The old Spion Kop scoreboard

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

A nostalgic look back when a junior could go & stand to watch your favourite team very cheaply for half a crown or so, (15 p), before the match get a pie chips and peas for a shilling (5 p) & a programme for less than 6d. (1967 prices)

Lived at Cotgrave at that time & you could get a return on Bartons buses for less than shilling. 

Used to get 5 shillings (25 p) a week pocket money so it went a long long way in those days.

Supplemented it in the summer potato picking 10 shillings per day. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

It’s nice to see photos of the old scoreboard still being remembered. It highlights how much progress has been made over time. I liken it to the nostalgia I feel when relatives tell me about teletext. It was handy for updates at a time when there were few ways to stay informed.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@CliftonMagpie

Teletext was a fantastic tool, I enjoyed scrolling it just like you scroll the mobile phone now.

Playing with the remote control was a new fad too.

Loads of information on it too. All for free as well apart from the licence fee. My parents had to pay for that.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

I’ve only seen photos, but both teletext and the old Notts scoreboard seem very outdated now. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It just shows how much progress has been made. It’s likely that the things we take for granted today, just like people did with those, will probably see significant advancements in the future.

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

my memories of standing with my grandfather on the County Road side, eyes peeled on the half time scores... where some delay was built in especially regarding the F*rest score

Then leaving the match only to see the Gash bus to East Bridgford, parked on Meadow Lane  which seemed  so exotic to a Clifton boy at the time. London Rd and the South Notts / West Bridgford bus for me

• Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

There used to be a man up there who’d put numbers up to tell us the half time scores, I remember when he put the Forest score up he’d tease us as to which place he put the number, if it was for instance a 3 he put it in the away slot then change it to home slot. 

• Love 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i love reading the memories, the old scoreboard has been mentioned a fair bit during my time on pon and i have seen many of those pictures before. its nice to know that there was a joking element to it too.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I remember a smaller one from the 90s, that used to have very basic animations when goals were scored.

I have seen this one during my time though, but I can't share any good stories about it. I have heard other fans at Notts games tell me about it, so I know it meant a lot to fans who were fortunate to have seen it in action.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

I have no memories of the old Spion Kop scoreboard, but I do think preserving its history and the memories of fans is very important. I would welcome seeing more comments from fans here on PON who may have had the experience.

• Like 1