League 3?

Piethagoram

Just read that article , its not broken and doesn't need fixing in my opinion , I would be totally against such a move , in my opinion we possess the best football pyramid about , I may be a dinosaur in my opinions on this , but it stinks and no no and no again from me , all the more reason to show our feelings on the tin pot cup about to start this week , and say no to change .

You're not old fashioned @Who r ya?? You Pies!!, there's a good reason why our Football League in its current form has worked for the best part of a century.

Having said that, the idea of 20-team leagues does have its merits, but only if the eight clubs to be promoted to the League are admitted on the basis of merit, i.e. the top eight Conference clubs.

The question the Telegraph failed to ask in this poorly researched article (Banrsley won the Paint Pot Trophy in 2015-16, not Wigan - what Wigan are holding is the League One championship trophy. A glance at Wikipedia would have sufficed) is whether UEFA would even permit such a move. Allowing teams to switch from one national league to another could open the floodgates and potentially speed up a European super league, so they may well put a spanner in the works, if only to protect the Champions League.

The idea that Rangers and Celtic should leapfrog the entire non-league pyramid and take instant League places is a disgrace. I hope that club owners aren't greedy and short-sighted enough to let this through. It would also be nice to hear our club's view on this.

Don't fix what isn't broke, I hate changes but these plans will only ruin the sport. The EFL are playing dangerous games due to desperation and club kill off more struggling clubs because of this. How will it even work?

Some good points made by PoN posters. As the Premier League becomes financially stronger...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/14/english-football-clubs-owned-abroad-tax-avoidance

I fear that foreign ownership helps them towards the 14 clubs votes to enable a Premier League rule change, to abolish relegation? The "trickle down grants to the EFL would probably cease.

The 4 extra home games a 46 match League 1 and League 2 brings, as opposed to a 19 home games in a League of 20, alters the economics to the worse for clubs like Notts. The F A slashed by half prize money of FA cup prize money in the rounds prior to the Third Round to reinforce prize money available to Championship and Premier League.

There is also the dynamic that FIFA and UEFA have made soundings in the past about a United Kingdom football team...and those thoughts may get reignited if Celtic and Rangers joined the EFL. It would simultaneously kill the game in Scotland as any TV income would likely not be distributed  to other Scottish clubs, if the Old Firm clubs left.

I am immensely disappointed by the inclusion of B teams in the Checkatrade trophy. I have raised my concerns before that a competition resurrection like the Angle Scottish cup would have been far more beneficial from both a spectating and maybe a commercial interest too.

54 minutes ago, notts-joe said:

EFL

Aaaarrrrgh!

Please don't call it the EFL ... it's only a reminder that the Football League has been taken over by marketing men who are seemingly only interested in the "brand". Which is also why they seem to come up with a new stupid idea every week. The Premier League is a beacon of sanity compared to this lot.

According to the article B teams have been introduced to the 'dontusecheckatradewebsite' trophy because of falling attendances and interest. So let's hope the downward spiral continues for this competition as from Wednesday.

I can't believe they are trying to say that B team inclusion is to help English youth player development. I don't think there's amy rule to say the B teams must have a minimum number of English players in them. 

I won't be attending any of the games, even if Notts reached Wembley. 

Celtic and Rangers in an English football league? It would be just their route to the Premier League, otherwise they would be giving up their Champions league place for no good reason.

On both counts it seems that the once-proud Football League is determined to self-destruct.

Surely the well constructed arguments against the changes being suggested , and applied as in tin pot cup , above give a good example of fans views across the board , does anyone know of any action groups taking these matters up ? 

Then again probably the best way for fans to show how they feel is with a boycott of games .

Surely the changes to the league pyramid being looked into would get a massive no vote from the clubs ? You would certainly hope that was the case .

I'd like to think the fact clubs allowed B teams into the competition is some House of Cards type plot to kill B teams in the league but I just don't think it is. It's now up to fans to totally and utterly boycott this competition. If you have attendance in tens and not hundreds then it will kill this idea. It should embarrass the "EFL" but anyone who brands themselves as that in the first place have no shame. I hope Notts play 5 fringe first teamers and 6 youth players for this total joke of a competition

Doesn't this argument of Celtic-Rangers becoming involved come up every couple of years? It never happens. If it were to happen, others clubs such as Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell etc also might like to join. Maybe they won't, who knows. Either way, it would destroy Scottish football, they'd become like the Welsh league. If you are adding them to the bottom league, I doubt teams such as Torquay particularly fancy an away day in Inverness, for obvious financial reasons. 

I wouldn't be opposed to letting Scottish teams into the FA cup or League Cup. It would enhance the competition and maybe make the bigger PL clubs take them more seriously. I think on of the cups up in Scotland (not sure which) has let Welsh and Irish teams in to compete. 

2 hours ago, Who r ya?? You Pies!! said:

Surely the well constructed arguments against the changes being suggested , and applied as in tin pot cup , above give a good example of fans views across the board , does anyone know of any action groups taking these matters up ? 

Then again probably the best way for fans to show how they feel is with a boycott of games .

Surely the changes to the league pyramid being looked into would get a massive no vote from the clubs ? You would certainly hope that was the case .

Here's a campaign group: http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/

Unfortunately many club owners are only interested in the balance sheets. Clubs voted in favour of allowing B teams into the trophy because they felt it would boost crowds in that competition. That's why a boycott is needed before anyone gets the idea of letting them into the league. Likewise, I bet many club owners would be excited at the prospect of at least two big paydays when Celtic and Rangers come to town, and to hell with the long-term consequences. Short-termism rules.

Archived