When people say 'I retire'.

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

As the title says, when people say 'I retire' basically it means that they'll tempt fate when given the first opportunity!

Why? I played football and I said I had given it up. Jesus I'm 27, though considering my knee related problems it's understandable but I miss it. I twisted my left knee five minutes in, dropped to the ground in a lot of pain (I actually feared I had dislocated my knee). Man, I was shocking! That's after I got up. :thumbsup::huh::lol:

Mind I did score, either 2 or 3 times but that's not important.

@super_pie did ever so well! He's never played with adults before and I think having @the_dan1 mentoring him, he'll have a bright future.

Before anyone tells me I am mad, this was just a bit of fun but I do hope I can regain some strength in my knees from doing things.

I don't want to fear dislocating my knees or the fear of worse, it's actually a very positive thing because I overcame something I have been quite worried about.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

I stopped playing football after I dropped down several leagues to play in the local Saturday leagues (mainly due to the stupid travelling distances) around here and to be blunt the standard was shocking, I played just over 30 games and due to bad tackles I broke my foot and cracked my shin in two of those.

I always played with the thinking that if I was playing against someone who was from a higher level that I would try & learn from what they did but the clowns around here just wanted to try & break your legs as a sort of trophy and with my first child coming along at any moment I stopped playing, that was in 2008 and I have only played three times since & that was in 7 a side games.

Well done for overcoming your fears mate & I bet @super_pie enjoyed it!!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I retired from Rugby (aged 28) and in the end football too (aged 33), at the time of retiring from Rugby, I was told by medical professionals that if I continued playing I would be in a wheelchair permanently by the time I was 40. For the football, It was a little down to the knees and ankle, but just as much as @Northants Pie has said, players being poor, just going to drink and kick the hide off the opposition.

Well done @notts-joe

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I've never been particularly sporty (as in playing) I was never any good at any sport.

As kids before we had a game of football teams used to be picked I was always the next to last to be picked just before the fat lad with glasses. I was rubbish so I do envy you folk who have managed to play at whatever level, good for you.

I have always had to content myself with watching sport and dreaming of what might have been.

I'm absolutely feeling it today, struggled to get back and my joints are quite sore (yes it's my own fault).

Though it makes me more determined to avoid having any operations, I mean I don't want them cutting my knee open or replacing it (especially since I've met many people who have had bad experiences). I'm going to hit a gym hard and really come back stronger! I know I can do this, when I twisted my knee I was so angry with myself but after a few minutes I was okay actually.

@Northants Pie - Ouch mate, that's not good! Jake loved it, I was concerned he wouldn't but he did well.

Thanks @PTID1862 - I didn't realize you're a rugby fan/player.

@tonyhateley - I was the type of person who could play any sport and do well at it, very, very sporty. Believe it or not, I would have picked you and any others who people decided to leave out. Why? I didn't like seeing people left out and I had a knack for helping those who struggled play well, especially at football. My teams would always be made up of the last picks and often we'd beat the one's who thought they were Real Madrid.

I think everyone is good at one sports or another. I am sure you do, I would say tiddlywinks but I don't want to offend as that wouldn't be my attention!

It's not about 'giving up', I can happily do that because the risk is serious but I don't want to stand by and let my knees become worse. I also want to get out more, do things because for 27 years I haven't lived. I've allowed an illness I struggle to cope with to control my life and I am quite content to say this publicly.

Thanks!

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

@notts-joe I wish you'd been around to pick me in the '60s it would have done wonders for my confidence, even the PE teacher gave up on me :biggrin: as for tiddlywinks I've played it but it's not really a sport is it?

Keep battling on mate.

@tonyhateley PE Teachers are naturally quite useless and lazy.

It's funny how many are failed sports men and women! In fact one of my schools former teachers recently joined @Dan's team. He had a bad reputation though, @william1984 will know better because he left by time I reached year 11. I had a PE Teacher called Mr Watson, one of the most complicated teachers I have ever met. He give no time to mentor or help anyone in sports, yet he would encourage people to do well in Maths and English. Go figure?

He also couldn't take losing!

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

keep going mate, you are doing well @notts-joe

just remember that are taking small steps, you can get it back.

• 5 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

I stopped playing football after I dropped down several leagues to play in the local Saturday leagues (mainly due to the stupid travelling distances) around here and to be blunt the standard was shocking, I played just over 30 games and due to bad tackles I broke my foot and cracked my shin in two of those.

I always played with the thinking that if I was playing against someone who was from a higher level that I would try & learn from what they did but the clowns around here just wanted to try & break your legs as a sort of trophy and with my first child coming along at any moment I stopped playing, that was in 2008 and I have only played three times since & that was in 7 a side games.

Well done for overcoming your fears mate & I bet @super_pie enjoyed it!!

I like playing with people who don't mind, I'm glad that dad found the right people because we have a laugh. Nobody takes it too seriously, so its good.

Thank you.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

I like playing with people who don't mind, I'm glad that dad found the right people because we have a laugh. Nobody takes it too seriously, so its good.

Thank you.

No worries young man glad you enjoyed it  :)

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

After the umpteenth back spasm I gave up martial arts and competitive sports (football mainly) at 37. I then started football coaching which I love and couldn't help joining in. Playing the end game with U16s another back spasm led to proper investigation to discover a bulging disc. Nothing to be done but exercise may help so I still joined in. Team now U18s so I don't bother (too fast,strong) but kick every ball and itch to play again.

Bit the bullet and I'm gonna try Thursday night to see how the old body holds out. Have to say I'm really looking forward to it. Not retired yet!

I was told age 16 that if I carried on playing football I would probably screw my ankle up so bad I may not be able to walk on it.

Still playing  :lol:

But are you still walking? :/

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

But are you still walking? :/

Yep. Don't get me wrong, the ankle is weak, and it can be sprained fairly easily when playing football. It's the quick change of direction. Running doesn't affect it, as you are mostly going in one direction.

I seem to think doctors a lot of the time over-exaggerate these type of things. I guess it comes back to this suing culture. They play it on the safe side, even if they know that chances are the person will be fine. Obviously this is not the case for all people, just my experience. I tend to avoid a lot of these health advices, yes OK, if I drink 20 pints a day I will probably end up with a shorter life span. However, if I eat too much carbohydrates it will give me an X% increase of getting cancer, I don't buy. If you went by some doctors advice, you would spend your time drinking only water, most probably be some kind of vegetarian and spend the rest of your time exercising in a non contact/joint impacting way. Not for me, I'm afraid. I'll take 10 years off my pension life sat in front of a TV and I'll drink 10 pints on a Saturday night, have a greasy kebab, and I'll play football when I want. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Tried football. But failed, as i always wanted the ball to come to me. Ha ha

Volleyball on the other hand, now that's my sport. Went to the nationals with mellish in year 11.

Now playing in a league over here

I played football tonight with @Captain Sticky.... I..... Re..... Ti.... Re.... No.... More.... Football!

Also @NCC Magpie was there, he kindly got me a drink afterwards when we had a chat. If it wasn't for trying to get fit (after my knees) I'd never step foot near a ball again, literally I feel like a zombie now. Time to start doing more running/cardio work I think.

Fair play to CS and NM, they did well.

Archived