partnership.

The hope I’m still clinging to is that bar Mansfield this season I don’t think we’ve been outplayed by anyone and although the results recently haven’t been great, I still don’t think we’re that far off being a good side in L2. It’s reassuring to hear Stuart Maynard talking about addressing a lack of physicality too and that work is going on behind the scenes to address the recruitments short-comings this season. Add a couple of top defenders and goalkeeper (easier said then done) and we’ll have a really decent squad.

Now I just need to see a good end to the season to give me confidence that SM can be successful here.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

There are many positive aspects to consider. However, it’s crucial for Stuart Maynard to improve his performance, especially if he plans to stay for the next season. Personally, I don’t believe the board will let him go.

Our options for attack are quite impressive.

With the right recruitment, the team can be further strengthened.

Just maintaining our position in the Football League is an achievement in itself.

• Like 3

Supporter+

I believe another big positive this first season in League 1 was our match attendances which could see the total reach close to £250K by the seasons end.

Of course there are several factors why the attendances have been good. Notts play attractive football and score plenty of goals, 80 goals scored already this season and spectators do like to be entertained, and we certainly get entertained at meadow lane.

Another reason is we have attracted many families that may have gone to watch Forest but cannot due to them being sold out every game. Personally, I hope Forest stay in the PL, because those families will most likely still come to watch Notts, and that good for Notts's revenue.

It will be interesting to see if Notts reward fans loyalty by giving discounts for renewal of season tickets for next season. I believe that would be a good move too.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I think it is far better to go into the close season looking at the positives, whilst being mindful of the negatives.  Momentum for 24 / 25 can start at the end of 23/24, so 5 good results and looking at the glass half full component of the season are important. The glass half empty component can be focussed on at the start of the close season going into pre-season. There are loads of positives both on and off the field. 

The investment in the Fans Zone, new bar, the pitch, Padel (?) courts suggest that the owners are here  for the long term. 

The Owners are steady and not reactive, but will take action when they think it is appropriate.  I think this will pay dividends in the long term.

Our attack is devastating when we get it going - and it appears to have depth such that losing Jones and Macca still leaves us very strong position

We have learned a lot about league football vs non-league which will give us a more stable base to develop from than going up and then struggling next year (better to be a top L2 side moving forwards, than a struggling L1 side moving backwards).  Our development  plan as a club sees to be the same as our on field tactics; slow, steady and methodical.

Having Matty Palmer back will be like a new signing!

Our defence has also been so bad, that it has clearly highlighted what needs to be done to improve!! We have a pretty good track record on recruiting attackers, now we know what's needed for defence it should be possible to replicate that.  I also get the feeling SM has a bigger input into what he wants.

So, lots of good... but let's not forget to work on the gaps.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

2 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

Having Matty Palmer back will be like a new signing!

its very cliche but matt palmer really will make such a big difference when he returns.

our first goal was to remain in the efl, we had high hopes on the back of promotion but perhaps the fact chesterfield were the better team on the day and what issues they gave us could have been a sign of how this campaign might end.

going top showed we had the class and quality, unfortunately injuries meant and other things did not see it last but its  good achievement in its own.

the earlier part of our home form was special, it felt like meadow lane was a fortress and that made attending games exciting.

• Like 1