Never go back ?

Feral Fox

I noticed that Walsall have released Craig Westcarr on a free in their end of season clear out. 17 goals this season shows he can still score a few.

Would you go back in for the player that split opinion at Meadow Lane? Some loved him and others accused him or drifting in games. Quite frankly I would rather have him than Arquin. At least Westcarr could adapt himself and play on the wing where Arquin obviously couldn't do anything other than be the star man. If he wasn't that then you would get zero from him. A return of 17 in a season shows he has the eye for goal, but the question needs asking that why is Walsall willing to let their top scorer leave. Contract issues or something else?

The mind boggles. Westcarr? Once was enough, thanks.

Scored some neat goals - in a very good team, granted. Spent the majority of most games hiding behind defenders, avoiding the ball and looking decidedly average. For Westcarr also read Haynes - almost identical except Haynes didn't bother scoring as often.

Supporter+

If he scored 17 for us I'd have him back definitely, lazy or not if he scores goals that'll do for me.

If he scored 17 for us I'd have him back definitely, lazy or not if he scores goals that'll do for me.

Sort of my thinking too really. Cant say I'm a big fan, but surely 17 in a season when he is being called lazy? imagine what SD and GA could do with him! 20 a season no probs.

Some Premiership strikers aren't as mobile as some think, yet because they score 15+ goals and some screamers. You get people going OTT about them! Would I welcome Westcarr back, of course! Could he do a job? I think so but it's a case of 'if'.

He can play on the wing or upfront, I wouldn't mind him as a squad player.

I have the faith that Derry can get the best out of any player who he chooses to work with.

Agreed. I think the point is Derry and his demands and what he can do with a player rather than the players past history. No arguments Westcarr could be lazy, but with a good man manager I'm sure we could get a hateful out of him when required.

• 1 month later...

Gone down south....

Craig Westcarr: Portsmouth sign former Walsall striker

Portsmouth have signed free agent Craig Westcarr on a two-year contract after the striker was released by Walsall.

The forward, 29, joined the Saddlers in January 2013 after a loan spell and scored 22 goals in 72 appearances.

"Craig brings something different to our attack, he's a welcome addition to the squad," manager Andy Awford told the club website.

"I'm looking forward to working with him when the squad return for pre-season training."

Westcarr becomes Pompey's third signing of the summer, following the capture of goalkeeper Paul Jones and midfielder Danny Hollands.

Archived