Match Discussion: Game 2 - The Spireites (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,287
  • Days Won:  80

Game 2 - The Spireites (H)

Team: Chesterfield

Date: 12/08/17

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,147
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Well I can see this being a draw, my head says 2-2 but it could be 1-1.

Both teams have to respond from their opening day results, we need to play well on home soil and I just think the tension will increase. Hopefully it won't effect how we play, as we do need to claim the points on offer but I did always feel that the opening fixtures would be hard.

Despite what Kevin Nolan suggests is a headache, I say Yates and Grant to start.

The rest picks itself, so allow the players to be given a chance - Duffy/Jones/Stead. Though just ensure we have quality and a way to hold the ball against Chesterfield. We really need to retain and hold it up, chances will come if we work hard and for that reason I'm not worried.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,942
  • Days Won:  162

i would like to see grant start.

i am not sure what formation or who else deserves to start but i think it would be harsh to anyone who played in the league cup to be dropped for someone who played badly against coventry. i just dont think it encourages good performances.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,468
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I don't know, I expect them to be stronger and more demanding on the ball. I think they might win but I just hope its a good game.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

Both opening days were poor however i would like to think Nolan has adapted his thought processes on how to approach this game. Call me crazy but i think we have got some real attacking threats and have the potential to score a truck load. Id love to see us play like a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2 as i believe Duffy, Hollis and Brisely could really gel as 3 CB's. For me ill go a 2-0 win. I think it'll be close but home record is important to Nolan as he stressed towards the end of last season.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,942
  • Days Won:  162

4 hours ago, samwatto2008 said:

i believe Duffy, Hollis and Brisely could really gel as 3 CB's.

it might be worth using all three and adapting the play to replicate what spurs do. you know use wing backs...

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

@liampie I think that could really work especially Milsom as a LWB and maybe develop either Hewitt or Tootle to play RWB. But to be honest i think that idea could really work.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,147
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I thought we played very well against Chesterfield.

However, without the inclusion of Jorge Grant - I just never felt like we would score. If he isn't match fit like the rumours would have us believe, then we need to start him (it's the best way to gain match fitnesses). Notts just always looked like it would be a point and a 0-0 draw, yet things clicked when the substitutes came on.

I have to say I didn't like how Chesterfield tried to be physical, and basically ended up elbowing and hitting out.

They reminded me of a school boy team which knew they was going to lose, yet resorted to this to slow the game down and to put players off. They really look like a club which might struggle and to say that we didn't look like scoring before the changes, it slightly concerning from an attacking point of view. I felt we largely defended well, passed nicely but as always we needed to rush or force play when it mattered. Ameobi and Stead isn't working at the moment either, we need pace!