Adam Collin

Supporter+

Can anyone explain why some of our so called fans are obsessed with giving Adam Collin abuse? Twitter was full of it again last night, he seems to have become the latest target, I imagine 90% of the people abusing him didn’t even go to the match.

Ok some may think he isn’t the best choice in goal and would prefer a change, I have some sympathy with that but I don’t agree with people tagging him in abusive tweets, can they not give their opinion without it becoming abusive and personal.

Having said that I think football players, managers and owners should steer well clear of twitter it does seem to attract a certain element of keyboard warriors.

I've been saying this all season, it's just not needed.

He's alright at this level, if the defence did their job he would be more confident and although he has made mistakes. Plenty of others have done and, they don't seem to receive any type of criticism. I mean even when Collin plays well, people single out the slightest errors, yet for me I don't think people should be abusive towards him and then jump camps (as I have witness on Twitter).

Those types of people seem to be doing it all for the attention.

Collin has improved a lot this season in my eyes.

I do prefer Fitzsimons but that is due to him having proved himself prior to his silly sending off. Collin has not done much wrong since, but people forget that they wanted Ross out of the club. People cherry pick who they want to abuse, typical Notts for you.

I've recently been watching what's happened on Twitter; and from this, I've made a few observations:-

1.    Vitriol - simple, pure and (quite often) disgusting - has been aimed at ANYONE involved with the club, whom folk appear to think are 'fair game', this season! As well as Collins, I've also witnessed some pretty cold, unfair and downright hurtful comment's specifically aimed at Hollis; Virtue; Noble; Grant; Stead; Bennett (before he even kicked a ball); Dickinson; Duffy; Yates (for moving on!); Hunt; Smith; Forte, and not to leave out, Nolan and Hardy!

2.     Mostly, the mis-spellings, bad grammer, foul, threatening and/or poor use of the English language, usually say a lot about how much 'weight' one should give to said threats/insults; with additional info available beside a tag, (e.g. IHEARTnffc4ever), giving much insight into how much the insulting hater has little clue about football, about a (proper) club's history or indeed, much beyond European Cups won many, many, years before they were (actually and mostly,) born!

Even those who do bare the hallowed insignia/support for our beloved club, like the one I saw recently (actually) "calling Jorge Grant out" - and then (actually) taking 'credit' that his hatred was solely responsible for Grant's subsequent goal - gives much insight too, into the 'mentality' of such keyboard warriors!

3.     I do admit to 'joining-in' - in comments about said goalkeeper. However, I believe I've been careful NOT to 'tag' him in (not because I don't believe that what I'm saying is true; but because I believe that tagging him in to comments that are critical of his work, are neither 'productive' or 'instructive' and would appear, (mostly) cruel. Additionally, I also witnessed a disgusting/continuous tirade of foul language he used to a supporter who suggested he wasn't, currently at his best, which was followed by his 'clean sheet' comments, that riled so many fans.

4.     I don't think he does himself any favours; particularly not after the 8-1 trouncing by Swansea and all of the subsequent goals he's let in, after that. BUT I still stand by what I've said before and that is that whilst I appreciate he came back into the side under very extraneous circumstances, I still don't think he's fully match fit; I still don't think he's our safest pair of hands; I DO think he's under orders to 'slow' games down and nor do I prefer him in goal, to Fitzsimons.

5.     For as long as I've followed my team (48 years-ish!) 'supporters' have ALWAYS felt able to pass comment (firstly through terrace banter/insults) and now - quicker/more direct - through many forms of Social Media. Truth is, that to be 'able to communicate' with our idols was what fans have longed to do, for years. And also to 'be able to communicate' with fans, from a proud, local (saviour) owner - like Alan Hardy - for a club/sport that he's clearly passionate about; means that everyone has what they wanted. EXCEPT when it's broken down to insults/threats and downright nickable stuff that no one should have to put up with or take. Okay, so Alan Hardy makes mistakes ("isn't, 'to err, human'?) but I think for the most part, the (sometimes annoying) 'heads-up' tweets are all part of his boyish enthusiasm for a club he's not only 'saved' but one for which he continually put his hand in his pocket!

For this, and this alone, I'll wait up til midnight on transfer deadline day, to see who's walked through the door! I'll forgive him for retweeting a certain well-known racists post about a subject that - black, white, green or indifferent - should seriously concern us all! And I'll continue to 'follow' his account because I believe, that as a lifelong Notts. County F.C. supporter, what he's done for this club - and continues to do; simply, merits my attention.

Archived