Healthy Living: Balancing Nutrition, Exercise, and Self-Care

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

@Fan of Big Tone I had heard they changed the course at Long Eaton (a long while back).  I was running with my nephew who was about 18 at the time (he is 25 now).  He had bet me he could beat me over 5km... I helped him through the mud and waited for him, walked with him and cajoled him along for 4.8km... then he sprinted off and beat me!  I have never done the fully tarmac course, so I'll have to head back and give it a go.  

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,958
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Sounds similar to when I took my Grandson @George L he was very reluctant and I had to gee him up over the whole course then on the last 200 metres he took off like a rocket leaving me in his wake. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Keep going, @Chris. You’ll start to see more significant improvements if you stay on the path you’re on. I’m fortunate, I can eat non-stop and not gain weight. This might change when I reach my 30s, but for now, I’m enjoying it.

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

From here on until the new year, I will be taking part in a pain rehab group.

Hopefully, it will make a difference to the pain I experience in my lower back. It's the one area I can't deal with or cope with. I would rather dislocate both my legs than to continue with the pain in my back as it's awful. I have learned over time to handle hEDS (very hypermobile).  I am sure others will relate, that back pain can be very intense, and it prevents you from doing so many different things.

Anywho, I had my first session today. I am the youngest there by a mile, I sort of had everyone staring at me at the beginning. 😂

The session was a good introduction, it tired me out but so far my back just feels numb. If the exercises and routine can help make me tolerate the pain or reduce it, I will be very happy. As I say, I would rather dislocate parts of my body than live with continuous back pain that is horrible.

Fingers crossed it will help on the weight front too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

I make sure I walk for 30 minutes most days, apart from walking. I'm about the perfect weight for my age and size, work keeps me on my toes. On Fridays, I usually go for a jog after having a drink or two with my colleagues, quite handy as long as I don't end up missing the bus. :unsure:

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,958
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

@Chris good luck with the pain rehab I hope it helps with the pain and weight loss that would be a double bonus.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  18,309
  • Days Won:  28

@Fan of Big Tone Long eaton park area near the leisure centre used to always be flooded during winter months so i can't imagine its much different now.

I'm not really into park runs but eating healthier would be good, would need to cut down my chocolate consumption though, not that i eat tonnes. I am constantly told i need to eat more but food but i am generally not hungry most of the day and park runs would not do my constant sinus headache(sometimes migraine) and constant congestion/lack of being able to breathe through my nose much good. 😂.

On a general note, i get enough steps in everyday with everything at home and school(work). 

• Like 3

On 04/12/2023 at 15:43, Chris said:

From here on until the new year, I will be taking part in a pain rehab group.

Hopefully, it will make a difference to the pain I experience in my lower back. It's the one area I can't deal with or cope with. I would rather dislocate both my legs than to continue with the pain in my back as it's awful. I have learned over time to handle hEDS (very hypermobile).  I am sure others will relate, that back pain can be very intense, and it prevents you from doing so many different things.

Anywho, I had my first session today. I am the youngest there by a mile, I sort of had everyone staring at me at the beginning. 😂

The session was a good introduction, it tired me out but so far my back just feels numb. If the exercises and routine can help make me tolerate the pain or reduce it, I will be very happy. As I say, I would rather dislocate parts of my body than live with continuous back pain that is horrible.

Fingers crossed it will help on the weight front too.

I've had a couple of bad back injuries (herniated discs from hockey and football) and had an operation and 'manipulation under general anaesthetic (which I don't want to know any more about as it sounds horrendous).  I found Pilates was absolutely brilliant for the managing of the issue as it builds up muscular support for the spine which also reduces the pain.  It takes time and persistence, but well worth it.  It wouldn't surprise me if the pain rehab isn't Pilates based, if so it is worth the effort.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 04/12/2023 at 22:23, Fan of Big Tone said:

@Chris good luck with the pain rehab I hope it helps with the pain and weight loss that would be a double bonus.

Third class today, I didn't enjoy it one bit, but you have to push on through it.

Out of a group of 8 people, we are now down to six including me, and I am the only male. 2 other males have dropped out. I do notice a small difference for a bit, but I am not sure if it's going to make a difference worth it. Yet, I will push on. I am a little more encouraged with my walking, as I have had issues with that, but we shall see. I'll continue, it's not like I expect instant results, but I am a bit wary that my back just might not like it.

On 06/12/2023 at 09:58, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

I've had a couple of bad back injuries (herniated discs from hockey and football) and had an operation and 'manipulation under general anaesthetic (which I don't want to know any more about as it sounds horrendous).  I found Pilates was absolutely brilliant for the managing of the issue as it builds up muscular support for the spine which also reduces the pain.  It takes time and persistence, but well worth it.  It wouldn't surprise me if the pain rehab isn't Pilates based, if so it is worth the effort.  

Ouch...

The situation sounds absolutely dreadful, Ohh Tommy. I'm glad you have managed to find something that works for you. Yes, I think you are right about it being Pilates based. I keep meaning to give DDP Yoga more of a serious run, as I have seen ex wrestlers make no end of progress with Diamond Dallas Page's help. It seems a little more focused on people with injuries and limited abilities.

Thank you both for your support and encouragement.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Chris Stick with it.  The idea of Pilates is that it builds the muscle structures that support the core and spine, so it is a long process.  It took me months to get there, so stick with it and hopefully those benefits will last longer and longer.

• Love 1