Match Discussion: PSF - The Zebras (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+
7 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I think it was one of their coaching staff @Robbie. He wasn't in the team anyway. Probably should have kept his mouth shut.

Wow. It's supposed to be a friendly.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

It takes all sorts @Robbie.

Just to sum up some of the comments in the ticker, they seem to have been expecting more attacking scenes from us and don't know whether it's a deliberate tactic or we're struggling with the weather (it's VERY hot today). Slocombe does seem to have been the busier keeper. Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising given that our players are in a training camp.

At their end, there's some frustration that they've conceded from a set piece, which was a habit of theirs last season too.

• Like 6

Supporter+

@DangerousSausage

I do like the ticker.

It appears to be on the Duisburg website.

It's a very good tool. Notts could learn a thing or too with what I've seen of it today.

Is it usual for German clubs to have tickers?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Second half begins, No Notts changes.

Supporter+

Change of personal for Notts.

• Like 1

• Chris changed the title to Match Discussion: PSF - The Zebras (A)

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have merged matchday topic and with the match discussion has not to confuse members or have two separate topics on the same instance.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Chicksen concedes a penalty.

Duisburg 1 Notts 1

Duisburg now take the lead.

Duisburg 2 Notts 1

• Like 1

Supporter+

Now it's 31.

Duisburg 3 Notts 1

That's what you get for putting a weakened side on in the second half.

Supporter+

Dissapointing. Duisburg score three goal in the last 10 minutes after a good Notts defensive display for 80 minutes.

Looks like the heat got to them 

Lesson learned here.

Final score 

Duisburg 3 Notts 1

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Supporter+

It was a good performance by Notts for the first 80 minutes or so. Looks like we are putting together a good defensive unit.

We look to be a bit thin on the ground in the centre of midfield. I can only assume that Stuart doesn't want to risk Palmer just yet.

Jatta nor Morias figured in the side today. I wonder if the transfer rumours regarding Morias are true?

McDonald, Edwards, Austin nor Tsaroulla figured either, I wonder if they are injured?

Notts put on three youngsters after 64 mins and it was good experience for them.

Ryley Reynolds featured in midfield again.

Unfortunate to concede those goals after such a good performance for 80 mins, but it looks like we know what the defensive unit will be when the football begins for real in 3 weeks.

• Like 5

The result doesn't really matter at this stage. I'm interested in seeing the verdict of those who were there, but with three of our four central midfielders not in the squad, this may have left us a bit light in the middle and allowed the hosts to control the game. It meant we were under a lot of pressure, but that's also a worthwhile thing to practice in a friendly. We only fell behind after we somewhat weakened the team.

It's worth mentioning that this was Duisburg's dress rehearsal, their season begins on Friday so they're further in their preparation than us. It is also a blazing hot day, much warmer than in Nottingham. We are not going to play many matches in this heat. I wouldn't worry about the players who were missing, players picking up niggles at training camps is par for the course.

@Robbie, live tickers are very popular here, but some have evolved into fan radio services offering live commentary of matches (BBC local radio isn't a thing here). It's a bit of a throwback but I like it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@DangerousSausage

Just wondering if a ticker here would go against those stringent broadcasting rules we have on live games.

I also wonder if Notts can only give info on games a certain number of times over 90 mins on their twitter feed for example?

Supporter+

Match report here 

• Like 4

I don't see why it should @Robbie, it's just like doing updates on here but on a different platform.

I've just been looking at their forum. Dan Crowley seems to have won a couple of admirers, one saying he was the best player on the pitch until he went off, another asking if he's available 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I don't see why it should @Robbie, it's just like doing updates on here but on a different platform.

I've just been looking at their forum. Dan Crowley seems to have won a couple of admirers, one saying he was the best player on the pitch until he went off, another asking if he's available 😂

Good job we didn't play Jatta or still had Macca then.

I noticed on the ticker that they mentioned Jodi a few times too.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

@Piethagoram can you give us an  first hand account of the game from your perspective? How did Notts play? Who was a star performer? Preferably in English, I didn’t do German at school. :joker:

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,666
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

translation

Duisburg. Regional league football team MSV Duisburg wins the last test match before the start of the season 3:1. Red for assistant coach Marvin Höner.

Regional league football team MSV Duisburg saved the dress rehearsal before the start of the season in the final act. The Zebras turned their last test match against the English fourth division team Notts County FC in the final phase on Saturday. In front of 2591 spectators, including around 200 away fans, in the Homberger PCC Stadium, MSV defeated the British team 3:1 (0:1).

