Fantasy scouting: Players who fit Ian Burchnall's Notts County

Chris

I can't guarantee that these players are out of contract, they might have signed deals unknowing to me but I have written down a list of players who I feel fit our clubs way of playing. Some might not be realistic either, as I don't know what budget remains - especially with the parachute payment from the relegation of League Two hence the 'fantasy' in the title.

I'm listing multiple players too, so I will "*" the key players I would show more interest in.

Goalkeepers:

Harry Lewis - 23 - Southampton (Tall, commanding keeper but without a lot of league experience).
Tim McGill - 21 Brighton & Hove (Has featured for the England U17's, promising keeper with some non-league experience).
Christian Walton* - 25 - Brighton & Hove - (Experienced league keeper, good pedigree but most likely would want first-team opportunities within the Football League - ideal replacement for when Sam Slocombe decides to unwind his career though).

Left Backs:

Dan Potts* - 27 - Luton Town - (Pure brilliance and would thrive with Notts no doubt. He's a London lad that probably wouldn't relocate to Nottingham, but he would be a solid signing. He should've been playing much higher than what he has done, and I mean more regularly, but he's loyal).
Sam Hart - 24 - Southend United - (Versatile - can play in midfield or on the wing. Good level of concentration, excellent going forward and stable defensively).

Centre-Backs:

Nathan Baker* - 30 - Bristol City - (He would be a solid coup for a National League team, still can run and defensively good).
Kean Bryan* - 24 - Sheffield United - (Good defender, can play in midfield - fairly tall but would be a good pairing with Alex Lacey).
Ryan Edwards* - 27 - Dundee United - (Strong, vocal, great level of experience and another true leader on the pitch).
Rhys Bennett - 29 - Carlisle United - (Lower tier defender, reliable and decent if partnered correctly).
Aden Baldwin - 24 - Bristol City - (Good when I've seen Eastleigh, young and tactically aware of his positioning). 

CMs:

Jordan Tillson* (DM) - 28 - Ross County - (Defensive, solid leader who works hard).
Josh McEachran* - 28 - MK Dons - (Forward thinking midfielder, who has a good range of passing and decent with unlocking chances).
David Davis - 30 - Shrewsbury Town - (Strong, physical with a good level of experience).
Liam Walsh* - 23 - Bristol City - (Upcoming player who could get a side like Notts really pushing for promotion with his attacking play).
Jake Forster-Caskey* - 27 - Charlton Athletic - (Brilliant leader, a proper fighting midfielder who's competitive spirit brings the best out of his teammates).
Jacob Mellis - 30 - Southend United - (Nottingham born, plenty of experience - a bit inconsistent at times and his attitude can leave questions ask but overall well worth the gamble if a club like Notts could get the best out of him).

Wingers:

Sammy Ameobi - 29 - Nottingham Forest - (He would rip this league a part but highly unlikely to fall beneath League One).
Kazenga LuaLua - 30 - Luton Town - (Skilful, direct, fairly fast and likes to take on his man).
Joe Dodoo* - 25 - Wigan Atheletic - (A far better Enzio type player).
Josh Sims* - 24 - Southampton - (Good forward thinking winger, has had various spells but needs to find a club he can settle with).
Nathan Thomas* - 26 - Hamilton Academical - (Already been here, decent player, decent turn of speed but experience wise he would do well here).
Paris Cowan-Hall - 30 - Colchester United - (Journeyman midfielder, a smart choice if we want to play pretty football on the ground).

Strikers:

Elliot Lee - 26 - Luton Town - (Not a prolific striker, but he's an intelligent footballer that would thrive stepping down into the National League).
Courtney Baker-Richardson - 25 - Barrow - (Pacey, physical - able to hold up the ball. I've seen him play several times, and he tends to cause issues).
Mark Cullen* - 29 - Port Vale (Decent striker when settled, I think he would thrive in if he signed for us). 
Jamie Proctor - 29 - Rotherham United - (hard-working striker, not prolific at all but has experience and would cut it at National League level with the tall physical defenders).

Any of your own fantasy signings? Recommendations?

What do you think of my list, would you sign any?

i cant comment on players to look at really, i know some of the players here and i think if notts could re-sign nathan thomas it would add a bit of depth to the squad. i also like dan potts but i think a league one team will coax him to sign.

