Canary Islands - anyone been

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Its Mrs. H's 60th this year and I am thinking of taking her to the Canary Islands, we have never flown before but were wondering about an all inclusive holiday somewhere quietish.

We aren't big on night life or anything like that, we just want a relaxing holiday near the beach where we can chill out and do nothing for 10 days or so.

Anyone got any recommendations or advice, which resort? Hotel? Holiday company? etc.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've heard good things about it.

I also recall watching one of those 'home' buying programmes where this family set up a bread and breakfast from the pub they purchased. If only you could track that down, as the owner was into brewing his own 'fine real ale'. It could be a nice little place to stay, depending if it's near the location within Canary Island you would like to visit. What would Mrs H think?

Have fun booking and visiting @tonyhateley.

Supporter+

I've heard good things about it.

I also recall watching one of those 'home' buying programmes where this family set up a bread and breakfast from the pub they purchased. If only you could track that down, as the owner was into brewing his own 'fine real ale'. It could be a nice little place to stay, depending if it's near the location within Canary Island you would like to visit. What would Mrs H think?

Have fun booking and visiting @tonyhateley.

Blooming eck!! That sounds like heaven. :magnificent:

@tonyhateley Only problem, @super_ram is now coming with you! :lol::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Supporter+

@tonyhateley Only problem, @super_ram is now coming with you! :lol::thumbsup::rolleyes:

I'll let Mrs. H. know her seat on the plane has been taken. :joker:  I'm sure she won't mind.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i have been a few times, i have some family on my mothers side who live there. its nice and quiet but not a great deal to do, at least for people my age.

Supporter+

i have been a few times, i have some family on my mothers side who live there. its nice and quiet but not a great deal to do, at least for people my age.

Which areas/resorts would you say are quietest @liampie? We like quiet but I can understand why a young lad wants a bit of life, I did at your age.

Which areas/resorts would you say are quietest @liampie? We like quiet but I can understand why a young lad wants a bit of life, I did at your age.

if you like walks, beaches and quietness but with in distance of other things look up playa blanca.

one of the most scenery places i have been to. 

Supporter+

if you like walks, beaches and quietness but with in distance of other things look up playa blanca.

one of the most scenery places i have been to. 

Cheers mate, I'll have a look at that. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

Stay well clear of anywhere travel agents say, that is my recommendation.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

Club Magic Life, Jandia Fuertaventura. Amazing place.

Regards Allen. You Pies!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

@tonyhateley, we stayed at Puerto Santiago over the summer in Tenerife. To hot then, but it drops a little for the rest of the year. When are you thinking of?

I wouldn't recommend the hotel in August for what you want, but a lot of the guests I spoke to visit over this time of year as well and love it. Not a beach hols, but the views are to die for and the pools were excellent ( even better now that the usual pool activities won't be going on!)

http://m.barcelo.com/en_GB/hotels/spain/the-canary-islands-tenerife/hotel-barcelo-santiago/rooms/index.jsp

We went with Thompson's half board and went all inclusive at the hotel itself. Saved over £500 by going all in when we got there rather than booking before hand.

Great little area with a few shops or bars and the locals are friendly, especially if you go up to the town, but the walk is high up a hill. Wecmadecthe mistake of trying to take Ben in his wheelchair one day. Bad move!

Fifteen bottles of water later we gave up and flagged a taxi.

Have you thought about Majorca?

My only return hotel is there. We like to try new places, but this one is worth returning to.

http://www.thomascook.com/destinations/spain/balearic-islands/majorca/can-picafort/exagon-park/"

Supporter+

Thanks everyone, we would be going in November so plenty of time to mull over different options. @hissingdwarf thanks for the links I think Majorca wouldn't be warm enough in November but the other one looks good, shame there isn't a beach though, we like sitting on the beach Mrs H reads and sunbathes while I do a bit of snorkelling.

What are the local buses like would we need to hire a car?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Thanks everyone, we would be going in November so plenty of time to mull over different options. @hissingdwarf thanks for the links I think Majorca wouldn't be warm enough in November but the other one looks good, shame there isn't a beach though, we like sitting on the beach Mrs H reads and sunbathes while I do a bit of snorkelling.

What are the local buses like would we need to hire a car?

Probably best to hire a car tbh.  Beaches aren't the best in Tenerife. For superb beaches you might want to try Maspalomas in Gran Canaria. The beaches there are the best I've seen. Some lovely hotels such as 

http://www.expedia.co.uk/Gran-Canaria-Hotels-H10-Playa-Meloneras-Palace.h913007.Hotel-Information?chkin=01/02/2015&chkout=02/02/2015

http://www.expedia.co.uk/Arguineguin-Hotels-Radisson-Blu-Resort.h14258.Hotel-Information?chkin=26/01/2015&chkout=27/01/2015

Have a look at Thomson or Thomas Cook for the dates. 

Remember the tip about all inclusive though. Email the hotel first and ask them their prices per person per day to go from hb to ai then check that against the brochure. I'll guarantee it'll be cheaper to go hb and pay the hotel directly for ai.

You visited Malta on your last cruise didn't you? Good weather there at that time of year as well.

jandia fuertaventura can be busy just to warn you. depends when you!

Supporter+

Oh dear! Mrs. H. has spotted a cruise to the Canary Islands that she fancies. This is going to cost an arm and a leg. :panic:

Will you be staying at a destination and travelling via a cruise? Or has the whole game plan changed now?

Interesting development.

Archived