Please Say It Ain't So

Wheelbarrow repair man

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,277
  • Days Won:  17

It has been reported that Interim England Coach Lee Carsley doesn't want the England Job. And the Four Main Candidates are now:-

Pep Guardiola

Thomas Tuchel

Graham Potter

and Eddie Howe.

And it seems German Tuchel is into Advanced Talks to take over the role vacated by Gareth Southgate after his resignation after the Three Lions failure to win the  2024 Euro's Final. Really? A German becoming the Head Coach of England's National Side? Please Say It Ain't So, this Surely must be a Joke ? Just Paper Talk? Can you Imagine the Controversy this will Stir Up if Tuchel is Appointed? Or Doesn't the FA Remember the History between the Two Countries. Do they honestly think England Fans will Follow a German Head Coach?  Social Media Platforms will Explode and Even the Main Stream Media (you would hope) would Condemn Such an Appointment.

Of the remaining three Candidates. Potter hasn't had Enough Head Coaching Experience. Pep would charge the Earth and Still wouldn't Embrace English Footballing Heritage. So that just leaves Eddie Howe. And he in My Opinion is the Right Man For The Job. Because he as Managed in the Lower League and Performed Miracles at Bournemouth taking them to the Premiership on a Shoe String Players Budget (compared to other Premiership Sides) and kept them in the Top Division for  Five Seasons. And I am Convinced he could get the Best out of England Top Players.

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,203
  • Days Won:  187
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Until an England manager chooses a team to play like a team rather than a bunch of individuals who will never play like a fine honed team, England will continue to fail to win any major international trophies.

In my opinion, the problems with being an England manager are two fold. One is FA interference & two is player power, which makes it near on impossible to manage an England team effectively.

I have always believed that England managers don't need to select the very best England players to build a team capable of winning tournaments. Unfortunately the powers that be don't agree with my opinion on that score.

The FA will want a high profile manager to manage high profile players, so you can bet your bottom dollar that the appointment will finish up being a big foreign name.

• Like 2

@Robbie

Reading your comment I'm in Full Agreement with you, but No Foreign Coach, no matter how successful he's been at Club Level will (as I've said) Not Embrace the English Footballing Heritage. The two Foreign Coaches the F.A have Appointed in the Past have proven that. That's why out of the Candidates mentioned Eddie Howe is (I Believe) the Right man for the Job. He would take the England team and Mold it into a Team and Not Let It Remain has a Bunch of Prima Donna Individuals, and I Don't think Howe would have his Favourites, just Players he'd think would to the job for an England TEAM.

Maybe that's what Happened to Big Sam, maybe he wanted to run the England Team his way much to the F.A.'s Annoyance and that's why he was Set Up to take the Newspaper Sting which forced him to Resign.?

• Like 1

Supporter+

Out of the candidates available I would prefer Eddie Howe, but the question would be, Would the FA?

Like you say @Wheelbarrow repair manwe've seen it all before where the FA just want a "yes" man in charge of England. I say in charge of England, but is he or she really in charge?

I noticed that Carsley tried to change a few things on the pitch, & guess what, the England team played crap against Greece. Was it due to the Greeks or was it due to something else closer to home? I expect the latter.

The only way individual players can be coached into a good working team is to treat the England team like a club team with players training together over an extended period, but this will never happen.

The only alternative is to have the England team made up of players from up to three teams, who knows each other & play together, week in week out. They do this with the Spanish team, & guess what, they win the Euros.

• Like 1

@Robbie

If I remember right all the way back in 1966 for the World Cup, the England Team only had 6 weeks together before the Finals Began, so further proof Alf Ramsey was a gifted Coach. Part of Ramsey's success was the fact he had an idea of the England Team he was going to put out for all the Matches, Group stages plus beyond, and I believe if it wasn't for the injury to Jimmy Greaves, Geoff Hurst wouldn't have got his chance in the starting line up. In fact when Greaves was declared fit, Ramsey still stuck with Hurst and the Rest as they say is History.

Regarding your idea of a team selected from three teams, which teams would you choose? Because the problem is, most Premier League teams Nowadays are Dominated by Foreign Players and English Talent needs to move abroad to get games against Top Class Players. Kane Sancho and Bellingham play abroad, but for different teams, do you leave them out of the England Team? And can you imagine the Uproar in the Media if the England Head Coach did? Also if I remember correctly an England Manager picked an England team with either 5 or 7 Liverpool players in it, because England needed to Win an Important Qualifying Match to  get to the World Cup Finals (during the 70's the Argentina tournament in 78 I think it was) but that failed, as the Three Lions either Lost or Drew the Match they needed to win.

Harking back to the time of when Walter Winterbottom was England Manager, he didn't pick the England team, that was done by a Selection Committee, could that even be the Case Today? The Committee select the Squad Members then it's up to the Head Coach to turn them into a Team? Could that be why the FA Only select Yes Men? And Managers who go against this protocol are either never chosen i.e Brian Clough or gotten Rid of i.e Big Sam because both Men wanted to Manage England Their Way?

