Should struggling teams have Christmas parties cancelled?

Joe Jones

Last year John Sheridan famously cancelled Notts County's Christmas party as the team was lurching from one defeat to another.

This year, things are much different and as such the players have had their do in Dublin (as Adam Collin's Insta page showed).

However, Sam Allardyce has recently made the news after saying he would cancel Everton's Christmas party.

So over to you - should a struggling team have their Chrimbo do cancelled and focus fully on the games, or could that end up being counter-productive and harm morale and team cohesion further?

(After all, Notts' slump didn't end after their party was cancelled)

I can understand the managers logic in that the players haven't performed, so they don't deserve a Christmas party and the fans would probably say the same, but I think this just leads to resentment from the players and does not inspire them to try any harder.

Personally, I think they should still have a Christmas party, but it should be a low key affair and not made public. Enjoys yourselves, but don't show the fans that you're having fun should be the motto.

I think it could be counterproductive maybe a low key do would maybe be a way to build the spirit among the squad , I think a manager who has overseen a struggle for some time could further alienate himself, I can't remember jumping for joy when JS did it and as said above didn't improve anything , the guys above look to be having a great laugh together , no hang overs I hope for Saturday , 🎅🎅

A year ago the club badly needed someone to bring the feel-good factor back and make Notts a fun club to play for again, like Martin Allen did back in the day. KN and AH have done this - our success so far this season wouldn't have been possible without them.

Part of fostering a good atmosphere and team spirit, so no, Christmas parties shouldn't be banned when you're struggling. That's when the team needs to bond more than ever! Maybe in that case the pictures shouldn't end up all over Twitter to avoid getting fans' backs up but that's it.

BTW who is the gorgeous babe at the front? :wub:

I don't think it makes much sense to cancel Christmas parties especially when morale is low, however I do feel it is sometimes warranted when teams are really playing dire and there's little no effort being made.

As I discussed with JJ in the latest PONcast (soon to be released), clubs still do them even when they say it's not happening.

If the clubs do insist, then do we believe the players won't just do it off their own backs? Of course they will. Ultimately these things will be kept under wraps and a low profile will be requested (so no leaked pictures) but at the end of the day it's stupid for low morale to cancel such events.

you want them to enjoy christmas at the same time as working on the morale but i dont think the squad deserved to celebrate last season.

if they are just in a bad spell fair enough, let them but if its a period where nobody is bothered and there is no signs of improvement you have to cancel.

Archived