Notts County Vs Sheffield United

Chris

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

GET IN THERE!!!!

Fantastic result today, our first win over the Blunts since 1994 I overheard someone say. And it all looked so bleak so early on didnt it? To fall behind so early on could have killed us, in truth we were not at the races at all for the first 10-15 minutes, but gradually we came more onto the game. We settled down and played our own game. I'm not sure with what part of his body Enoch scored our equaliser but it went on, and how we celebrated!

Second half, it was nervy stuff. I couldn't quite believe it when Mark Fortheringham of all people popped up in the right place at the right time to score our second and send Meadow Lane mad. I swear to god I lost about 5 years of my life in those final twenty minutes or so, the clock wasen't working!

Thought Manny Smith deserved his MOTM award - yet again he won absolutely everything in the air and looked as though he'd been playing there for years. Enoch looked like a man possesed! Despite a dodgy start he, like the rest of the side grew more into the game and by the end Sheff Utd simply couldn't cope with him. JCR also ran his legs off and made their defence's life difficult with his speed and trickery.

On a personal note it was really great to be back home at Meadow Lane again. It's the first time I've been up since October 2011, and it sure brought back memories. I have to admit I was worried I'd be dissapointed by the experience. When you listen to matches on MP and watch the highlights you very rarely get much of the atmosphere through and I was really worried tha the atmosphere at Meadow Lane I'd grown to love had gone, but it certainly hasen't! Even despite the early setback the Kop was in fine voice throughout, I've got a sore throat as I type.

Great day, great result. WE ARE STAYING UP! YOOOOOUUUUUUUU PIIIIEEESSSSS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Well done Pies, impressive result, mid table waits!!!! :thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Sheffield fans shouted several times in quick succession for handball but the ref ignored them all, this prompted the Notts fans to shout handball at every opportunity, including once when a united player was trotting down the line to take a throw in as soon as he picked the ball up there was a huge shout of handball.

It was very funny but you had to be there to appreciate it.

I may well have had a hand in starting that off, it was funny! One of those moments where you had to be there to see the funny side of it, as you say :)

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

Well, I am extremely pleased with the performance and crucially, the result. If we keep playing like this and keep getting the odd slice of luck (which surely we're overdue after a wretched first half of the season) there may be improvement and hopefully a bit of a climb up the table!

It's really nice to be writing match reports full of hope and passion and positivism at the moment! :)

http://www.prideofnottingham.co.uk/home/reports/notts-county-2-1-sheffield-united-r228

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

Bart - 7 - Did what he had to, no chance with their goal.

Freeman - 6 - VERY nervy at the start, misplaced passes, poor positioning. Improved as the game went on.

Smith - 9 - Star man, won every ball and a lot of balls he was never entitled to win.

Leacock - 7 - Solid.

Sheehan - 7 - Probably better getting forward than he was defending. Some good deliveries.

JCR - 8.5 - Fantastic footwork and skill. For once, instead of beating someone and then doing it again, he was getting to good positions and getting the ball in the box. They put 2 men on him in the second half, but he still managed to create lots. Great game for him.

Boucaud - 6.5 - Nervy at the start, lots of wayward passes and hospital balls. Improved, but fairly quiet.

Fotheringham - 7.5 - I'm a massive critic of him, but he played very well today. His distribution was much improved, spreading cross field balls about for fun. Also got stuck in and no silly fouls we normally see him committ.Took his goal well. If he has changed his boots, don't change them again.

Grealish - 7.5 - So much skill and ball control, just glides past opponents. At times needs to pass earlier, and shoot on sight. At times seems like he wants to walk it into the back of the net, but he does have the skill to do it.

Murray - 7 - Played well, gots into lots of good positions and gave their defence probems. Always looked dangerous.

Showunmi - 7 - Is he a great footballer? No. Does he offer something different, certainly. He won a lot of balls up front, and played other players in very well. People expect him to win every single ball that is played to him, not realistic. He's not Drogba. Loved his cross field sprints to close the opposition down.

Haynes - N/A

Derry - 9 - Got pretty much everything right. So much passion. I watched him when we went 1 down and he was going absolutely mental. The players responded - so much better squad harmony than under previous managers. 

Kop - 8.5 - Very good atmosphere I thought. HANDBALL! :lol:

Looking forward to the next game now, YP!

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Bart - 7 - I can't really recall him having much to do but when he was needed, he did well.

Freeman - 6.5 - Slow starter, made some key mistakes early but he got his act together and steadily came into the game.

