EFL Trophy

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

A recommended article on this spotted on the WSC website: http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5856

Enlightening that the AGM of the English Football League was held in Portugal (!) and that the Premier League has paid all of one million quid as an "incentive".

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

Let's be very very clear about this. This competition is the opening of the door to B teams in the league. Any club that voted in favour is either stupid, can't see the long term picture or have been seduced by the hoped for revenue, which won't happen if no one attends games against the B sides. 

Notts actually voted for this trial, I believe most the teams that voted for this is purely because you get more money at the end of it, I quite like the jpt as it gives even a small club like ours a chance to get to Wembley

19 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Notts actually voted for this trial, I believe most the teams that voted for this is purely because you get more money at the end of it, I quite like the jpt as it gives even a small club like ours a chance to get to Wembley

Probably because the powers that be at Notts (and most other clubs) were dreaming of drawing Manchester United B and getting a big gate, and to hell with the consequences.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I have to question why the club would vote in favour? I dont think people will attend the games and therefore it makes little sense to vote in support.

• 3 weeks later...

These are the alleged 'leaked' plans for this tournament

http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/leaked-efl-trophy-details/

Its absolutely ridiculous, if a team draws in the group stages then it goes to penaltys and the winner gets and extra point...

On the bright side at least we get to play 3 games in this competition....oh yeah, the whole idea for adding B-teams into the league was to reduce fixture congestion [emoji52]

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I wonder what newcomers make of this? i.e the teams formed to 'develop' our elite English talent.

For me, I think youngsters are best off loaned. That gives them greater chance working in and around the established pros, plus the majority of academies release the players - only for them to be never heard of again, so I am unsure how this suites anyone? I guess it depends on the reception the opening games get, will fans eventually warm to the idea? I don't think so.

As for the leaked document, I'm unsure why its being made a fuss of - most of the content was mentioned in the appeal to get lower teams in favour.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  71
  • Days Won:  2

As this is supposed to help English football, am I assuming correctly that these academy teams will have to play English players only? Otherwise, what is the point? Especially when the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea have academies stocked with foreign youngsters 

As this is supposed to help English football, am I assuming correctly that these academy teams will have to play English players only? Otherwise, what is the point? Especially when the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea have academies stocked with foreign youngsters 

I think the only rule is that they are allowed a certain amount of overage players, there won't be any rules about nationality I don't believe, but what you are saying is very true, the premiership academy system is getting as bad as the first teams, most of the players are foreign

This is the official one http://mobile.nottscountyfc.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3171075.aspx?platform=hootsuite

The only good things I can see which makes me more accepting of it is more chance of a cheap away day, ive not had much chance to visit away grounds in the past, and the chance of getting more money, to win a group with a 1 is 2 league 1 clubs, 1 or 2 league 2 clubs and an academy will bank us 100k, that's the price of another Izale!

The prize money is 1.9m, for a win you get 10k and a draw you get 5k... Its all about money

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Nothing new there @ohstanleyaborah as soon as the 'big' boys get involved its all its ever about , they should use the young players or loan them out for a season to develop them , that's my thoughts tho . 

The annoying thing is we have no choice but to play at least 5 first team players

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Yeah that is annoying, especially if injuries occur, not sure I even like that competition at all anyway, I know at the end if ya get that far it's a good occasion and yes I would go , not enough positives in it for me I'm afraid.

The money will be little comfort if a first team player gets injured.

For any of you who still think B teams will make the competition more attractive, here are the average attendances of some of the top B teams in Germany (where they play in the league system against proper clubs):

Bayern Munich II - 1373

Borussia Mönchengladbach II - 516

Schalke II - 374

Hamburg II - 273

Hertha Berlin II - 479

And their matches are played almost exclusively on Saturdays! When these teams visit, the away end is usually completely empty. This isn't football, this is a humiliation. If Chelsea have more young players than they know what to do with, they should allow them to move elsewhere to get match practice and develop, not butcher our league system.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

The Academy sides have been invited to take part, but it looks like Liverpool are going to turn down the invite. So it's not just the fans that don't want this!

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Allegedly Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have pulled out and Msn Utd may

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive heard Liverpool are part of that group that are pulling out! Its not just the fans that don't want it! Ive also heard if 2 more teams pull out then they won't have enough category 1 teams to take part

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

I would love to see this shameful 'B' team initiative fall flat on it's face.  

Archived