Goalkeepers

Harry Isted - 24, Put in a cracking performance for Wealdstone against us last season. Good reflexes.

CB'S

Ben Hockenhull - 19, Had a good season with Brentford's B team and formerly of Manchester United. Good in the air and is useful with the ball at his feet

Jacob Bedeau - 21, Free agent having been released by Scunthorpe. Good on the ball and had Championship interest last season. Will probs be out of our reach

Joe Grayson- 24, Released by Blackburn. Will help us play out from the back if played in central defence. Can also play centre mid if needed

LB'S

Harry Boyes - 19, Impressed on loan at Bradford (Park Avenue) last season and is good going forward. Think he was the Premier League left-back we were going to sign on loan last season, before things broke down. Depends on what Sheffield United's plans are for him

Adam Crookes - 23, Local-ish having played at Forest for a while and Lincoln-born. Released by Port Vale. Can play at left-back or the left side at centre-back

Sam Hart 24 - 24, Tough tackling defender recently let go by Southend. Likes to get forward and can play on the wing

CM'S

Ryan East 22, Former Reading Under 23s captain, who's had sporadic appearances on the bench the last few seasons

Wes Fonguck - 23, Energetic Barnet midfielder who can run forward with the ball and link play. Will help us create

Scott Burgess - 23, Transer listed by Port Vale. Can also play on the wing. Creative but lacking physicality

Tom Lapslie - 25, Tenacious and willing to run and press. Recently released by Colchester

Ryan Trevitt - 18, Bald call this one but he's had a good first season in Brentford's B team. Likes to get forward and can chip in with goals too

Kyle Barker - 20, Defensive midfielder who is comfortable in possession. Still on the books at Posh

George Marsh - 22, Deep-lying Tottenham midfielder who is strong in the tackle and plays in the holding midfield role. Had a solid loan spell at Leyton Orient in 2019-20

Wingers

Dan Mooney - 21, Thought he did well for Alty when he played against us last season. Likes to run at players. Fits our model

Calvin Miller - 23, Impressed when Burchnall came in. With the statement saying we're looking to sign one of the loanees and with Rawlinson being offered a new deal instead of going for Ellis, then I presume Miller is the man

Harry Pritchard - 28, Released by Bradford and could be useful with his versatility, as he can play on the wing and in central midfield. Did well at this level with Maidenhead. 

Strikers

Andy Dallas - 21, Cambridge forward who we're interested in. Scored 12 in 25 last season for Weymouth. Has bags of pace. Still young which fits our model

Olufela Olomola - 23, Free agent since leaving Scunthorpe. Has chipped in with goals in previous spells at Yeovil and Carlisle

Cameron Archer - 19, Aston Villa youngster who scored 5 goals in 12 starting appearances last season (including 16 sub appearances) for Solihull. Very quick

Josh Walker - 23, Offered a new deal by Barnet. Had a good season in 2019-20 but I believe was hampered by injury last season. 2019-20 season consisted of 8 goals in the league and 5 in the FA Trophy. Promising

Michael Tait - 20, Just been let go by Villa. Can play up front or can drop into attacking midfield. Contributed with goals in Aston Villa's U23 team

Danny Cashman - 20, Just left Brighton. Can also play attacking midfield and on the wing, as well as his normal striker role. Likes to bring the ball forward and run at defenders. Only 5"6 but has good technical ability and movement. Recently said if he did drop down the pyramid, he knows he would have to improve his physical game. 

Some I've left out as I don't think we'd sign them. Some of these have stood out this season in the National League and have Football League interest.

Dani Orsi-Dadomo, Sonny Carey, Ben Whitfield, Rhys Oates, Isaac Olaofe, David Ajiboye, Kabongo Tshimanga, Dan Jarvis, Joe Tomlinson. Jack Earing would be on that list but he's just gone to Walsall.

Good thread. Like your list @Chris and your optimism, but think most of those players are well out of our capability to sign (as in they won't drop to the NL). 

