Boys And Weapons

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Our five year old Grandson George doesn't watch violent films or programmes, he never has toy guns, knives, swords or any other weapon bought him as a toy his parents don't believe in giving kids toy weapons.

However he makes pretend weapons out of almost anything, the other day he had been shopping with his mum and when they got home and were unpacking he pulled out a leek and promptly decided it was a sword and he was going to stab his mother! Out walking he will pick up a stick and decide it is a gun and play soldiers etc.,

What is it with boys and weapons, it seems to be something that is inbred and comes natural to them. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think it's like swearing.

Jake never swore, he came home swearing one day (with Kate) and she mentioned it to me. I said he probably heard someone at school, so I asked him and he denied it. For awhile Jake would never swear if I was around, you know children they think it's funny but he's well aware I don't tolerate it.

George perhaps saw friends at school play fighting and so on, it's hard to keep these things away from them.

I personally think it's better to educate than to hide something, I also think if you know how to use a weapon you can likely defend yourself and I don't mind my own children playing with toy weapons. They know not to hurt each other, if things get scrappy - the toys are taken a way. Only one who get's away with it is Ava who is always hitting me with things!!! You have to laugh though, she does say sorrrrrrweeee after each time.

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

im not sure its something that comes natural, least not holding pretend swords or guns. its probably like joe mentioned, hes seen someone play acting. other i guess george will go to invent some awesome things!

i dont really agree with kids watching violent films but playing with guns, good parenting its ok.

some little bleeders with bbguns and stuff like that, shooting you as you pass is very annoying tho.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

It's noticeable that boys seem to like to play fighting games ,whether it's cowboys and indians,cops and robbers,wresttling or similar.It's usually pretend fighting ,though it does have to be supervised closely or can soon get out of control.I don't think kids realise the pain they can cause nor intend to hurt.It's all part of growing up and learning what is and what is not acceptable.

Supporter+

It's noticeable that boys seem to like to play fighting games ,whether it's cowboys and indians,cops and robbers,wresttling or similar.It's usually pretend fighting ,though it does have to be supervised closely or can soon get out of control.I don't think kids realise the pain they can cause nor intend to hurt.It's all part of growing up and learning what is and what is not acceptable.

I agree that they don't realise the pain they can cause, George is just the right height to hit me in a very tender spot when he is play fighting with me. :shocked:

Just weight for him to grow a bit older, he'll have you head locks - sleeper holds and all sorts.

P.S Hide wrestling, majority of people know Jake, Ellie and Ava love climbing and grappling.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

I agree that they don't realise the pain they can cause, George is just the right height to hit me in a very tender spot when he is play fighting with me. :shocked:

It does not get better as they grow up, protect yourself now. 

How old is George? 4-5??

Supporter+

It does not get better as they grow up, protect yourself now.

How old is George? 4-5??

He's five and packs a punch.

• Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

I think it's very natural for boys to behave this way.

Afterall, Men have performed this way for as far back as we can document, and still goes on in a lot of the world today. It is ingrained into our genetics. There is a reason that sports, such as football, are popular. It's a battle, or a fight, but with different weapons. 

Personally, I would rather kids be out pretending leeks are swords and saying peow peow with water pistols than sat in front of a laptop playing candy crush all day. 

Supporter+

I'd rather he was out practising his heading technique he's going to play for Notts one day centre forward just like big Tone and when he scores I'll be there, he'll jump over the barrier and celebrate with me, he'll get booked but it will worth it.

I think it's very natural for boys to behave this way.

Afterall, Men have performed this way for as far back as we can document, and still goes on in a lot of the world today. It is ingrained into our genetics. There is a reason that sports, such as football, are popular. It's a battle, or a fight, but with different weapons. 

Personally, I would rather kids be out pretending leeks are swords and saying peow peow with water pistols than sat in front of a laptop playing candy crush all day. 

I say the exact same thing to @super_pie, when I was his age I was outside after getting back from school playing football and all sorts. God help us achieve anything when the sit in front a tablet/pc/console generation come through.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  68
  • Days Won:  0

We kept our boy away from guns for years, but then we allowed a water pistol one summer and then Nerf target things slowly crept in. We decided to focus on teaching him control (as best we could, ahem).

I really agree with Messrs. Allsopp and Hately above, keep them at sports. Ours do yoga for 10 mins before school five mornings a week, Judo with their dad three times a week, football (aka soccer :sick:  ) once and climbing once - (+ swimming/cycling/hiking when we can). They're definitely more pliable when they're tired out!

Supporter+

I like play fighting with dad, tho he does not let me win. George sounds lively.

He's certainly lively Super_pie he wears us out.

I bet you beat your Dad up eh?

Did George go today?

Lastly, only when I let him. ;)

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

i think it"s all about the Education. Good fun is playing when you are between 3 &13 . I had issues with my son in regards to weapons, so I mentioned to him that it is only to be played with family members and never EVER outside. So with his Sister & Cousins, they can play all day Cops & Robbers, etc etc  

Supporter+

Did George go today?

No mate, I decided not to take him as it was a big match and I wondered if there might be a bit of trouble amongst fans.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

He's five and packs a punch.

Watch out for the accidental head butts.Last Friday Ava jumped up while sitting on my knee and accidently butted two of my front teeth with so much force that it brought tears to my eyes..She just jumped off my knee and ran to Granny rubbing the back of her head giving me a withering look.One of the teeth came out later in the evening!

Supporter+

Watch out for the accidental head butts.Last Friday Ava jumped up while sitting on my knee and accidently butted two of my front teeth with so much force that it brought tears to my eyes..She just jumped off my knee and ran to Granny rubbing the back of her head giving me a withering look.One of the teeth came out later in the evening!

Poor Ava, I hope you didn't hurt her, nasty grandad fancy biting her head. :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Yeth,thanks for the thympathy @tonyhateley..I came off wortht.!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Mine is 25, I am constantly keeping my strength and skills up waiting for the day. I think it is all about our natural desire to be the strongest, quickest, best... etc

This goes right back to the dawning of time, and how many times have we heard, the survival of the fittest and most able.

Man has evolved and fought all his life, so I think it is in us all from day one.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

All the time, he uses his knee as an excuse for me to take it easy on him.

Supporter+

All the time, he uses his knee as an excuse for me to take it easy on him.

Ha ha, you are obviously more than a match for him if he's got to use his bad knee to get him out of trouble.

• Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Ava did it again yesterday.This time jumping up excitedly banging Super's lower jaw up from below with her head.The look on her face was a picture!Super in the wars again.

Archived