Jon Stead injury a setback for the club?

Chris

I've been saying for more months than I care to remember that we have to avoid relying on Jon Stead, obviously keeping him in form is the main aim and injuries do happen but really this could be a setback for the club.

We have seen Adam Campbell take his chance whilst at Portsmouth which is a good thing, we do have Collins and Forte but neither seem to be the 'answer' (watch them now prove me wrong). However, this will be a period whereby it will enable other fringe players to step up and for us to truly rate what this Notts squad is all about.

If we can get other players scoring, Stead's return will be like having a new signing but if we struggle it may take him time to step back up to his a game.

Ideally I would like to keep fighting for a play-off space but its not the end of the world provided we are moving forward as a club, anywhere above last seasons finished will be a bonus but I am wonder what folks here think?

Collins is one of them players that you need to time the releasing ball right for him to break away, he's not the play to take on opposition with his pace but he can get useful to attract opposition defenders - if we had an additional striker that could play his opposite set skill (natural goalscorer, skilful and powerful) he would start for week in and out. Problem for me he's still learning the game and therefore can be a little selfish/misjudging on the ball.

I'm not sure he will be the player to take the torch whilst Stead is injured but he's a great addition to the team.

We probably will struggle to score but Forte should be more of threat than he seems to be.

He's a very odd player, because he's better than League Two (lower/mid League One). Campbell can improve but requires service and with his height, we are limited to who can partner him. I'm hoping we can tinker with the squad come January, get rid of some and replace with actual quality for this league.

Forte is a goalscorer, but he needs to have the chances created for him, whereas Stead can create something for himself. Collins is a bit different again in that he has pace and create something for himself with that and Oliver is fairly decent in the air, but there are no crosses flying into the box for him to attack. 

To get the goals, we need to improve the supply line and that means a winger who can take on defenders and hit the byeline (Snijders can). If we can find one of them in January, along with a ball carrying midfielder and another centre half we will be fine.

We probably will struggle to score but Forte should be more of threat than he seems to be.
He's a very odd player, because he's better than League Two (lower/mid League One). Campbell can improve but requires service and with his height, we are limited to who can partner him. I'm hoping we can tinker with the squad come January, get rid of some and replace with actual quality for this league.

Who would you get rid of ?

Archived