Managing Expectations with Notts

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

Are expectations good or bad? Does the pressure of aiming for promotion create unnecessary stress? Should the players handle this demand? And what’s the balance when things aren’t going as planned?

I think, in general, expectations are good, though less so when fans are unrealistic. For a club, having a target can help show where the squad and coaching team stand. Targets should be flexible, as signings in January might strengthen other clubs, which is part of the process.

From a fan's perspective, I see ambition as a healthier approach. I want Notts to reach the playoffs or higher if possible, but I can reflect on results and how the team performs before reviewing. If we’re not quite ready, I’d rather see the club become strong enough for League One.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It good to have expectations for your Club, Stuart will have expectations, so will the players and the fans.

If we lose, yes of course it will give many fans stress but it always passes over.

We can see from the different reactions on PON & social media that everyone has different expectations 

Listening to Stuart's post match interview he was disappointed with the result, but wanted to move on quickly to the next match. 

Some of the fans, such as myself we're very disappointed that we lost after having a two goal lead, then losing it by making defensive mistakes just like last season.

I want to see Notts try to win every single match they play, that my immediate expectation.

My expectation this season is to make the playoffs and have good cup runs. The league cup run died a death very quickly, so ones gone.

Others may see things differently, but at the end of the day everyone will want Notts to do well and keep improving to be successful. 

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

I think expectations about promotion is a fair reflection of the current situation at the club. I also think the club is ready. It feels solid.

Players and coaches should absolutely handle the fans` expectations about promotion. What I don`t respect is abuse and unfair criticism when things don`t go as expected.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@Morten Johansen

If we play like we did in the first half last night, I don't think we will be far away from the playoffs come May.

The three substitutions mid way through the second half disrupted Notts, but all being said, the first half performance was very encouraging.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

I think we are capable of promotion, but as games go on, my thoughts will change. I don’t think if we underperform it’s always down to us having unrealistic expectations. Usually, it comes down to poor form and struggling in spells. I don’t take our league standings too seriously, as football changes, but it’s good to have expectations, and the players should be able to cope with them.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  732
  • Days Won:  3

I am happy provided we have a real go at the league. We might not finish in the playoffs, and that is fine with me. I don’t lack ambition; I just feel that if we finish above our previous league position, it shows the club is moving in the right direction. There is too much uncertainty of having one good season, then one where you underperform. You have to balance expectations, which can be hard when your heart rules your mind.

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493

I would love promotion, but I won’t let that come at the cost of being unrealistic. I think we have a good squad, one which needs to settle. It could be good enough for League One, with some further additions to the team, but even if we fall out of the playoff spots, I am happy with the way the club is progressing. The way things are, we can build and become stronger. Once we are strong enough, I am sure promotion will come. It might not be this season, it might not be the next, but if we keep pushing and growing, it will happen. I try to enjoy the football more than anything.

• Like 3

• Chris changed the title to Managing Expectations with Notts

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  618

My mum takes things as they come, but my dad can be less forgiving. When I asked to join, he told me not to moan or be negative, but you should hear what he says after games. I don’t think we’re the world’s greatest team that will win every game. Even when we should do well, I reflect on the performances and results. We have a well-run club right now, with players who want to be here, so I don’t think being harsh is necessary. If we don’t get promoted this season, I’ll hope next year might be our year. As long as we’re putting in the effort and trying to improve, I’m happy.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

When you’ve watched Notts for as long as I have you learn to limit your expectations, I think these days fans expectations seem to be far higher than they were years ago, if Notts lose a few games then the manager should be sacked and we are going to be relegated, if we win a few on the trot we are going to be champions and the managers name rings round the ground.

I’m happy just to take each game as it comes and if we are good enough success will come. I do think we’ve got the best owners we’ve had for quite some time and with that in mind I expect things to slowly progress on and off the field.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i have said it before i balance my hopes and expectations based on how the season goes. you can have a good squad on paper that does not quite meet its potential but that is just football to me.

i want to see notts playing well, performing well in the league but when it does not work out to plan i wont give up my support.

there has been some dark times that notts has had to face and i think that if some fans or supporters cant accept how a season pans out without getting all mardy or negative. then i do wonder why people would choose to support notts. there is nothing wrong with saying why you feel notts should have done better but personally i accept it, and go again. if you start believing your expectations are the only way a club should do, you are leading yourself into misery.

balance things as they happen and reflect with the thoughts of improvement.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@liampie

Good grief I've seen some lows at Notts in my time, and have seen some magnificent highs as well.

I think the worse result for me was Notts losing to non league Runcorn in the FA Cup 1:0 in Dec 1967.

The best result & feeling for me was when Notts beat Brighton 3:1 in the 2nd division playoff final in 1991. Two playoff wins in a row

I think the seventies & early to late eighties are two exceptional stand out periods for Notts.As well as three periods in the nineties

The early 20s have started very well too, hopefully Notts can keep it going and make it a decade to rival the 70s

We enjoy the good times and put up with the bad times. But that is all what a football sporter's lot is.