My Bt Account

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I use BT for phone, TV and broadband.

I have just tried to find out when my BT contract ends, I went to the "contact us" page on the website and whilst I was looking a live chat box appeared and a representative asked me if they could help, so I said I was looking for my contract end date and she gave me the date and asked me why I was asking. I said I was looking at other options so she said she might be able to get me a better deal if I wanted.

She came up with a better deal giving me BT infinity free of charge, unlimited TV, weekends and evenings free calls for only £30 a month plus line rental on a 12 month contract, saving £14.45 per month - result.

I would urge anyone who's contract is coming to an end with BT, Sky, Virgin Media etc., to contact them and tell them they are thinking of leaving, 99% of the time you will get a better deal.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not tied into a deal but Virgin are craft sods, we couldn't get a cheaper deal at the point we previously tried as lowering the packages increased the price oddly. (I want the same speed of internet) but I agree, you need to know how to play them. Well Done Tony!

Supporter+

We used to have Virgin and we were quite happy with them but when we moved they couldn't give us TV because the cable missed out three houses when it was installed on our road, us and our neighbours each side are on a little offshoot from the road, it would mean digging up about 50 yds of road but they won't do it.

So I changed to BT and have been quite happy apart from the call centres in India, when I phone them I can't understand what they are saying because of the accent. Now I have found this on line chat if I have a problem I can use that and I don't have to worry about accents.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

Glad you got a result, Tony.

I too have a problem with accents on the phone. We get a lot of nuisance calls regarding TV, Phones, gas, electricity, windows, loft insulation, the list is endless.

The last year , because I've reached retirement age, I've been getting a lot of calls relating to finance and pension. Be warned! They're all after our money. :flowers:

Supporter+

Hi Super Ram

Have you tried registering with the Telephone Preference Service? It is free and you will find that your nuisance call will drop dramatically after a few months.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Here's a bit of blurb from their website that explains it:

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I have signed up to that myself Tony, i now only get calls from people asking for "Fiona Bowl", no matter how many times i say they've got the wrong number i still get the calls. But it has stopped all the bogus calls though. I still get them on my mobile phone even though i put that number on it too.

I have advised Super rams wife (my mother in law) about that service before but i think she forgot about it and she cannot use computers very well.

Hopefully he looks into this as it does work.

I don't like having to wait on the phone ages for people at virgin to answer and then they tell you a load of rubbish that doesn't work, trying to say that the problem is yours... not their service. I wouldn't be ringing up if it was a problem at our end. Their accents are quite often hard to understand too.

Thanks Tony,I am about to register.

Yes K8 Grandma never said anything to me(nothing new there ,though I'll bet she says she did tell me)

Hopefully you get somewhere with all the nuisance phone calls soon as they are a pain and you got more than us in the first place.

I wish i could get rid of the "Fiona bowl" phone calls but theres no chance in that because someone has obviously given out the wrong number and the call centres dont listen to "you've got the wrong number".

Yes I registered straight away and guess what -we've had no nuisance calls today. OK I know it's Saturday but that doesn't usually make any difference. We did get a call for 'Fiona Dish' so I gave them your number. :hyper:

We'll see how things go in the next few weeks. In the mean time thanks again to Tony Hateley :flowers:

We got the phone calls upto a few weeks later and then they were gone, but it does say a month or two on the site. There is an junkmail one through the post too which i signed up too, but alot of companys get around that by writing "dear owner/occupier" or something like that.

Unfortunetly we are still getting letters for debt collection for the old owner...  i don't know how many loans he plans to not pay back but hes not even lived here for at least 5 years.. surely the companies should of got the money off him before now.

We had letters addressed to the previous owners of our house as recent as a couple of years ago and we've lived here since 1991

As for the junk mail ,well ,we get at least one leaflet for pizza/chips per day.

We get them, but that doesnt count. They get brought out by general people so it cannot be stopped. You could put a no leaflet/junk mail sign up but usually that encourages people to post it anyway or even more.

I know we're only just over the weekend but we haven't had a one single nuisance call since I signed up-Cue for phone to ring.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's a shame how there's more deals for locking people into companies and gaining new customers, yet they don't bother to try and retain them by offering good deals. Just push the prices up, I'll probably look into reducing our bill because it's an area which most likely could be trimmed. Though, I won't hold any breaths really but we'll see.

Supporter+

I know we're only just over the weekend but we haven't had a one single nuisance call since I signed up-Cue for phone to ring.

I think from memory it took a couple of weeks for ours to stop completely but it is really good we hardly get any now.

Thanks again (and K8) Tony. We've only had 1 call up to now(48 hours+) and that came about 2 minutes after I posted saying we'd had none for a while. :hyper:

Glad you passed it onto him Tony, hes always got loads more than we got and i signed up still.

Down to one nuisance call per day now. I can put up with that even if it doesn't get any better. :thumbsup:

It will get better, but thats much better than before. Whenever i rang up in the day time you answered it like you were suspicious of who was on the other end of the phone, which you don't seem to anymore.

It doesn't help when Joe rings up and puts on a silly accent. I'm never quite sure if it's him or a genuine call. Once the QMC phoned and I thought it was Joe messing about. I very nearly gave the caller a real mouthful , as we'd had a load of time wasting calls. I stopped myself just in time.

Half the accents are sooo silly its unbelievable but then there are odd people in general call centres who do sound abit like that. He hasn't done so many of those phone calls to you recently though has he? You've mentioned a few times you've thought genuine phone calls were Joe messing about. At least when you get rid of the nuisance phone calls it will either be genuine or Joe messing about. Shame you can't get rid of Joes silly calls too :huh:

We can tolerate Joe's silly calls, at least he's funny. :)

Supporter+

Talking of silly calls reminds me of when a colleague was learning to drive. He was a really tall chap who was learning to drive in a mini, I phoned him up and convinced him I was the driving instructor and the mini was off the road being repaired but I had managed to get a motorbike and sidecar for his lesson, amazingly he went along with it until I couldn't help but laugh when I said he would have to sit in the sidecar and I would ride the motorbike but he could pretend he was driving and turning corners with an imaginery steering wheel.

I just read this out to my missus and we were both laughing our heads off.  :thumbsup:

Very Funny @tonyhateley it made me laugh too :lol:

Archived