Statement from Joe Palmer Notts Chief Executive

Notts chief executive, Joe Palmer, provides an update on several exciting projects – including news that their plans to develop a state-of-the-art fanzone and events space have been approved

• Like 3

Included in the many exciting projects and improvements mentioned in Joe Palmer's statement is that work will begin on modernising the whole infrastructure of the pitch and it's surroundings to improve drainage and install under soil heating making the playing pitch Premier League standard.

This work will proceed after the last home game of the season 

That is really exciting news and demonstrates the commitment of the Reedtz brothers to making Notts County ready for being higher up in the football pyramid.

• Like 3

This sounds amazing but the one thing which raises it's Ugly Head is MONEY. How will this effect the average Notts Fan? I.e. Season ticket cost or Match Day admission? There is a recession going on which doesn't appear to be coming to an end  any time soon, not matter which Political Party is running the country. The  Cost of living is Sky High paying bills putting food on the table and dressing your kids is going to take Priority above anything Notts can come up with. And pricing out the ordinary Fan isn't going to help the Club in the Long Run, I know this isn't all going to happen straight away but the Cost to any new vendors as well as Fans using any of the new facilities must be affordable or things such as the Nest will be poorly attended and could end up being a White Elephant. Hopefully the people in charge of these projects are experts in their field and will have worked out the cost and what sort of income is required cover those costs. One thing that did puzzle me was the Paddle Centre is it? How much money did that cost and is the centre making any money for the Club? It's all right having these Bright Ideas let's just hope they will be a Big Financial Help to the Club.

• Like 3

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Improving the meadow lane pitch to PL standard has to be a Biggie for me, including a digital transformation, including a new website is welcome.

It's only natural that Notts will want to improve and expand commercially, because that where other clubs like Wrexham have been working so big on, and we don't want to be left behind.

I would like to have heard news about what they are going to do to improve the concourses to reopen some of the seats that have been covered up, reducing the capacity of the ground by over 3000 at the moment.

If many seats could be reopened that would increase match revenue too 

Whether it can be done or not, they should let the fans know.

• Like 3

Supporter+

You’ve got to applaud the owners for their ambition, this is excellent stuff and deserves to be a huge success.

• Like 5

Robbie

Maybe it wouldn't be a Bad Idea for the new Notts website to have a page  in which Fans could ask such questions like yours i.e. the concourses and other things regarding the Stadium, and be given an answer quickly and an answer that's in plain English and doesn't rattle on for what seems like for ever.  I agree the Pitch and the Stadium should take top priority and maybe something could be done about the Gents toilets? Like hot water and the hand drying units.

It strikes me that the New CEO wants to Race ahead with things I hope he and his team take time to think things through and where the Money is coming from because I'm sure Chris and Alex haven't got bottomless pockets, neither have the Fans. Taking on to many projects could end up Crippling the Club's finances. and Notts certainly Don't Want To Return to an Hardy like Era. And just because say Wrexham or Mansfield have got such and such , doesn't mean Notts Need to have the Same. I would say the Top Priority at the Lane is a Top Class Playing Surface for the Players to Play On and Fans can enjoy watching a match in Comfort.

• Like 3

@Wheelbarrow repair man 

I agree about the pitch being top priority, followed by the concourses, improving ground capacity and improving amenities such as toilets and refreshments 

I can only think that the Reedtz brothers have signed off on these improvements and have agreed on the funding for them all 

We know how pragmatic they are so they must have weighed up all the pros and cons beforehand.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbie said:

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Improving the meadow lane pitch to PL standard has to be a Biggie for me, including a digital transformation, including a new website is welcome.

It's only natural that Notts will want to improve and expand commercially, because that where other clubs like Wrexham have been working so big on, and we don't want to be left behind.

I would like to have heard news about what they are going to do to improve the concourses to reopen some of the seats that have been covered up, reducing the capacity of the ground by over 3000 at the moment.

If many seats could be reopened that would increase match revenue too 

Whether it can be done or not, they should let the fans know.

I suspect that if we are selling out regularly they will do it, but I would hope (and knowing these owners expect) they are already drawing up project plans to hit the floor running when it is needed. 

3 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

This sounds amazing but the one thing which raises it's Ugly Head is MONEY. How will this effect the average Notts Fan? I.e. Season ticket cost or Match Day admission? There is a recession going on which doesn't appear to be coming to an end  any time soon, not matter which Political Party is running the country. The  Cost of living is Sky High paying bills putting food on the table and dressing your kids is going to take Priority above anything Notts can come up with. And pricing out the ordinary Fan isn't going to help the Club in the Long Run, I know this isn't all going to happen straight away but the Cost to any new vendors as well as Fans using any of the new facilities must be affordable or things such as the Nest will be poorly attended and could end up being a White Elephant. Hopefully the people in charge of these projects are experts in their field and will have worked out the cost and what sort of income is required cover those costs. One thing that did puzzle me was the Paddle Centre is it? How much money did that cost and is the centre making any money for the Club? It's all right having these Bright Ideas let's just hope they will be a Big Financial Help to the Club.