Smith - 8 - Very absent in the first 25 minutes, their goal a mistake by back two. Very easy goal for them but much like Freeman - Smith came more and more into the game.

Leacock - 7 - Acceptable - He was also absent early on but got his act together.

Sheehan - 7.5 - Very solid, he was the only defender in the first 25 minutes who actually looked to be at the game. If he hadn't of intercepted the ball and knocked it out for a corner - the result might have been different. Good performance overall!

JCR - 8 - Who says he can't cross? Haha... He put some dead balls in but he ran his heart out and was one of our main driving forces!

Boucaud - 5.0 - Woeful early on, gave the ball away countless of times and wasn't very effective. The brief decent spells wasn't all that often and I felt he was one of the under performers.

Fotheringham - 7 - He got stuck in, contributed and seemed to playing with more confidence. I don't know why the hell he chipped that ball in, waste of a chance but he made up for it by scoring!

Grealish - 7 - He drawn fouls, looked to be playing without concerns and he wanted the ball. After they had started to physical mark him, his drifting wider was a bit more disappointing because it took him out of the game at times but overall he was the player pulling the strings along with JCR.

Murray - 7 - Always wanted the ball, always keen to make a good pass - Excellent team work, battling, determination and he supported our striker! I thought he was upfront at the beginning!! Brilliant player.

Showunmi - 7 - Poor touches, looked very flimsy and at a point his confidence seem to be low. The Kop instead of shouting to get him off (15 mins in???) started singing his name and his confidence grew, as did the effort he put in. Not long after he silenced those who was calling for him to go, now it takes time to get a grip on games and with support, it encourages! He played pretty well! Acceptable :)

Haynes - N/A - Didn't look interested or bothered, seemed to think we was winning by 9 goals or something.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

Outstanding result yesterday!  And I'm especially pleased to see that Smith is impressing.  If he can keep himself out of the ref's little book then we may have a consistent CB pairing for the rest of the season.  

We're not out of the woods yet though.  Derry needs some committed backing from the board to make sure we're in L1 next season, and then moving up after that.  So far I don't see L1 as sustainable, but the one above may well be and much preferred to the one below.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I may well have had a hand in starting that off, it was funny! One of those moments where you had to be there to see the funny side of it, as you say :)

So it was your fault @weymouthPIE! Well done it made my day. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

Outstanding result yesterday!  And I'm especially pleased to see that Smith is impressing.  If he can keep himself out of the ref's little book then we may have a consistent CB pairing for the rest of the season.  

We're not out of the woods yet though.  Derry needs some committed backing from the board to make sure we're in L1 next season, and then moving up after that.  So far I don't see L1 as sustainable, but the one above may well be and much preferred to the one below.

agree, if we get it now we can push on and make things easier. it does look positive but certain positions do need addressing pretty quickly.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Never mind the great escape 2014, the play offs are still on. Oh and @notts-joe, what are the lotto numbers for Saturday

• Content Count:  68

Hopefully, as tweeted by a west midland sports reporter, Grealish has been recalled to play Liverpool in a youth cup game, and is then likely to be back at Notts for the rest of the season.

Macgregor sounds a lot more complicated.  Unbelievably, Lennon seems prepared to sell him.  A lot of Celtic fans aren't at all happy about it.  Apparently they want Griffiths from Wolves and were hoping to do a straight swap for Macgregor. Wolves weren't keen on this and have allegedly put in a 750k straight bid for him.  They seem to be buying everyone, but then, they have millions in parachute payments left.

I think it could be a bad move for Macgregor as if he doesn't get off to a flying start he could soon find himself benched, or out of the squad altogether, there are so many other players waiting in the wings.  I wonder if he has a lot of choice in the matter?  If Celtic accept a bid, but he doesn't want to sign for them, would this put him in a difficult position with Celtic?  I suppose it could.

• Content Count:  68

...Sorry, should the post above be on the different forum Joe?  Feel free to move it if so!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Let's hope all parties can come togeether and see that this is good for Jack & Mac to play together.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-County-Wolves-play-Callum-McGregor/story-20438906-detail/story.html

Pull your Finger out Mr Lennon

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Never mind the great escape 2014, the play offs are still on. Oh and @notts-joe, what are the lotto numbers for Saturday

It's a fluke sadly, I wouldn't ask me. Always bound to have one lucky day, just look at my attempts with the prediction league. I go from 0 to 2 to 4 and then I have a good week, followed by another 0. If you want the lotto numbers though, I can ask my eldest daughter Ellie (she's the lucky one).

4 wins and 1 draw (no games lost) ;)

Archived