Stanley Aborah, Magpie Podcast

Piethagoram

A very enjoyable and honest podcast, I do think the swearing needs to be mindful but it's honest.

I just wouldn't want to see YouTube punish Paul, I think he does a terrific job and, it's nice to see someone listening to the responses he gets and then counters with another question. It flows very natural.

Really liked Aborah as a player, a joy to watch with his technical ability.

It's a very good interview and Stanley certainly doesn't hold back. Confirms a lot of what we thought at the time, that Fullarton dropped him for no reason beyond he didn't like him as a footballer (despite trying to claim he was injured etc...). Fullarton made him train with the kids, who didn't train everyday (absolutely shocking man management skills there). After Stanley asked to leave due to the treatment just described, Aileen Trew spoke to him on the phone and said he would be back in the team 'after defense was sorted out'. Laughable. 

Brought back memories of how bad that atmosphere was. Trews chopping and changing managers with no clear direction, interfering in football decisions where they had no knowledge, Branston sticking his nose in, Fullarton and his horrible monotone, arrogant interviews, the fans cheering when he slipped on the touchline. 

@Super_Danny_Allsopp His comments on how managerial positions and, the frequently changing philosophies is interesting. Signing 3/4 players max, giving a manager chance and even if a season doesn't work out as planned re-group and go again. Success does seem to be brought when everything is in place, people are settled, strong squad etc etc.

I have got to say that was a great 2 hours listen.

@Super_Danny_Allsopp hits the nail on the head above with his comments. I would not go to say regarding the Trews "interfering in football decisions where they had no knowledge". One must recall Julian Winter allegedly saying Fullarton was the new Brendan Rogers with Brano alongside, dictating at polar opposites to what Ricardo was trying to achieve. I would say, "expertise of those two", can be questionable in the ways things panned out.... Aileen Trew, seemingly despairing over the treatment of the most saleable asset Notts had at the time.

Aborah's recounting with Fullarton, saying to him "You're crazy man".... Which I think as Notts supporters, 99.9% in agreement

Wonderful insights into the aftermatch of the Salford game with Dave Kevan going ballistic.

On youth players, Stanley so right that you have got to make space to get young players to develop...like Curtis Thompson and Jordan Richards

Stanley would make a great director of football "Need to protect the culture / philosophy". Would you rather have him than Brano? I certainly would.

Good thoughts on Mark Cooper too. Playing the game in the right way.

Interesting thoughts on Ricardo's coaching in Hungary. Double training sessions Monday Tuesday Wednesday, Thursdays off, Light training Friday, match Saturday. 3 v 3 matches on a full size pitch

On his defensive midfield playing partners, who drifted off up the pitch, leaving the team exposed and implying he carried the can.

A positive insight into what could have been

Ricardo's insight in football always intrigues me, I've always felt had he tightened up the defence that we would've gone on to do better. I'm not sure I agree we overachieved with him, I think we had a good squad on paper but lacked players familiar with the league.

This podcast is one of the standouts within the 'Magpie Circle'.

@ChrisI think Stanley was alluding to, given the "quality" of the squad Brano had signed, Ricardo managed to squeeze and improve some. The non mobility of the forwards didn't help, as their ability to track back to help the midfield just wasn't there. Consequently Stanley highlighted "the gap". I liked Stanley's thoughts that he could have worked well with Curtis Thompson as a defensive midfield duo. The release too early of Jordan Richards another talking point.

Interesting comments and memory of the games v Oxford. Kemar Roofe who was superb but also Lundstram  too, now at Sheffield Utd.

"Tightened up the defence".... well Brano had the whole summer to source a decent centre half and the best we got was Scott Bennett..( I rest my case for the prosecution) :frantics:hardly giving Ricardo the tools to tighten the defence.

Archived