Would You Take On Nigel Clough As Notts Manager?

Chris

I've learned to respect him a lot, I think he did a fantastic job at Burton and Derby (both local clubs). I did feel he moved up a little too quickly but no doubt the championship is suited to a manager of his ability, I feel he's unlucky to have been sacked (as we've already discussed).

Now I've tried giving CK time and whereas I won't directly bring negative comments, I would hate to miss a debate.

Would you take on Nigel Clough as Notts Manager?

Honestly, I've grown tired and I feel we're losing more than we can afford too. CK's long vision plan could be far away - He might never resolve the defensive issues we have but he's got us for the time been being able to attack and break, on a more solid day we might have perhaps won and go forward for more but there's areas which need working clearly.

Yet for me, I'm tired of seeing Notts go through the phases and I'm concerned that we will lose more support if we don't handle the situation.

Nigel Clough can handle budgets, he's pretty decent with youngsters (Will Hughes tends to thank him a lot), He knows good players and he see's how he wants his teams to play. By all accounts he isn't that bad with his tactical choices and personally I would like to see him at Notts.

If we lose against Crewe.. How long until the players go back to their less than inspiring performances and we see a situation develop where heads drop again.

Thoughts?

Supporter+

If the manager's seat becomes vacant and Nigel is still out of work I would definitely offer him the job, I think he has done a fantastic job at Derby, he's shifted some of the top earners and brought in people on less money and still managed to have a decent championship team. He's definitely got an eye for good players, I was one of the people who raised an eyebrow when he signed Jake Buxton from non league Burton and put him straight into his Championship side but he has proved to be a valuable addition to the squad.

I think he is everything that Notts need and looked for in CK with the added bonus of experience which CK unfortunately lacks.

I certainly wouldn't turn him down, he's an excellent coach and would be the perfect fit on paper given our ethos on bringing through young players and progressing within our means. However I'll say no more as Chris is still our manager, and there are real signs of improvement from the last 2 games. Yesterday's result was daylight robbery!

Yesterday's result was daylight robbery!

Whereas I feel the same, at the end of the day the blame falls onto a couple of players who repeatedly got caught out and the lack of actual defending. When Carlisle went brighter, playing decent passing football. It seemed to concern our defense - both goals being a result lack of awareness. The second goal bad defending all over it but certainly bright! It wasn't a Tranmere performance but still acceptable and decent.

Sadly, we rob ourselves.

Supporter+

Yes. Move CK aside and bring NC in. Find another role for CK.

Perhaps we could give CK a coaching role or back into the development squad?

Nigel could be the ideal person for CK to learn from, I don't doubt CK's ability to learn but I think it's something which will take more time than we can offer. I'm firmly inside the Nigel Clough for Notts camp - I think he's the ideal man to drive us forward and it's going to be awkward if we leave it and this situation becomes worst. I mean, some might consider this to be negative but I think it's balanced and meaningful. Debates are always best like this and sometimes you can learn from it - I don't see the need to be quiet over opinions unless you're overly negative.

We have the clubs best interest at hearts, as fans our opinions are very valid.

Supporter+

Perhaps we could give CK a coaching role or back into the development squad?

Nigel could be the ideal person for CK to learn from, I don't doubt CK's ability to learn but I think it's something which will take more time than we can offer. I'm firmly inside the Nigel Clough for Notts camp - I think he's the ideal man to drive us forward and it's going to be awkward if we leave it and this situation becomes worst. I mean, some might consider this to be negative but I think it's balanced and meaningful. Debates are always best like this and sometimes you can learn from it - I don't see the need to be quiet over opinions unless you're overly negative.

We have the clubs best interest at hearts, as fans our opinions are very valid.

Agreed, there's nothing like a good healthy debate, if you think the manager is not up to the job then it's a legitimate discussion to say so, it's not being negative it's all about opinions. I certainly think that Nigel would make an excellent acquisition for Notts and would be very excited if it were to happen BUT I don't think it will, I'm not sure Ray would or could afford him and I think he may well go to another Championship side and possibly wouldn't be interested in taking charge of a team at the bottom of the table, it's a bit of a poison chalice at the moment.

One thing I think might be in our favour is that we are local to where he lives and being a family man he may not want to uproot his children from school, I'm not sure how old his kids are but I assume they are still of school age.

Steve McClaren given the job I thinl. Good appointment I think. The England job came far too soon for him and he was treated poorly by that lot, but he had a very successfull spell at Middlesbrough, and he also had success with Wolsburg in Germany and FC Twente in Holland. He was also Fergussn's number 2 for a while so he clearly has something about him. Good luck to him, I hope he proves a lot of people wrong

I hope he doesn't. I hope he fails, miserably. Nothing against Derby but I do not like that man or his smug grin.

I think the smiles a nervous one - I used to think he was smug but he isn't really. Could be worse - Roy Keane, Stuart Pearce <-- LOL... How some name ex Florist managers. Yet Derby end up with one and it'll probably work for them ;)

I'M NOT HAPPY.I :angry::veryangry:  DON'T LIKE THE MAN OR SAM RUSH OR THE YANKS BUT I'VE GOT TO ACCEPT THIS APPOINTMENT AND SO I HOPE HE IS A SUCCESS.IF HE IS NOT I HOPE  THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS APPOINTMENT ALL RESIGN EN MASSE AND GIVE CONTROL TO SOMEONE WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT DERBY COUNTY.IT WILL TAKE A LOT TO WIN ME OVER.WATCH THIS SITE FOR COMMENTS AS THE SEASON CONTINUES.

Supporter+

Crickey @super_ram my ears are ringing after that rant, I take it you aren't happy? :joker:

Sorry I don't mean to make light of it, as you say lets hope you are proved wrong for Derby's sake.

I'll be interested to see how much financial backing Steve Mclaren gets and what style of football we play.He's got a very good squad at his disposal that just needs tweeking a little.The defense needs sorting out-too many silly goals being leaked,mostly from set pieces.I will also be cheered up if he uses substitution opportunities differently to NC(I think NC left changes too late and was too predictable)Nothing short of a playoff position is acceptable to me now after the appalling events of the last few days.The owners/board have made their stance quite clear-IT'S UP TO THEM TO DELIVER NOW-

Rant over,normal service will be resumed tomorrow night,depending on the result.

Time for us all to unite and get behind our respective teams and all pull together. :thumbsup:

Archived