Patrick Sontheimer

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Couple of twitter accounts spreading this rumour. Obviously take it with a copious amount of salt.

Can't say I've heard of him, playing in the 3rd league, perhaps @DangerousSausage knows him?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,801
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

German U17 & U19 international too, though with a word of caution, Julian Jenner was a Dutch U21 international

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

I'm not believing anything that "non league insider" account says. Same with Ex Agent 12. As much as it might be a decent signing by the looks of it, I'll wait till it's legit

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,801
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Patrick Sontheimer stays with the Würzburger Kickers
Uli Sommerkorn
Uli Sommerkorn
February 20, 2020
11:45 a.m.
Updated on:
February 29, 2020
02:10 am
The third division soccer team pulls the purchase option for the midfielder. He still has some plans for the Rothosen.
Remains in Würzburg: Patrick Sontheimer.
Remains in Würzburg: Patrick Sontheimer. Photo: Frank Scheuring
 1 comment
FC Würzburger Kickers took the option to buy Patrick Sontheimer and thus tied the midfielder to himself beyond the summer. The third division soccer team announced this in a press release. After the Rothosen had loaned the 21-year-old from SpVgg Greuther Fürth in the second half of the 2018/19 season, a loan with a purchase option was then agreed. By exercising the purchase option, the FWK created clarity with regard to these personnel at an early stage.

VIDEO

Purchase option drawn: Patrick Sontheimer remains a redhead!
Sontheimer was born in Marktoberdorf and played for FC Memmingen for four years when he was young, before moving to the SpVgg Greuther Fürth youth training center at the age of 15. In addition to 28 appearances in the B-Juniors Bundesliga South / Southwest (13 goals) and 45 games in the A-Juniors Bundesliga South / Southwest (10 goals), the central midfielder also played for the German U-17 and U-19 national team on that place. When he was young, Sontheimer already played 26 second division games for the clover leaf. The 21-year-old has so far made 35 appearances in the third division for Kickers, and last season he also celebrated winning the Bavarian Toto Cup with the Mainfranken.

Praise from the trainer
"Patrick is incredibly ambitious and ready to develop himself further in every training session and to push himself to the limit. His viciousness and galling in the duels are important for the entire team", Kickers head coach Michael Schiele is quoted in the message. Kickers CEO Daniel Sauer adds that "Patrick already takes on a lot of responsibility at the age of 21 and, in addition to his talent, has an exemplary attitude. We are pleased that he will take the next step here."

"I felt the trust of those responsible from the very first day and would like to repay it with great commitment in the future. The prospect is great, I'm really looking forward to the weeks and months ahead at the Kickers", said Patrick Sontheimer in the press release .

https://www.mainpost.de/sport/wuerzburg/Patrick-Sontheimer-bleibt-bei-den-Wuerzburger-Kickers;art786,10409757

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

German U17 & U19 international too, though with a word of caution, Julian Jenner was a Dutch U21 international

Julian Jenner in hindsight was quite well known for being injury prone, and at the wrong end of his career. That said, when he played he always tried.

Patrick Sontheimer is 22, so plenty of time ahead of him.

According to TransferMarkt he plays as a DM/CM/AM - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/patrick-sontheimer/profil/spieler/296897

Surely, if it's true we are in for him, it would mean Michael Doyle's more likely to end up as a part player/assistant manager. We'll have to wait and see, however, the stronger the centre of midfield gets the less likely I can see a 39-year-old being the clubs captain and first team player.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I doubt this one's realistic. The German third division is a far better level than the National League and at least on a par with League One, and Sontheimer was virtually an ever-present in a team that won promotion to Bundesliga 2 (he missed one game due to suspension). On top of that, he only signed for them permanently in February and is under contract for next season, so even if he was interested in coming he'd likely demand a fee. Even if Würzburg didn't plan with him any more, he'd easily find a third-tier club at least.

OK, Notts could possibly match his wages - we aren't an average NL club, and Würzburg weren't among the big spenders in the third division, never mind the second. But I doubt he'd want to drop down.

I saw him play in Mannheim back in September, but can't remember much about him in all honesty. He played just behind the main striker (which is also where Rodrigues likes to play) but according to Transfermarkt he played deeper too. Würzburg had been on a bad run but looked a good side and won most of the second balls. Sontheimer is an attack-minded player but also strong in the tackle, and the Würzburg fans on their forum certainly seemed happy about it when he signed for them permanently.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,935
  • Days Won:  162

hes the type of player that would look like a coup if the club pulled it off, if its true, thats another thing but i would like players of this type to come to notts.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

On 10/08/2020 at 18:14, DangerousSausage said:

The German third division is a far better level than the National League and at least on a par with League One

Having watched a bit of the German 3rd division (OK - a couple of seasons ago now), I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's at least on par with League One. It's at best on par with League One (the upper teams), but the lower teams are League Two standard at best.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I would be very surprised with the signings made so far, if this rumour was true - it seems not to be the case now.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

On 24/08/2020 at 16:31, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Having watched a bit of the German 3rd division (OK - a couple of seasons ago now), I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's at least on par with League One. It's at best on par with League One (the upper teams), but the lower teams are League Two standard at best.

I'm a season ticket holder and I'd respectfully disagree - OK, Großaspach and Jena were more at pub league level, but that's why they went down. Either way, it's a good standard and the National League would certainly be a big step down for Sontheimer, especially when he's got the chance to establish himself in Bundesliga 2.

On the other hand, it's so far from leftfield that I did wonder if there was something in it, but as the only way we could probably attract him is by waving big wads of cash at him, it's probably best if we didn't.

Archived