FFP and the "Elite"

KB1862

With Messi leaving Barcelona and PSG looking the likely destination there's a few things that have come to light. 

Apparently PSG are going to be able to sign Messi on top of signing Donnaruma and Ramos already while also keeping their key players and won't face any sanctions for the next 3 years. 

The reason they won't have sanctions for the next 3 years? By not sanctioning PSG they are helping World Cup 2022 hosts Qatar. The quote reads as the following

"The Committee in charge of Financial Fair Play have decided not to apply any economic sanctions on PSG until 2023. This was decided to help Qatar as they're hosting the World Cup in 2022"

Effectively they're saying that PSG have the power to break all rules possible and face no consequences for the next few years. In that time they can achieve multiple things before sanctions are put in place. If any are. 

Plus, isn't the PSG owner under investigation for bribing UEFA officials? 

Manchester City were investigated for breaching FFP and cooking the books hence the suspension from the CL yet it got overturned they made the final now they have splashed £100m while fresh evidence has come to light. 

Barcelona are a club being run into the ground by poor ownership as they need to offload €135m to register the 4 new signings. 

Inter are on the verge of liquidation hence the sale of so many players. 

No wonder these clubs want the ESL to take off, none more so than Real Madrid. 

Talking of the ESL, Premier League clubs were fined £3m each for the part they played which is nothing to those teams. Meanwhile clubs in leagues one and two who have had poor ownership and no funding from them get punished with points deductions and fines that they simply can't afford. Where is the logic? 

There's a reason why clubs struggle to make it in the Premier League and that's because they haven't got the funds to compete and when they have that opportunity like Newcastle did with the take over, the "Top 6" clubs complain and the PL bow down to them and stop it happening. Why? Because it would disrupt the balance. 

I think Messi joining PSG shows a lack of challenge on his behalf, yet the amount of wages that's been thrown around is silly. I mean, Jake told me that a Barcelona player had been asked to accept a lower amount in wages just so that Messi could be re-signed - I don't know if this is true, I've not fact-checked it. Yet no player should be asked to take a dip in wages in order to sign another expensive player.

Also, I laughed when ITV's commentary said that Manchester City had pulled out of signing Messi due to the Grealish signing.

It's insane! but even funnier is the rumours about Spurs chasing him.

Best in the world? He had a chance to truly prove this and he chose one of the poorest leagues. I don't care what anyone else says, the French league is **** poor. 

Supporter+
12 hours ago, Chris said:

I think Messi joining PSG shows a lack of challenge on his behalf, yet the amount of wages that's been thrown around is silly. I mean, Jake told me that a Barcelona player had been asked to accept a lower amount in wages just so that Messi could be re-signed - I don't know if this is true, I've not fact-checked it. Yet no player should be asked to take a dip in wages in order to sign another expensive player.

Also, I laughed when ITV's commentary said that Manchester City had pulled out of signing Messi due to the Grealish signing.

It's insane! but even funnier is the rumours about Spurs chasing him.

Best in the world? He had a chance to truly prove this and he chose one of the poorest leagues. I don't care what anyone else says, the French league is **** poor. 

Jake is spot on. Pique took a pay cut so other players could be kept at the club. Barcelona are in debt to to the tune of 1 billion Euros. Yep you read that right. 1 billion. The amount of money in football at the highest level is absolutely obscene. I take more pleasure in lower level football these days. It's real football. 

I think it's morally wrong not to sanction them, but I am also surprised that Barcelona wasn't allowed to re-sign Messi before they got sanctioned themselves. Just so that they managed to retain Messi, but PSG seem to have a lot more political powers in football than most.

@Chris I fully agree with all that. Messi has achieved so much in his career and is without doubt one of the greatest of all time but leaving Barcelona opened up so much for himself. He could have even returned home and played for his boyhood club. He could have even gone to the Premier League, obviously wages would have been an issue. But going to a club that has no real challenge that make finals every year and is constantly fighting for the title shows so much lack of ambition. 

Jake's right the whole Barca squad was asked to drop wages and even some were asked to leave to make space available so Messi could resign as well as being able to register new signings like Aguero Memphis etc. 

Spurs wouldn't be able to afford him anyway since they're paying off their stadium still. 

@Dripsey3 exactly the same here. Lower down there's more of a level playing field that makes it so much more competitive. It just baffles me how a club can get in this much debt and nothing happens to them. Meanwhile lower down clubs get debts and all of a sudden they're looked at and punished. 

@liampie I enjoy the Premier League but Champions League does not interest me one bit unless it has an all English final. 

@Joshua it's just incredible how PSG can't be sanctioned because of the impact it would have on the world Cup next year. They have not abided by any FFP what so ever. Mbappe and Neymar combined 300m in one window now they have Messi, Ramos, Donnaruma in one window. That doesn't seem right. 

Barca weren't allowed to re sign Messi

Spanish law doesn't allow people to take a 50% wage drop and even if he played for free they'd still be over budget. They could have resigned Messi but wouldn't have been able to register him. 

I find the Messi situation weird as he was "upset" about leaving but this is the 3rd time he's asked to leave I believe. I think it was all a ploy to force a move to PSG where he would be able to get more money which he's now accomplished. By not resigning he knew that the club couldn't afford to keep him and they'd have no alternative but to let him go. If he cared that much he'd have signed a contract sooner. 

Archived