Encouraging positivity rather than negativity

Chris

Once upon a time I tried really hard to give a sense of encouragement around Notts, when fans approached me saying whatever concerns they had - this could be from the tea bars to the recent performances (including that they wouldn't be coming back). I would always try to be the voice of reason, but you soon learn to listen more clearly.

I think there's a concern that anything you disagree with these days is considered 'negative', and having read a status put out on our social media by @Joe Jones - I'm a bit disappointed that someone at the club can't try to encourage supporters to remain optimistic.

There's some great comments on social media, Neale Tristram for example "It's his account he can do what he likes with it, as I do mine."

But shouldn't club officials, and staff be encouraging supporters? We don't really know what classes as negativity in Mark's opinion, it could be a fan who has legitimate concerns and to a degree even the tweet itself is negative. I just feel that these two recent games could become bigger if we allow it, and arguing on the internet won't resolve it.

If anything it will just add some unnecessary focus.

What do you think?

He shouldn't have put it out there about blocking people. That in itself fosters negativity.

Crossley has spent his whole life in football, so he should be aware of how knee-jerk some fans can be, and how you're only really as good as your last couple of results - which in our case, is a poor defeat and a very poor draw that should have been a defeat.

Also, Notts have precedent in starting a season well, then having it all go t!ts up around November/December time. So fans are going to be nervous. Still, if any of them have given him abuse, then that might explain why he's made a big deal of it.

It just confirms my view that one of the few advantages of being an old fart is that I can not only say  "I saw Jimmy Sirrel's teams", but I can also say "I did most of my supporting before social media happened".  The advent of social media should have meant accurate info could be communicated in an instant, but instead it seems to have become a platform for people to display the very worst side of their character.  Regarding Notts, it was a complete disaster for the Trews, and Alan Hardy made a bad start but seems to be learning from his mistakes.  I don't get involved, I'm quite happy to hear news through an official channel, I don't need to chat with the owner, coaches and players.  It's pretty obvious that although 98% of people will be reasonable, the 2% nutcases out there mean it will undoubtedly go **** up before long.  I have been diehard Notts for 47 years but would find mainly negatives from the last two games.  That doesn't mean I'm not delighted with the brilliant start we've made, it just means I try and give an objective view on a game by game basis.

Agree with @Elite_pie , well said pal .

Having an opinion matters it's about chatting not getting to up or to down , balance , doesn't have to be about being all agreeing , I'm more than happy with life as a notts fan , a massive turn around at the club on and off the pitch , good owner good manager , players giving everything , second in the table after a terrific start to the season , what's not to like , take a defeat or poor performance on the chin , move on , COYP 

What I never understand is why people voice these opinions directly to members of the club and expect an argument or any form of re-inforcement of their views.

I gave (like many others) what I thought was my opinion on the game on this site but I see this side of social media as an extension of the match day conversations that take place between fans.

Ffs whilst yes we have been utter sh!te in the last two games if people offered any of us this position and last two results in August we would have snapped their hands off

1 hour ago, Northants Pie said:

What I never understand is why people voice these opinions directly to members of the club and expect an argument or any form of re-inforcement of their views.

I gave (like many others) what I thought was my opinion on the game on this site but I see this side of social media as an extension of the match day conversations that take place between fans.

Ffs whilst yes we have been utter sh!te in the last two games if people offered any of us this position and last two results in August we would have snapped their hands off

Is the right answer. No member of the coaching staff is going to discuss the performances of individual players on social media.

While publicly announcing that he is blocking people comes across as mardy, maybe he just doesn't want to see those comments any more. The coaching team see the same matches and performances we do, they know who is having a bad spell, but they also spend their week trying to improve players. So I can't really blame him for not wanting to deal with idiots on social media urging a clear-out after two poor games.

I think @Northants Pie makes several valid points.

However, sometimes people will approach coaches etc to have their say - perhaps Mark made a comment about us being good against FGR (I'm just speculating) and one of his followers replied it wasn't the case. It could just be that someone decided to rant at the nearest outlet, if people didn't care they wouldn't say it - yet a club official for me shouldn't get so annoyed by it.

Focus on the important things, declaring otherwise is a just very negative for me.

It's the reason why I don't tend to follow footballers, coaches etc.

8 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Maybe he just doesn't want to see those comments any more.

Ignore 'em....

What people do with their own Twitter account is there call, yet I just feel it's not the right approach at all.

Archived