Jonas Michelbrink was out at MSV Duisburg at short notice with an infection. The midfielder will also be absent from the official "Media Day" of the Regional League on Monday. Jannik Zahmel and Joshua Bitter were also out due to injury. Luis Hartwig, who MSV presented as a new signing on Thursday, was in the starting eleven. Max Braune was in goal, which means he has secured his place as the first-choice goalkeeper for the time being.

MSV, who played in a 4-3-3 system, had their first chance in the second minute through Jakob Bookjans, who ran alone towards the goal but was stopped by goalkeeper Sam Slocombe. In the twelfth minute, Gerrit Wegkamp put the ball wide of the goal from 17 meters. Two minutes later, the guests from Nottingham were celebrating. The Zebras had to accept a set piece goal. Matthew Platt scored from a free kick to make it 0-1. Duisburg's defense was poorly organized here.

more on the subject

Everything about MSV Duisburg

Duisburg had more possession, the robust guests defended consistently and only allowed the Zebras a few shots on goal. While Meiderich struggled to play forward, Notts County restricted themselves to defence and the guests' attacking efforts were severely limited.

But the half-time whistle did not bring peace. MSV assistant coach Marvin Höner evidently needed to speak to referee Jonah Besong. Höner was clearly lacking in the English manner. Besong immediately showed the red card.

In the second half, MSV brought on Jan-Simon Symalla for Luis Hartwig and Malek Fakhro for Gerrit Wegkamp. It was a tough affair. In between, the MSV fans sang songs to get some atmosphere going in the stands. On the pitch, the Duisburg team found it hard to break through the Magpies' three-man defense. In the 62nd minute, Steffen Meuer had a shot on goal, but he put the ball high over the goal from 15 meters.

MSV Duisburg: Equaliser via penalty

Dietmar Hirsch made five substitutions in the 70th minute. New signing Jesse Tugbenyo, who had been signed shortly before kick-off, also came on. After a foul on Jan-Simon Symalla, referee Jonah Besong pointed to the penalty spot. Franko Uzelac converted safely in the 79th minute to make it 1-1. Two minutes later, the game was turned around. Symalla volleyed in a cross from Jihad Boutakhrit to make it 2-1. Things got even better from Duisburg's perspective. In the 87th minute, Malek Fakhro put the final goal on the scoreboard with a goal to make it 3-1. A minute later, Jakob Bookjans hit the post.

MSV: Braune – Müller (70. Montag), Fleckstein, Hahn (70. Uzelac), Coskun (70. Göckan) – Sussek, Egerer, (70. Tugbenyo) Hartwig (46. Symalla) – Meuer (70. Boutakhrit), Wegkamp (46. Fakhro), Bookjans.

• Like 3

"Lacking in the English manner" is an idiom meaning he was a bit rude. As you all know, we are never rude 😁

I've found some highlights posted by a YouTuber. There's a lot of talking and buildup, so the actual match footage starts after about 7 minutes. It's quite good footage though, as he's sat quite far up. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

I watched the linked vlog. Notts seemed to ease off, possibly due to the weather, but it’s just a friendly at the end of the day. The penalty awarded for a foul by Adam Chicksen seemed harsh. Their player appeared to be all over him, and it looked more like he was pulling himself down by holding onto Chicksen. I won’t complain, but it felt soft. The referee’s decision seemed to boost MSV’s morale.

@Robbie, the old Notts site did feature a live update ticker.

@DangerousSausage, are there any fans of our very own Manuel Neuer, also known as Sam Slocombe?

• Like 3

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

I’ve read comments about Notts imploding, but I don’t think fans should worry about a result in a friendly match. This was an exhibition-style friendly in what seemed like intense heat. I believe Notts had several young players on the pitch at the turning point, and we shouldn’t discredit them by complaining about the loss. Stuart Maynard can take a lot from the game, such as assessing our players’ fitness levels. As the season approaches, most players’ match sharpness should improve.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

This was a Very Disappointing letting in 3 goals in the Last 10 minutes. Yes Yes I know it was and Friendly and a few of the Youngsters were given a chance and it was an extremely Hot Day. But with it being at the Higher End of a Friendly Match I thought that Stuart Maynard would have put out his Starting XI for the Match at Tranmere or as near to it, and played that team for at Least an hour. With the Season getting Closer it would be nice to have a Better Idea who will be representing the Magpies at the Season's Start.

What Happened in the Last minutes once the first of the Zebra's goals went in, did the Old Notts Problem of letting their Heads Drop Come to the Fore?

• Like 1