I suspect the payback is going to be a playing surface that gives us an advantage.  Our game is more suited to playing higher up the pyramid, so it should help.  I think it also gives opportunities for internationals and other 'showcase' games which will bring in some revenue. It will also increase the asset value of the stadium.  I can't imagine that they haven't sorted funding, they seem very sensible about those sorts of things.  Same with The Nest. Also, don't forget the Reedz brothers are part of a consortium and front that group.  For all we know the consortium could be Jeff Bezos. Elon Musk and Bill Gates (it could also be John, Ted and Bill from the Dog and Duck).  We simply don't know who or how wealthy they are, but I have a feeling that funds are available and will continue to be so for a while yet.

• Like 3

Ohh Tommy Johnson

I doubt it would be Jeff Bezos Elon Musk and Bill Gates, because Elon does Not Like The Other Two. Be kinda Cool if it was Elon out of the Three He'd be the Only One I'd Trust. As I don't know John Ted and Bill from the Dog and Duck I couldn't comment on those Gentlemen. (Ha  Ha)

• Haha 2

Notts is looking at ways which bring in revenue, whilst making ground improvements.

If there's a profit and income to be made, which gives a boost to our supporters base, then it's only a good thing. Additional ways to bring in revenue is very important, so I commend the board for exploring and sticking to these changes. It goes to show just how wisely money can be spent when it's looked at carefully and not used as a means to inflate your ego, aka Alan Hardy or a distraction to temporarily fill the lack with adequate wallpapering like others who shall not be named. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I am sure many others within our camp would agree.

The pitch will probably be re-laid but other than that, there's little to do to improve it. Our ground staff do an amazing job, Bradford City could learn a thing or two from them.

We've been spoiled by our owners, which is part of the reason I feel annoyed and disappointed when some fans make silly comments about them not putting money in or silly things like that. I doubt any of the funds used for these schemes comes at a cost to our playing budget and when it does, I am sure the squad comes first and foremost because that will bring in the most revenue by doing well.

• Like 2

@Christhey also wrote that the club is going to install under soil heating too, but will only be connected when it is really cold which I believe is a good move.

A premier league standard pitch is an exciting prospect and demonstrates the ambition of the club.

• Love 1

@Robbie I missed that, but it will go down with the resurfacing of the pitch that they do. :D

Postponed games are actually very costly to teams, as stewards etc still have to be paid for their time. Re-arranged, it stretches that cost - so it's good the clubs are putting this in place. In the future, or maybe even at the same time. They should re-think the drainage at the side of the pitches as under rain (not even heavy at times) it starts to gather little ponds. It's even worse when it's heavy, as they turn into lakes.

• Like 2

Supporter+

2 projects that will serve us well in the future. The Nest is a great name. It shows that the brothers have a long term plan. All we need now is a fly on the wall documentary, I'm sure it hasn't been done before.......

• Like 1

Piethagoram wouldn't that have been put towards the Compensation to Wealdstone (well part of it) paid by Notts to get Stuart Maynard and offer him a Three and a half year contract? I think Joe Palmer needs to walk before he can run and get his priorities right. The Playing surface which is being undertaken (that isn't going to come cheap) and the concourse repair has Robbie as mentioned. Mr Palmer needs to be reigned in with all these ideas he keeps coming up with, Notts after all are Not a Premier League Club with Premier League Money. Nice and Easy work within a Budget, Top Priorities The Pitch, New Players and Fan Comfort during a Match Day, because lets Not Forget Not All Notts fans can afford the Luxury of a Hospitality Box.

• Like 1

Trouble is money is king in football now, I wish it were not so but it is.

It is good that we have pragmatic owners who are keen to run a tight ship when it comes to the purse strings. It seems they are keen to keep within a pre determined  budget based on income if they can.

It looks to me that Palmer has been brought in to specifically look at ways in which to make money and it seems he is trying to do just that.

Increasing space to install more executive boxes is an example of this, and of course we are going to have the Nest next door.

I hope Notts are successful in increasing the revenue because extra revenue can be ploughed back into the club to improve the ground and try to recruit better players.

• Like 1

I hope you're right regarding the Brothers hold on the Purse Strings Robbie ( I'm sure you are) it's just  that I've seen to many of these Ideas men come into a business with all these promises of a Big Money Return for such and such investment only for the idea to  fail, and to many failures would see the Business Crumble. I'm Not saying Joe Palmer is one of these Wide Boys it's just I Personally  don't like the idea of to many projects going off all at once. Regarding the Nest his he hoping that Forest fans will also attend? Because personally I can't see the Fan Zone being supported financially by Notts fans alone. Will visiting fans be encouraged  to visit the Fan Zone? If so Security will have to be tight especially if Alcohol is being served. The Nest can hold up to 1,500 Fans but how many will have to attend regularly to make it a success? 500 a 1,000 or the full quota of 1,500?  I can't be the only Magpies Fan with worries hopefully the Club can be transparent with it's spending or give some idea and reassure Fans that Money is available and will cover the costs that will be required for all the Projects being presented. I for one wouldn't want to be throwing my loose change into a plastic bucket outside the ground or watch another Notts vs Forest match to help boost the Funds of the Club. 

• Like 1

I get what you are saying @Wheelbarrow repair man I think that all these improvements would have been costed and approved months ago, before they were announced.

I am sure there may be lots of questions for Palmer and Montague regarding all these projects and things may be much clearer to all of us afterwards.

I can't think that visiting supporters will be allowed in on Match Days because that could cause a security issue.

I'm really pleased about the plans for the ground improvements, and knowing that Notts won't have future problems with waterlogged and frozen pitches.