Keeping track of players released by other clubs

Joe Jones

With the League Two season over (aside from the playoff final), it's all about planning for the upcoming campaign and, as standard, player recruitment is part of that.

With clubs all across the leagues deciding on which players to retain and which to release, plus those who opt to leave despite having been offered fresh terms, it's important to keep tabs on players who can be snapped up by Notts and get some discussions going (and we can even play our part by letting Alan Hardy know about them - chances are they'll have it covered, but you never know).

The Beeb has a pretty comprehensive page which provides day-to-day news on player situations across the leagues - if everyone on here keeps tabs on the players, gets discussions going and potentially makes enough noise, it can only be a good thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/39708953

@Northants Pie would be excellent with suggestions.

I don't think we can panic really, yes Mansfield appear to be building wisely but they could fail. We need to recruit the right players, not rush into things but I certainly will have a scan around and report some suggestions here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Mansfield have taken the same route Steve Evans always does, spend a lot more than anyone else (it is silly numbers so far) early and hope to gain a capable squad of 20 - 22 out of ths 30 or so players they will have on their books come September.

As for freebies, well thats just the nature of the business and to be frank we didn't pay any money for Nolan and he like most managers are the ultimate freebie and that one has turned out alright so far.

As for players, we have enough cover with the Goalkeepers, the young lad is ample cover for Adam Collin.

I like the route Nolan seems to be taking, not too certain on Hawkridge but he's got a lot to prove this time round, it will be interesting where that takes him.

I would go for Scott Wiseman from Scunthorpe for the RB position as for non-league centre forwards I will give the same name I have been giving for the last three pre-seasons Danny Rowe although he will cost far more now than he would of before.

As for young centre forwards it would be good to see a young skillfull striker from Arsenal (building on our ties with the club) like Yassin Fortune, silky skillfull frenchman who they signed from a french club.

There's nothing wrong with freebies. Every summer the market is swamped with players who are deemed not good enough in a higher division (but may do a job for us), or who choose to leave of their own accord. Signing players for a transfer is a bit of a luxury nowadays. Lee Hughes was a "freebie".

Wishes? A new keeper to compete with Collin, a new central defence and a pacey striker or two.

On 2017-6-7 at 11:32, DangerousSausage said:

There's nothing wrong with freebies. Every summer the market is swamped with players who are deemed not good enough in a higher division (but may do a job for us), or who choose to leave of their own accord. Signing players for a transfer is a bit of a luxury nowadays. Lee Hughes was a "freebie".

Wishes? A new keeper to compete with Collin, a new central defence and a pacey striker or two.

its about the right types of free agents.

if a player has not settled or is repeatedly released, i would hope we go for a different option. i like what we are trying to do in order to get noble back, the fee is too high but it shows something. dont think any club should settle for just those but mix things.

22 hours ago, 4everapie said:

Why go for anyone else when we've resigned most of the players who did so well last season. Unbelievable

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think it's encouraging that Kevin Nolan wants to develop the players he knows and has at his disposal rather than just wiping everything clean. I'm getting a bit impatient for signings too but it'S better when the players we do sign are brought into a squad of players who already know one another and are used to playing together.

Archived