Eat your veg!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Are there any vegetables that you’ve had to eat in the past that you didn’t care for? Or perhaps ones that you’ve never taken a liking to? My grandchildren aren’t fans of rhubarb and many other vegetables, such as cauliflower, peas, radishes, Brussels sprouts, and so on. These are all things that you wouldn’t hesitate to eat when hunger strikes, as was the case in my younger days.

I’m aware that rhubarb is more commonly used in culinary dishes nowadays, such as crumbles and simply served with custard. However, I still enjoy it occasionally with roasted duck, not just in desserts.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,118
  • Days Won:  17

@RetroPie

Well that's a New One to Me. Rhubarb and Roast Duck. I've always thought it was just for Dessert. You learn something New Every Day. The Leaves and other parts of the Rhubarb plant are very Toxic and can poison both Humans and Animals.💀

Now going back to your question, I Hate most Veg but mainly Turnip. Because when I was in Junior school somebody placed Turnip on my dinner Plate and I refused to eat it. I was told by a Teacher if I didn't eat it I couldn't have my Pudding. I didn't eat it so wasn't allowed any Pudding. I went home and Told my Mum, to say she Hit the Roof would be an understatement. She marched down to the School the Next Day and All Hell Broke Loose. My Mum Never Swore but she did have the knack of Getting Her Point Across. Needless to say I Didn't have to eat Turnip and Still Don't To This Day.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
8 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Well that's a New One to Me. Rhubarb and Roast Duck.

It’s a new one on me too, although Duck and orange, along with duck and cherries go well together so why not rhubarb?

I’ve never been keen on turnip either, I used to love peas as a kid, my mam used to buy them in the pods and I used to help her shell them. Nowadays I can eat most vegetables, I love Brussels sprouts, carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower etc., I’m not keen on turnip or swede although they’re not bad in soup, Mrs. T makes lovely soups my favourite is red pepper and tomato, very easy to make and a cheap meal too.

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

I was a bit of fussy eater when I was younger and so vegetables in general were a struggle. I didn’t mind eating them in meals, my parents used to do the old cut it up small and cover it with sauce trick, but the stand-alone carrot or courgette staring up at me from the plate was a no-no. Funny how looking back I can’t really describe why I didn’t like them, I just didn’t. Nowadays I eat pretty much most veg, there’s not much I don’t really like and living with a vegetarian I’ve learnt to cook it in a lot more interesting ways than the standard boil it and serve it with some potatoes and meat!

Horse-radish has always been a massive no and still is for me, just something about the flavour being way too strong.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,118
  • Days Won:  17

@Fan of Big Tone

Kippers and Custard I often wonder if that was ever a thing. I Like Kippers (but had them in Years) and I like Custard Nice and thick. I remember helping my Grandma shell Peas and being Told Off For Eating them. If you keep eating them they'll be None for your Dinner. I'll tell you what I Do Like Mushy Peas and Mint Sauce. Magic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Not that anyone would believe this, I am sure, but I was a very fussy eater - I still am to some degree.

I love potatoes, they are easily in my top 3 favourite foods because you do many things with them. Mashed potatoes are absolutely the most incredible thing ever! I have always liked carrots. For some reason I think baby ones tend to taste nicer, but I haven't had them in years.

I used to feel disappointed when @super_ram would put swede in his mash. If anything green touched my plate as a kid, you would consider yourself lucky if I touched anything. Now, I like virtually them all. Peas, runner beans.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I do love every kind of vegetable, but have not eaten a lot of them in recent years. 

I particularly like mushy peas mixed up with my mashed potato with carrots, broccoli & cauliflower on the side with gravy.

My favourite has always been stuffing, nowadays I have to have it soft, but it is still a big favourite of mine.

As a boy there wasn't a lot of broccoli about so we really never had it.

Due to my Acalasia condition I have to have my veggies mushy so that they go down easily to my stomach, so there are now lots of veg & salad & general food like red meat that I can't eat now.

My mum used to make her own Jam, she could make all sorts of jams,  strawberry & raspberry were my favourite. The Jam was real jam, not the jam you buy from the supermarket.

I particularly like soups too. We have a blender that can convert set dinners into soups. Before I had my operation, a few years ago, I lived off soups because nothing else would go down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Supporter+

I’ve not heard of Achalasia @Robbie so I looked it up, it sounds nasty, you have my sympathy.

• Like 3

Supporter+
44 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’ve not heard of Achalasia @Robbie so I looked it up, it sounds nasty, you have my sympathy

Yes. It stops you eating eventually if not treated. They think is an auto immune disease that stops the muscles of the oesophagus working so the food isn't pushed down, eventually food gets stuck even soup and liquids without treatment.

• Sad 4

Supporter+

@Robbie I assume you’ve had treatment to help the condition?

• Like 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

You have my sympathy @Robbie but you do seem to be coping very well. Good for you..

• Love 3

Supporter+

Going back to vegetables, has anyone else tried fennel? It’s got a sort of liquorice taste and goes well with fish. Tonight we are having cod with fennel, chorizo, basil, baby tomatoes, white wine vinegar, wrapped in a parcel and steamed in the oven, it’s delicious.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 18/07/2024 at 11:53, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’ve not heard of Achalasia @Robbie so I looked it up, it sounds nasty, you have my sympathy.

Two of the residents of the former care home I worked suffered from this.

It's not a nice condition, made even worse if you catch it too late. The carers that assisted them with eating had to spend a considerable amount of time patiently feeding them. Although, it did become a contest between the laziest ones who just wanted to get away with helping others. My time working in the care home, I never felt depressed and I loved making a difference. Yet, it's a grim world.

Being one of the cooks, I had to blitz down food for a number of residents and I always made sure to try it before giving it to them. If I didn't like the taste, I wouldn't. Fruit was commonly used to make things taste nicer.

• Love 3

Supporter+
1 hour ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

@Robbie I assume you’ve had treatment to help the condition?

Had the POEM (Peroral endoscopic myotomy) procedure about 4 years ago, where they go down your throat and basically cut the muscles back in the Oesophagus so the muscles can't close it, and so it permanently opens up your food pipe. Surgeon did a great job. The stitches dissolved after several days.

Problem is your lower esophageal sphincter at the bottom of the Oesophagus is permanently open so you can't fully lie down when sleeping..

Like everything else you get used to the changes, just can't eat red meat, bread, cake, tomatoes, apple, oranges etc. White meat, chicken or fish is ok.

You have your operation then a few hours later they make you have something to eat. That was tough.

The condition can't be cured just managed.

45 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Going back to vegetables, has anyone else tried fennel? It’s got a sort of liquorice taste and goes well with fish. Tonight we are having cod with fennel, chorizo, basil, baby tomatoes, white wine vinegar, wrapped in a parcel and steamed in the oven, it’s delicious.

Love Salmon although it's got quite expensive lately. We used to buy a whole Salmon and the wife would debone it & cut into small sections

• Like 3

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i can eat any type of veg that goes with gravy, even if i dont like it by its self. i was a fussy eater when i was younger but in my teens i found trying things opened up a lot of new options for meals. i also quite like cooking, so i do tend to use veg.

one of my favourite things is a stew that my grandmother used to make. this is heavily reliant on things like peas, carrots etc.

Supporter+
1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

could live on Black Forest Gateau everyday

Now you’re talking I love Black Forest Gateau but I don’t think it qualifies as a vegetable. :joker:

• Haha 1