I've got a bit of a dilemma to think about

4everapie

Poinstewsrdsts to keep in your mind, when reading.

1.I have been a steward for 28 years, and the longest serving steward.

2. We have always had to sign in for duty by 1pm.On Saturdays.

Left home a bit later than usual on Saturday, so had to hurry, was out of breath, due to the recent respiratory failure, by the time I got to the stewards room. Got there at 5 to 1, only to be told that I was to late to sign in and to go home. I said it's only 5 to. Sorry to late.

I asked If could watch the game. Yes but only if you buy a ticket. I didn't exit ground and went into Lawtons bar and had a couple of drinks, and stayed and watched game. I was fuming after being treated like this.

My dilemma is I am thinking of a season ticket. And tell them to stuff it. But the money I earn there helps towards our holidays. And I do get to see all the game. Am I cutting my nose off to spite my face.

A season ticket would cost me 220.00 pounds.

But I enjoy stewarding.

Can you see my dilemma.

P.s

sorry its a bit long winded.

Why don't you try to talk to them? Surely it's understandable anyone could be late, especially with your health concerns.

I wouldn't throw the towel in over being late, I would speak to someone and try to reach a formal agreement. If they're not interested, well I can say they're losing out on a good steward because you're very friendly and know your stuff. Compared to some who struggle to tie their own shoe laces, I'm not saying this to be offensive to anyone but some really do tune out and uninterested in their jobs.

Good Luck mate!

Ps. If this can't be resolved, buy a season ticket.

Thats what I was fuming about, as I wasn't late. Anyway Saturday's episode is done with. Will get there earlier for next game.

You should write to the club anyway, to inform tham of what happened. I'm sure they won't be pleased. Which stand do you 'steward'?

Poinstewsrdsts to keep in your mind, when reading.

1.I have been a steward for 28 years, and the longest serving steward.

2. We have always had to sign in for duty by 1pm.On Saturdays.

Left home a bit later than usual on Saturday, so had to hurry, was out of breath, due to the recent respiratory failure, by the time I got to the stewards room. Got there at 5 to 1, only to be told that I was to late to sign in and to go home. I said it's only 5 to. Sorry to late.

I asked If could watch the game. Yes but only if you buy a ticket. I didn't exit ground and went into Lawtons bar and had a couple of drinks, and stayed and watched game. I was fuming after being treated like this.

My dilemma is I am thinking of a season ticket. And tell them to stuff it. But the money I earn there helps towards our holidays. And I do get to see all the game. Am I cutting my nose off to spite my face.

A season ticket would cost me 220.00 pounds.

But I enjoy stewarding.

Can you see my dilemma.

P.s

sorry its a bit long winded.

The plus's outweigh the negatives @4everapie.You enjoy stewarding and have been doing it for a long time,so don't let this episode  change things.

Thats what I was fuming about, as I wasn't late. Anyway Saturday's episode is done with. Will get there earlier for next game.

I'm glad you're not letting a 'job'sworth' spoil things for you. :thumbsup:

Don't let an enjoyable job get wasted by a muppet. If you've been stewarding for that long then you're obviously good at your job. Every club has poor stewards, but event the thickest of managers can spot the weak ones and eventually weed them out. I sort of speak from experience as I used to be deputy ground control at Trent Bridge CG. I loved the job, and to be honest often wonder what would I be doing now if i kept that job as full time rather than going into teaching. stewards are either good at what they do or aren't. From my experience there isn't a lot of middle ground. You sound like a good one who cares about what he does and that goes a long way in my book. I've managed upwards of 100 and some when we had test matches at TB and you easily spot whose who!

As others have advised, contact the club to air your concerns with how it was handled. And like you said, if you choose to continue, now you now they are seriously arsey about timing, even if u wasn't late, that 5 mins extra next week will be important.

Hope you sort it to a conclusion that you are happy with either way.

:)

Supporter+

I hope you manage to get this sorted it seems silly, if you weren't late what was the problem? Did they have a different time on their clock?

Don't let an enjoyable job get wasted by a muppet. If you've been stewarding for that long then you're obviously good at your job. Every club has poor stewards, but event the thickest of managers can spot the weak ones and eventually weed them out. I sort of speak from experience as I used to be deputy ground control at Trent Bridge CG. I loved the job, and to be honest often wonder what would I be doing now if i kept that job as full time rather than going into teaching. stewards are either good at what they do or aren't. From my experience there isn't a lot of middle ground. You sound like a good one who cares about what he does and that goes a long way in my book. I've managed upwards of 100 and some when we had test matches at TB and you easily spot whose who! As others have advised, contact the club to air your concerns with how it was handled. And like you said, if you choose to continue, now you now they are seriously arsey about timing, even if u wasn't late, that 5 mins extra next week will be important. Hope you sort it to a conclusion that you are happy with either way. :)

You may know either Lesley Walton or Malcom Whitt who does cricket. These are our safety officers. And are coming down hard on people. To be honest it's needed at Notts. But you have to use common sense. Have spoke to a few stewards on social media. And of the 9, 7 are packing it up after this season, and they have been there about 4/5 seasons. Its not a happy ship with us stewards.

Edit

Forgot to mention in my original post, we only get paid from 1pm to 5pm. So if they want us to sign in before say 12.30, then not only are we standing around for an extra half hour we are not getting paid for it. They don't open gates till 1.30 anyway, Christ's sake we only get 4500 average gates, not 20000.

It sounds like a real mess with the stewarding at ML.

Malcolm's name rings a bell, but not sure. It's been 20 odd years since I gave up the job at TB.

I know you say coming down hard is needed at notts, but there are ways and means of getting stewards to do there job well and increase their efficiency.

Signing in early is not on, but with the job being so interchangeable, most rules are down to the person in charge, common sense or not!

I agree about the attendance issue should reflect in the stewarding. It was a total different job running a test match to running a county championship 4 day game with only the members of TB and a handful of others there, but you still needed professionalism.

@4everapie If i was you you should read what is says in your contract of employment as they like any other employer are required to give you due notice to a change in contractual obligations (normally 90 days for an amendment to your hours of employment etc) ie the time you are required to be on site, if they haven't and there isn't a stipulated time frame within your contract of employment then you should go straight to either the owner or the HR boss because again, if there isn't any stipulated conditions re the time you are required to be on site from then they are liable to not only pay you for the shift but also the manager or managers in question (the ones who sent you home) are also required to issue an apology for what happened.

Hope this helps  B)

To bring it to a conclusion. Seen the powers at be, at the womens game tonight. Told them I wasn't happy at how things were handled. And how long I've been there. They've apologised. And can I be there for 12.45. Which is fine now I know the time to be there.

To bring it to a conclusion. Seen the powers at be, at the womens game tonight. Told them I wasn't happy at how things were handled. And how long I've been there. They've apologised. And can I be there for 12.45. Which is fine now I know the time to be there.

Glad to read there is still mature people and that its been resolved.

Stewarding? Nice job. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you've got it sorted... it all seems abit silly to have to get there so early and not be paid for an hour. I'm sure those in charge wouldn't accept not being paid for all the time they work there. After your health problems they should accept being a little later than expected... everything doesn't always run to plan.

Archived