Some of the players that played against us this season, from the top of my head:

Goalkeeper

Harry Isted:  GK that played for Wealdstone on loan from Luton Town. Always has a great game against us and a good shot stopper. Still quite young for a keeper (24) and could be a replacement should Slocombe leave. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Isted

CB

Pierce Bird - Think we're familiar with Pierce. Liked him as a player but it was clear Ardley didn't, hence him being released. He's played very well for Eastleigh this year and since coming into the side early in the season as their CB got injured, he's been a stalwart since. If we want to play out from the back, Pierce's left peg would be a fine asset to have and he can step out from defence as a left sided CB in a back 3. He's been offered a contract by Eastleigh, but could be tempted to return to Notts, I imagine. 

CM/CAM

Sonny Carey is a great CM/CAM playing for Kings Lynn. However, I think he's going a lot further up the pyramid (https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/the-rise-of-kings-lynn-midfielder-sonny-carey-8069304)

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans - 24 year old attacking midfielder/winger/second striker at Torquay. Direct and got 9 goals for Torquay this season. Contract expires in the summer, again probably depends on the result from tomorrows game. Will have a few clubs looking at him.

Wingers

Isaac Olaofe - the young winger that ripped us apart for Sutton. He's on loan from Milwall and I imagine they will now loan him to L2/L1, or keep them in their own squad.

Rhys Oates - Attacker and he is out of contract and if Hartlepool don't go up, we could try and nab their star man. It's a stretch, but worth exploring IMO. Will demand a fairly sizeable wage I imagine. If they do go up (and I believe they will), he'll probably stay with Hartlepool.

Strikers

Kabongo Tshimanga is a great striker that would offer a lot in our team. Looks to make runs in behind and is direct with a good shot on him. He's only 23 and got a goal every 2nd game for Oxford City and Boreham Wood. I imagine that he will get a move to the EFL - league one probably. However, if we could get him in, it'd be a real show of intent. Imagine having a front 5 of Wootton, Roberts, Rodrigues, Miller and Tshimanga. 

Sam Barratt: Striker that scored 1 in 2 for Maidenhead. He's had his injury problems before and perhaps again this season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Barratt

If I could choose one out of that list, it'd be Tshimanga. I think he's exactly what is missing from our attack. 

@Piethagoram had some great scouting reports after some of our games that are worth a look back over. 

3 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Perhaps we should have been pro active earlier in going for Sonny Carey, Ipswich now very interested

Yep, exactly like we were with Roberts. If you wait, you risk the bigger clubs becoming interesting. 

Notts County are an attractive club for players at this level, but not compared to a League One club like Ipswich. 

5 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Jimmy Sirrel Stand forum > The Match > Ratings & >Scouting Dossier

I've been thinking about tinkering with 'The Match' section, I dwindled the forums down a bit - as some was manageable to merged into the main forum. One thing quite a lot of our fans criticise PON for is the amount of forums, so I am mindful about over doing them.

I think they could go inside one forum, but perhaps the forums title needs changing?

So that it doesn't just seem to be about the games Notts play, but also ratings, scouting, player analysis etc.

There's plenty of ways that PON condenses content though, so I'm not against adding sub sections but I do think the easiest route would be to address the main forums title.

---

The aim of was to form a discussion about potential signings, most of my list probably won't drop below League One. Yet some younger players already have, I am sure Notts has their own list which they're tracking. 💪🏻

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of Notts fans would welcome Pierce Bird back, yet I don't see it happening.

Very good young defender that would only improve more with time and has done well since leaving, yet just like Sam Osborne we don't commit to giving these types of players the proper game time.

23 hours ago, Chris said:

I think a lot of Notts fans would welcome Pierce Bird back, yet I don't see it happening.

Very good young defender that would only improve more with time and has done well since leaving, yet just like Sam Osborne we don't commit to giving these types of players the proper game time.

Agreed. With Chicksen resigning, that LCB role seems pretty tied up now. 

On 19/06/2021 at 18:59, ARLukomski said:

Goalkeepers

Harry Isted - 24, Put in a cracking performance for Wealdstone against us last season. Good reflexes.