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,046
  • Days Won:  162

not aimed at any one here, but i wished people would shut up about lee carsley. he has tried to experiment whilst in the role, i dont think you can instantly judge a new manager, especially an international one. i hope we go for someone english, because most likely they will understand how to get our nation playing good football. i wonder if now people dont like carsley, they regret being on gareth southgates back. 😛 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,890
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Personally it wouldn’t bother me if the coach was German or from Outer Mongolia for that matter as long as they got the players playing attractive and most importantly WINNING football.

Lets not be xenophobic here, a good coach is a good coach no matter where he was born.

Supporter+

Personally, I don't think the best coaches are in the PL. You will find many excellent coaches in the lower leagues.

Why does the England Manager need to be the absolute best coach & Manager?

We need a Manager that can build a team of players that is capable of getting to tournament finals, then possibly winning a tournament.

Gareth Southgate was far from being the best coach & manager but he was still quite successful as Manager of England.

• Like 1

I'm Xenophobic if I Don't want a Foreign Coach or Mainly a German Coach in Charge of the England Team. OK.

The fact of the Matter is I don't want a Foreign Coach in Charge of the England Team because it is my Belief that a Foreign Coach  Not matter how Successful with Fully Embrace the Historical Footballing Heritage of the English Game. Both former Foreign Coaches who have been in charge of the English National Side, despite their success at Club level have failed in the England Job.

Thomas Tuchel is German and I have pointed out how difficult a Job he will have should he take over the Reins of Leading England. Simply because History is Against him events that happened before he was Born shouldn't have an effect on his appointment, but it will be The First time England are Beaten under his Leadership all the Main Stream Media will Stir things up and References will be made to the Past Hostilities between our two Countries. Cast your mind back to the Headlines of the Gutter press of the 80's and 90's every time England and Germany Met in a Major Football Match. You Can Not Erase or Rewrite History.

Xenophobia is also a Form of Racism. Let me Fully State I am Not Racist I have Supported every Player who has pulled on a Notts Shirt, No Matter his Skin Colour Ethnic Origin which God he follows  or who he goes to Bed With, and I Will Continue to Do So, Even though I am a White Straight Male which at the Present Moment in time seems to be the Worst thing I can Possibly Be.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,100
  • Days Won:  54

It’s interesting in international football all the players have to be from that country (obviously) but there are no rules regarding the head coach/manager.

I guess for England it's not a big deal now because we've already had non-nationals manage us but some countries do make a big deal about the head coach being from that nation. The likes of Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Spain have always had managers from that country and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. (*OK Herrera wasn’t born/raised in Spain – but his parents were Spanish, he could speak it fluently so it’s pretty much the next best thing!)

It’s also a bit of a poor reflection on the English game if we can’t produce one coach for the job, given we can produce so many talented players surely we should be able to do the same with the coaches.

I agree with @liampie as well, I really don’t think Lee Carsley would be that bad of a choice, he’s won a European Championship with the U21’s, winning any kind of international tournament isn’t easy but for some reason that seems to not be valued.

• Like 1

@liampie and @menzinho

As I've stated before it appears Lee Carsley doesn't want the England Job. The Press seem to think he's talked himself out of the position by stating, he's been given six matches and that's all he's interested in. He as also stated that the Position is for a Coach who's won trophies, something he says he's still working on? Despite Winning a Trophy with the England Youth set up. Seems very Strange. Mind you after the Flak he got after Greece defeat he's probably thought he doesn't want that Sort of Hassel and he's quite content to Coach the England Youth. Team.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Looks like our worse fears are going to be realised & the FA will probably pick a Manager, (Tuchel) who managed one of the "top six" clubs  (Chelsea) for a 100 games.

He had a good record at Chelsea, but it's a big club that can afford the best players.

As I said earlier, are these managers that manage in the PL the best, or does it just seem that way?

• Sad 1

@Robbie

It was this statement that made me write the Topic in the First Place, that Tuchel was in advanced Talks with the FA Simply because they can't get their number one Choice Pep. Interestingly enough the England Players seem to be on Lee Carsley's side and have Praised his efforts of trying to bring New Ideas to the fore, however it would seem the FA Doesn't want Carsley to do that and Media want what the FA Want hence the Flack he got after the Greece defeat. Who by the way are a side that are Footballing Minnows (according to the Football Press) compared to the Three Lions and yet and Yet have Won more Euro Titles than England Have. That's how Poor Greece are. Who can Blame Carsley from Not wanting the Abuse Stirred Up by the Media which will Eventually involve his Family you can Rely on that because that's how the British Gutter Press work. High praise for a week or so when you win a Match and then Abuse and name calling when you lose a Match for months on end. So Why Not be in Charge for the Six Matches he's been Allocated, then Simply fade back into the Relative Obscurity of Coaching the England U 21 Side.

• Like 1

Supporter+

If a coach such as Luke Williams or Stuart Maynard have the chance to work with the best players in the land, whose to say that a coach such as those two couldn't manage England effectively.

Gareth Southgate was relatively unknown as a Manager. The only Club side he managed were Middlesbrough for 3 years, before he managed the England under 21s after being out of football for four years after being sacked by Middlesbrough.

• Like 1

Supporter+

There you go @Wheelbarrow repair man

• Sad 1