Notts County vs Colchester United

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This will be a test of character, I'm expecting a better performance but I always said this would be more difficult than last Saturday's game. If a team gets on top of us, it's going to be interesting to see how we respond. I am hopeful for a win but I see a draw.

We need to get our first win, I'll be in the crowd trying to impact the game vocally.

It will be depressing if it doesn't go to plan. 2-2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

As you say, tomorrow and Saturday could be a difference maker in our season.

Yes I know it's only 4 games into a season however, The atmosphere plummeted within 45 minutes of our first home game.

It's going to take games, to get a good feeling back.

I think we will have a reaction, and a better performance.

Notts 3 - 1 Colchester

Murray

Smith (is he still injured?) I hope not!! He's been a rock so far, especially Preston and Sheffield Wednesday

Cassidy

I can't see more than 4500 people going, wish I was there tho :)

And i'm working too, so i'll miss it. And you know what happens when when i moss a game :(

COYP

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Hoping for a win, despite the somewhat alarming news that Edwards is back on board and Derry has registered as a player!

It will be my first visit to the Lane this season, the reports I've received in respect of previous games have not been encouraging. As ever, I remain eternally optimistic. We'll win it.

Come on you Piiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeees.

As in Mike Edwards???

As in Mike Edwards???

Yeah, I think it's a sensible signing personally. He can do a "steady" job and with our defence, minus Mullins being experienced he offers something else. We wouldn't be able to sign someone who's more rounded, though even then I would be pleased with this.

Unsure about Derry playing but he could give it ago against Colchester.

We could do without our manager getting injured tho. :P

I'd be more use than either Edwards or Derry - even with dodgy knees and 25 too many years on the clock!

The number of over 30's in the squad is beyond belief, of over 33's - defies credibility tbh.

The lack of pace & mobility in the squad is a concern, accentuating the problem doesn't offer much comfort. Times are tough, stormy water ahead.......

Still think we'll win tho'.

I'd be more use than either Edwards or Derry - even with dodgy knees and 25 too many years on the clock!

The number of over 30's in the squad is beyond belief, of over 33's - defies credibility tbh.

The lack of pace & mobility in the squad is a concern, accentuating the problem doesn't offer much comfort. Times are tough, stormy water ahead.......

Still think we'll win tho'.

We will need to get your boots ready for the game @Pies4u...

If you don't at least score once, I will be disappointed after the above. I agree about mobility and age, it's a concern but hopefully we can see players step up. I do think having Derry on the field will mean some players won't hide.

• Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Notts season starts here.....3-1 Pies!!!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Notts 4 - 1 Colchester

Hopefully Jeremy Balmy will get a shot from the off tonight with Zeli Ismail on the other wing, lets go for the jugular not wait for them to play the ball around our immobile central midfield

• Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Both teams are winless. Coincidentally we both drew our first game, were trashed in the League Cup and lost by the odd goal on Saturday. From what I've seen of Colchester, they are a limited side. Plenty of spirit though. They gave Bristol City a good game on Saturday. Their dangerman is George Moncur. On loan from West Ham. 2 in 2 games. He's a real talent at this level.

I think we'll win 2-1. Cassidy and Hollis.

Around 5K in attendance.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743

Hoping for a much improved performance and our first win.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,301
  • Days Won:  69

Good luck tonight,I hope you get your first win and with a good performance and restore a bit of optimism.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

Well folks... WHAT A GAME!!

Incidents and drama aplenty - an early goal, a wonder strike, Derry being sent to the stands and TWO sending-offs for the Magpies, but we've squeaked a 2-1 win!!! 

Thoughts on the game? Man of the match?

I don't get the we're rubbish comments on FB.

We played OK, defence was sleeping and so was our play but on the ground we looked okay. I see it coming along, they need to settle and form needs to come into it.

We looked dangerous at times.

There was chances for both, equally as good and we did well to even hang in there. The ref was odd. Tho I don't think he was "bad, bad". Just the average League One referee to be fair.

It will be interesting to see Derry play.

Fair result, we deserved the win.

P.s Man of the Match Liam Noble for me.

Scrappy game, good opening 15 minutes then we lost shape, direction and composure. We created few opportunities, looked shaky defensively and made far too many unforced errors.

However, we won - despite having 2 men sent off & both goals were sublimely taken.

Thought the few touches of class came from Jones & Noble tbh but neither were consistent and they both disappeared for long spells. Murray & Cassudy both work hard but have no understanding whatsoever. Wroe should be locked up, ludicrous challenge then a stupid, fundamental error.

MOTM - tough call - probably Noble.

• Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

There you go Pies, every faith in you, AND you only need 9 men!!!

There you go Pies, every faith in you, AND you only need 9 men!!!

