Shaun Derry wants Notts County to finish 'Great Escape' with a bang

cheeky~k8

Nottingham post's article;

Shaun Derry wants Notts County to finish 'Great Escape' with a bang

SHAUN Derry wants Notts County to finish their 'Great Escape' with a bang as he vowed not to play for the draw which will guarantee their survival.

The Magpies boss is bracing his team for one of the club's biggest matches in their recent history when they travel to Oldham on Saturday.

Notts need just a point at Boundary Park to retain their League One status, which could have led Derry to deploy defensive tactics for the showdown.

But the Magpies chief says that's not in his nature and has made it clear that he wants to finish one of the unlikeliest escape acts in style.

"I don't want us to play for the draw, I want to go and win the game instead," said Derry. "I've made that clear and with the form that we are in I certainly feel we can do it as well.

"Naturally we will show Oldham the utmost respect, of course we will.

"Fair credit to them and Lee Johnson because he has done a great job.

"But it's not about them. I am only concentrating on us and I really want all three points.

"And if we stay up, I know it will be my greatest achievement.

"I now appreciate all those times I knocked on the manager's door when I was a player and caused havoc, I now know there are two sides to the story."

Ticket sales for Notts' date with destiny were continuing to soar yesterday with the club having already sold their initial allocation of 3,000.

A further 1,000 were given to the Magpies and a sell-out is expected which will give the players an army of support.

It's one of the biggest followings the club has taken to a league fixture since playing Lincoln City in 1998 in a Division Three promotion clash.

The club's marketing manager Damian Irvine says the atmosphere promises to be something special.

"The level of support we will be taking is absolutely phenomenal," he said.

"To have sold our initial allocation of 3,000 so quickly just goes to show what this club is all about.

To view the full article click here

Oldham have a decent front line at this level, so we will have to counter balance our attacks. Of course if we score first, it will make a huge difference and I have been saying we need to play for the win. End the season in the right way, however we must be careful. The change in partnership at the back leaves us questionable, will Haydn Hollis and whoever joins him as CB have the understand he did prior with Mullins?

I think we'll be fine whoever comes in and I am not remotely worried.

We are in a great position and Shaun Derry is right about what he's said. Survival will really mean Derry's completed the impossible, It would be funny to end the game playing that theme tune or perhaps at the event of Sunday after the ladies game. haha!

Thats good, always had a lot of respect for you guys. Oldham will look like a poxy in comparison. Do you think you will win? Sell your remaining tickets? Shaun Derry is proving himself with limited resources, next year could be promising.

Thats good, always had a lot of respect for you guys. Oldham will look like a poxy in comparison. Do you think you will win? Sell your remaining tickets? Shaun Derry is proving himself with limited resources, next year could be promising.

I think we will personally, we're playing well and even when we struggle, it just doesn't seem to be the same Notts we once watched within this season. I think it will be one of those games where the first goal will calm things down, so aslong we get it I will be happy!

The remaining tickets would be great to see sold, yet I think 3.5k will be about the amount.

Possibly more if Oldham allow fans to pay on the day, yet I am not sure they will do this.

We need to be at them from the second the whistle blows until it finishes. Hurrying and harassing is the best way forward in a game like this. High tempo etc...

i just hope we focus on singing and making the most of it, i will be listening to make sure and i am going to have a word with @GrannyPie about those who dont from here. ;)

Supporter+

We need to be at them from the second the whistle blows until it finishes. Hurrying and harassing is the best way forward in a game like this. High tempo etc...

Yes, I agree with everything you said there. Oldham aren't going to lie down and let us win, they will be fighting to send us down, it's up to us to make sure we are fighting tooth and nail for a win.

Archived