CB'S

Ben Hockenhull - 19, Had a good season with Brentford's B team and formerly of Manchester United. Good in the air and is useful with the ball at his feet

Jacob Bedeau - 21, Free agent having been released by Scunthorpe. Good on the ball and had Championship interest last season. Will probs be out of our reach

Joe Grayson- 24, Released by Blackburn. Will help us play out from the back if played in central defence. Can also play centre mid if needed

LB'S

Harry Boyes - 19, Impressed on loan at Bradford (Park Avenue) last season and is good going forward. Think he was the Premier League left-back we were going to sign on loan last season, before things broke down. Depends on what Sheffield United's plans are for him

Adam Crookes - 23, Local-ish having played at Forest for a while and Lincoln-born. Released by Port Vale. Can play at left-back or the left side at centre-back

Sam Hart 24 - 24, Tough tackling defender recently let go by Southend. Likes to get forward and can play on the wing

CM'S

Ryan East 22, Former Reading Under 23s captain, who's had sporadic appearances on the bench the last few seasons

Wes Fonguck - 23, Energetic Barnet midfielder who can run forward with the ball and link play. Will help us create

Scott Burgess - 23, Transer listed by Port Vale. Can also play on the wing. Creative but lacking physicality

Tom Lapslie - 25, Tenacious and willing to run and press. Recently released by Colchester

Ryan Trevitt - 18, Bald call this one but he's had a good first season in Brentford's B team. Likes to get forward and can chip in with goals too

Kyle Barker - 20, Defensive midfielder who is comfortable in possession. Still on the books at Posh

George Marsh - 22, Deep-lying Tottenham midfielder who is strong in the tackle and plays in the holding midfield role. Had a solid loan spell at Leyton Orient in 2019-20

Wingers

Dan Mooney - 21, Thought he did well for Alty when he played against us last season. Likes to run at players. Fits our model

Calvin Miller - 23, Impressed when Burchnall came in. With the statement saying we're looking to sign one of the loanees and with Rawlinson being offered a new deal instead of going for Ellis, then I presume Miller is the man

Harry Pritchard - 28, Released by Bradford and could be useful with his versatility, as he can play on the wing and in central midfield. Did well at this level with Maidenhead. 

Strikers

Andy Dallas - 21, Cambridge forward who we're interested in. Scored 12 in 25 last season for Weymouth. Has bags of pace. Still young which fits our model

Olufela Olomola - 23, Free agent since leaving Scunthorpe. Has chipped in with goals in previous spells at Yeovil and Carlisle

Cameron Archer - 19, Aston Villa youngster who scored 5 goals in 12 starting appearances last season (including 16 sub appearances) for Solihull. Very quick

Josh Walker - 23, Offered a new deal by Barnet. Had a good season in 2019-20 but I believe was hampered by injury last season. 2019-20 season consisted of 8 goals in the league and 5 in the FA Trophy. Promising

Michael Tait - 20, Just been let go by Villa. Can play up front or can drop into attacking midfield. Contributed with goals in Aston Villa's U23 team

Danny Cashman - 20, Just left Brighton. Can also play attacking midfield and on the wing, as well as his normal striker role. Likes to bring the ball forward and run at defenders. Only 5"6 but has good technical ability and movement. Recently said if he did drop down the pyramid, he knows he would have to improve his physical game. 

Some I've left out as I don't think we'd sign them. Some of these have stood out this season in the National League and have Football League interest.

Dani Orsi-Dadomo, Sonny Carey, Ben Whitfield, Rhys Oates, Isaac Olaofe, David Ajiboye, Kabongo Tshimanga, Dan Jarvis, Joe Tomlinson. Jack Earing would be on that list but he's just gone to Walsall.

Since I've made this list, Grayson has gone to Barrow, Hart to Oldham, Miller to Chesterfield and Fonguck has signed a new deal at Barnet

Now this one probably is a complete fantasy but... Ian Burchnall signed Ravel Morrison for Ostersunds. No doubting the talent but would it ever work out? Casper Sloth all over again? He hasn't ever settled anywhere...

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2021 at 21:02, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Goalkeeper

Harry Isted:  Re-signed for Luton Town

CB

Pierce Bird - Signed for King's Lynn Town.

CM/CAM

Sonny Carey - Signed for League One Blackpool. 

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans - Still contracted to Torquay. 

Wingers

Isaac Olaofe - Contracted to Millwall. Not loaned out at the minute. 
Rhys Oates - Signed for Mansfield

Strikers

Kabongo Tshimanga: Still contracted to Boreham Wood.

Sam Barratt: Still contracted to Maidenhead. 

Archived