Plus no manager :P

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

What did I bloody tell you hey"

Sounds like i missed a blinder

At least we won,

COYP

• Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I hate to say it but we look like relegation candidates again. Colchester will be relegated I reckon, yet they were our equal or better last night. Massive improvement is needed. The defence is wide open. Thank goodness for Roy Carroll. Tom Pope next Saturday is a scary thought.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It was certainly an eventful game, I thought Notts played awful at times, they just seemed to give Colchester loads of space and time on the ball and we looked very dodgy at the back and lacking in midfield. If it wasn't for Carroll and the fact that Colchester left their shooting boots at home we could have lost this by a big margin.

However on the positive side what we did show was lots of grit, determination and team spirit to get us through the game. Very disappointed with the sendings off, the ref was awful but we didn't help ourselves, the young lad Keane who had been booked in the first half should have been more careful knowing that the ref was card happy and the two bookings for Wroe within the space of 7 minutes were silly and again should have been avoided, if you've been booked and then kick the ball away from a free kick situation then the ref has no option but to book you again and produce the red card.

Shaun Derry was sent to the stands he has apologised and said he let the side down which is fair enough it is an emotional game but he should learn to hold his tongue, we needed him on the pitchside not up in the stands.

Notts' goals were very good and Noble's goal was worth the admission fee on its own. Players that impressed me were Ismail he looks a good prospect very enthusiastic, Nobel who ran his socks off all night, Mullins had a steady game and my man of the match was Roy Carroll, some outstanding saves which no doubt kept us in the game and had the opposition's manager holding his head in his hands on more than one occasion because he couldn't believe the saves he was making.

I wasn't impressed with Dumbaya who in my opinion had a poor game and was run ragged at the back time and time again.

Still plenty of work to do Notts but at least we got the three points because of a doggedly determined attitude.

• Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

It was certainly an eventful game, I thought Notts played awful at times, they just seemed to give Colchester loads of space and time on the ball and we looked very dodgy at the back and lacking in midfield. If it wasn't for Carroll and the fact that Colchester left their shooting boots at home we could have lost this by a big margin.

However on the positive side what we did show was lots of grit, determination and team spirit to get us through the game. Very disappointed with the sendings off, the ref was awful but we didn't help ourselves, the young lad Keane who had been booked in the first half should have been more careful knowing that the ref was card happy and the two bookings for Wroe within the space of 7 minutes were silly and again should have been avoided, if you've been booked and then kick the ball away from a free kick situation then the ref has no option but to book you again and produce the red card.

Shaun Derry was sent to the stands he has apologised and said he let the side down which is fair enough it is an emotional game but he should learn to hold his tongue, we needed him on the pitchside not up in the stands.

Notts' goals were very good and Noble's goal was worth the admission fee on its own. Players that impressed me were Ismail he looks a good prospect very enthusiastic, Nobel who ran his socks off all night, Mullins had a steady game and my man of the match was Roy Carroll, some outstanding saves which no doubt kept us in the game and had the opposition's manager holding his head in his hands on more than one occasion because he couldn't believe the saves he was making.

I wasn't impressed with Dumbaya who in my opinion had a poor game and was run ragged at the back time and time again.

Still plenty of work to do Notts but at least we got the three points because of a doggedly determined attitude.

What was your opinion on Hayden Hollis? Having watched the highlights he was ball watching for their equaliser which is criminal at professional level, I also saw that both Roy Carroll & Liam Noble both had a go at him about his positioning. 

Hollis is error prone, gives me the jitters every time he goes near the ball. If he connects, he "clears his lines" as CS would say. If not, he's worth a goal a game to the opposition, thought he was poor last night.

The sendings off were avoidable but Keane's was out of desperation and inexperience. Wroe was ridiculously childish and Derry defied belief. I can only assume that, like me, he couldn't believe how flat footed and ponderous Hollis actually was when Sears was advancing on him!

For all the slagging off Jones has had elsewhere, thought he looked classy & composed. I can forgive a bit of immobility and tiredness if you can actually control, hold & pass the ball. Wish we had signed him 5 years ago but still a quality player, full stop, the end.

I think it's early to say we're relegation candidates, I think if we find some form we should see the players settle.

It's not going to help with injuries if players are being sent off, I notice how Shaun Derry missed this off his interview with the NEP/TIN. I don't think injuries are solely to blame, I think they're still learning to play with each other. Murray looked pretty decent, though he's getting negative comments. Hollis did okay at times but Mullins wasn't really picking up either.

Gary Jones looked woeful to me, running with the ball and losing it. Passing the ball, yet not hitting it in the right direction or even with enough power to reach his target.

When he did, he looked okay.

Archived