English football winter break 'agreed in principle' for 2020?

Joe Jones

From Sky Sports News:

The FA, Premier League and EFL are close to agreement over the introduction of a winter break, Sky Sports News understands.

The FA council were being briefed on Wednesday on the progress of talks which were prompted by FA chief executive Martin Glenn almost two years ago.

Sky Sports News understands the majority of planned changes are agreed in principle - with the first break pencilled in for January and February in 2020.

If agreed, one round of Premier League matches would be played over two weeks, giving clubs a break from league action.

In return, the FA Cup fifth round will be played in midweek, with extra-time and penalties replacing replays.

Would you be happy with this, or should it remain as it is?

It should stay as it is, the top teams will no more have a break than me managing Notts. It will be world wide travel on a plane for 12 hours just to make a few quid so in effect no rest at all. Furthermore if lower league teams make it through to the 5th round and drawn away how many fans will miss out on once in a lifetime trip to a top club due to work, and how many kids will miss out as having school the following day. Again done to suit the few ignoring the life and blood of the game US the fans

Supporter+

I think they should leave it as it is, I’m fed up with the messing about with football, things like changing kick off times etc., you can be sure these changes aren’t for the benefit of fans or for the lower league clubs.

I hope our British weather will be informed of these changes.Wont it be  great, no games for a couple of weeks then our fickle climate decides to cover the country with several inches of snow or widespread flooding.I agree with @nottsnutter and @Fan of Big Tone

The powers that be are slowly but surely chipping away at everything that is good about the game. The FA Cup is a case in point - once the jewel in the crown, they seem intent on reducing it to the status of the League Cup. The rounds should ALWAYS be on a weekend and the winner given a Champions League place!

And of course with 46 league games plus three cup competitions, there really isn't time for a completely unnecessary winter break. You can be sure this will be the thin end of the wedge. Next we'll be hearing their bright ideas on how to "solve" the fixture congestion they themselves caused - smaller divisions, no more play-offs...

I endure a winter break in Germany and I hate it. The season starts at the end of July, the winter break starts around 20 December and goes on for two months(!) and the season finishes right at the end of May (or in June if you're in the play-offs in your league). The winter break is actually longer than the summer break!

To sum up, it's completely unnecessary and will create more problems than it solves.

13 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

The powers that be are slowly but surely chipping away at everything that is good about the game. The FA Cup is a case in point - once the jewel in the crown, they seem intent on reducing it to the status of the League Cup. The rounds should ALWAYS be on a weekend and the winner given a Champions League place!

And of course with 46 league games plus three cup competitions, there really isn't time for a completely unnecessary winter break. You can be sure this will be the thin end of the wedge. Next we'll be hearing their bright ideas on how to "solve" the fixture congestion they themselves caused - smaller divisions, no more play-offs...

I endure a winter break in Germany and I hate it. The season starts at the end of July, the winter break starts around 20 December and goes on for two months(!) and the season finishes right at the end of May (or in June if you're in the play-offs in your league). The winter break is actually longer than the summer break!

To sum up, it's completely unnecessary and will create more problems than it solves.

What's the weather generally like in Germany Dec 20th - Feb 20th @DangerousSausage.Did you get the delayed winter snow that we had in here in the UK.Also the festive season sees some of the highest attendances throughout all the leagues which is vital for lower league and less successful higher league  teams. I suppose if there's no Prem or Championship football for Sky/BT to show then they may turn to the lower Leagues.

Usually a few degrees colder than in the UK @super_ram, but it doesn't necessarily snow. I don't think we had any snow at all this year until the winter break ended! Crowds in Germany also tend to drop off badly as the weather gets cooler, so there's an economic dimension too.

You can't just apply the situation to England though. For a start we have 46 league games to fit in (plus three potential play-off matches), they have 34 (and two in the play-offs). Our teams take part in three domestic cup competitions, there only a few teams play in more than one. The winter break could lead to a fixture pile-up that would harm, not benefit, the national team.

Archived