Notts' diary of disaster

ARLukomski

- It all starts in January 2018. Ryan Yates is recalled. We never replace him and Nolan changes the formation for no reason at all. Our gap to the play-offs is wiped out.

- We don't bring in a injury free pacey striker. We should have known what we were getting with Mason Bennett and his injury record. He lasted 2 weeks.

- We eventually bottle promotion and finish in the play-offs. We lose them and we're in League 2 again for 18/19.

- We throw away the style of play that got us to 5th place. All we needed was fine tuning and a little bit more work on passing. Not a complete overhaul to a team that will pass out from the back.

- We get rid of the leaders in the squad and don't replace them. We also don't improve the defence or midfield. No battling midfielder and quality centre-back. Lincoln bought Shackell. Mansfield bought Sweeney and Preston. Just saying.

- Derby and Leicester friendlies did us no good. Hardy goes on about them being the two biggest clubs in the East Midlands. Bridges burned more. 

- Players have no pre-season and are unfit. Yates still not replaced. Still got no leaders. Key positions still not addressed. Overspend on players making our financial position even worse. Nolan didn't stick to his morals of a strong defence, being hard to beat, competition for players and their being characters in the team. Hardy interfering also with first team matters. We are setting ourselves up for a disaster

- Next appointment is wrong. Kewell falls out with the majority of the squad. The squad is bloated with over 30 players. 

- Kewell sacked. Ardley comes in and doesn't turn things around. Hardy arguing with fans on Twitter constantly. Has a loan from his parent company with 4% interest on it. Our financial position hasn't got any better. We've got no infrastructure or training ground. His egotistical and "I'm always right" attitude has worn thin with the fans. 

Mismanagement on and off the pitch coupled with shocking recruitment, no idea of how we want to play, no infrastructure, no training ground and players who don't care is a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

I think people are missing how serious the financial situation can become. Losses of 30k a week, will soon become 45k with the loss of TV money distribution. Action needed now to cut squad, put everyone bar Bird and O'Brien on list

The financial side of things is mostly due to pre-existing debts and having spent pretty big this season, if the rumours are true about the debts then the clubs losing far more than 30k per week.

Yes, it's a very worrying issue but the biggest concern to date is the clubs league status.

I think relegation would be a major disaster and would only lead to further losses. The debt side could be reduced with cuts, however come next season some fans will still want the club to spend big and when this doesn't happen toys will be thrown.

This is a very good summary of what's gone wrong. I never imagined it would get this bad.

If we do go down it'd be very nice to win the league first time like Bristol Rovers did, but the odds are against that. Financially it will be very difficult. If we cut the playing budget (which is surely sensible whatever happens) we risk a downward spiral, if we go for broke in a league with one automatic promotion place we risk administration.

7 minutes ago, CliftonMagpie said:

I think there's a huge mix of things that have lead to this disaster but the concern for me is the lack of fight.

Nobody seems up for it!

Good point. Every team needs a core of players that will lead the way and rally the troops. Shola Ameobi and Alan Smith maybe didn't have a lot to offer on the pitch but by all accounts they inspired and motivated the players. They left in the summer and no thought seems to have been made about the character of the squad. You'd think Kevin Nolan of all people would have made that a priority.

Archived