Luke O'Nien Handball - Red Card?

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Came across this video earlier today explaining why Luke O'Nien was only given a yellow as opposed to a red for a deliberate handball.

What does everyone make of the explanation or the situation?

Should it have been a red card or was the yellow the correct decision?

I find it a tricky one because of the explanation they give as to why it's a yellow by the law of the game and not exactly a clear chance.

However, you have to imagine without the volleyball parry that the opposition player was gonna latch on to it and be in on goal. But also, a handball like that surely warrants a red card.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It's a professional foul. He is deliberately stopping the ball illegally by the use of his hand. 

As far as I'm concerned, a professional foul should be treated as serious foul play and the player should have a red card 

The action by the offending player is not in the spirit of the game either.

There needs to be some kind of deterrence put into the game to try to stop this sort of foul play happening. 

If a player decides to do this there should be an appropriate punishment to fit the crime so to speak.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

He’s a long way from the goal and I think that’s what saved him, I agree there’s still a lot for the attacker to do before he can potentially have a shot on goal, no-one can actually say where the ball would’ve ended up. So, by the current laws I guess the ref is correct.

I don’t agree with it though, I think it’s borderline cheating like “tactical fouls” or when players just drag a player back to stop a counter and take the booking. The modern game doesn’t really have the sufficient rules for these situations in my opinion.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I believe all "professional fouls should be Red Carded because it is blatantly deliberate.

All we can say is that the deliberate handball denied the attacker of a good scoring opportunity.

Even if the attacker may not have scored, that should not come into the Referee's thinking.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

professional foul all day long, i dont know how anyone could just get a yellow for that. regardless of the area, its blatant hand ball and he did it solely to stop the attack. i fear without strong punishment others could replicate this stupid behaviour.

any form of cheating needs to stamped out severely, but hand balls like this is an easy red for me.

• Love 1

Supporter+

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

On 11/05/2024 at 15:42, liampie said:

any form of cheating needs to stamped out severely, but hand balls like this is an easy red for me.

exactly this for it to be a red card. 

• Like 1