Player ratings v Grimsby

Elite_pie

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Great to be able to do them as a Football League club again:

Stone 6 - I'll have to see the highlights, but I thought he could have done better with their first. Other than that, his kicking was good, when he went long he went looong, aiming in the right area.
Brindley 7.5 - I've been concerned about his form and that didn't change until he went into the centre, but then he was a revelation. Barely put a foot wrong and it was great to see the old Brindley back (I don't mean Bill!).
Rawlinson 6 - Looked better on the right of a back three, did ok.
Cameron 6.5 - Better from the skipper, no silly mistakes and linked play well on the left.
Nemane 7 - Unfortunate with the back pass but had his marker beaten all game.
Palmer 7 - Does what he does, always available and barely wasted a pass.
Bostock 7.5 - Has that touch of class, linked play well and a good finish to get us level.
Crowley 8.5* - I was concerned he might be a bit lightweight, but he has real quality on the ball. Great to see him get the winner, he looks a really good signing.
Jones 8 - his goal might go down as an 'og', but if we get the ball to him quick enough he will deliver quality crosses or shots.
McGoldrick 6 - Some really good moments and some that didn't quite come off. I think he'll offer a bit more goal threat in future games than he did today.
Langstaff 6 - today wasn't his day, but the effort is there and when we put balls in the box he was in the right place.

O'Brien 7 - added a bit of energy and grit just when we needed it.
Austin 6 - Did his job, can be better.
Chicksen 7 - Unusual to see him on the right side, but negated their most threatening area.
Scott 6 - Worked hard and did well in what isn't his natural position.
TAR 6 - offered an outlet on the right when we went long.

Really enjoyable game, a proper footy match. We needed points on the board, so hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I thought McGoldrick played superbly in the first half and looked a handful, as he looked to get others around him in more advanced positions. I would most certainly give him a 7 at a minimum.

Compared to Crowley, who came alive more so in the second half and looked quite lost in the first 45+ minutes, I felt more pleased with McGoldrick overall.

O'Brien was class, very eager to get stuck in and win the ball back.

Most of the other sub players I couldn't really rate due to them not being involved as much due to their time on the pitch.

I largely agree, otherwise with you @Elite_pie. It's nice to see you back. 👋🏻

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Agree, good to see @Elite_pie back

In tandem with his choice of Crowley as man of the match.

Some general thoughts that when playing out from the back, we still miss making easy passes to players already in space

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

My man of the match was Crowley as well, I thought he looked really good and took the goal well. Jodie Jones also played very well it’s a shame his goal was classed an og. It was interesting to see Notts playing the long ball a lot rather than playing out from the back.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

Crowley for me as well, I’m actually the opposite to @Chrison this and thought he was better and more involved  in the first half than second!

- 1 off Elite’s scores for Brindley for stopping his covering run and not trying to make a challenge for their first goal.

-1.5 for Rawlo’s part in their first goal and for playing 3 attackers onside for their second.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

mcgoldrick was class, it was him who got us going forward. his smart out lay pass to jodi jones opened up the space for us to pull back level. i think the first half there was not a lot of cohesion. crowley was guilty of playing back too much, or just playing balls forward that nemane was never going to get onto. there was a few good plays, which i give him credit for but i felt he played better in the second half. his crosses were hard to defend and he linked play a lot more wisely. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Stone - 5. Beaten far too easily at his near post for their second. Brindley had quite cleverly limited the strikers choice by position himself across the goal. The only place their striker could go really was near post, he did and stone still couldn't stop it.

Rawlinson - 5. Nothing he could do about the first, but the second was all about him. Either step up in time or don't and follow your man. The worst thing you can do is step up far too late, which is what Rawlo did.

Brindley - 8.5. He was abysmal against Sutton and rubbish against Lincoln. Whatever he put in his Weetabix Saturday morning, it worked. Positional change seemed to suit him much better, which is a little bit strange as he's a right back. 

Cameron - 6.5 - Much improved. 

Nemane - 6 - Can't defend, that pass was a shocker for their first, but he can really attack. 

Crowley - 9 - Technically a joy to watch, but also got stuck in and ratted about, which is great to see. 

Palmer - 6.5 - Less noticeable than usual, but tidy all the same.

Bostock - 8 - Some incredible passes, picks up nice pockets of space at times. Finish was outstanding. 

Jones - 8.5 - Constant threat, ability to beat a man and quality crosses.

Mcgoldrick - 7 - Links play really well. As soon as he went off we surrendered possession as we had no out ball to get us further up the park. Some things he tried didn't quite come off today. 

Langstaff - 6 - quiet day.

Austin - N/A - not sure why we brought him on to play long balls to him and Lansgtaff, it surprisingly didn't work and therefore unfair to rate Austin's performance. 

Scott - N/A

TAR - 6 - Came on to challenge their defence aerially. Did a decent job.

Chicken - 6.5 - Was odd to see us surrendering height by dubbing Rawlo off and Chicksen on, but it worked as they couldn't cut in from their left as often. 

JOB - 6 - steadied the ship, including a classic JOB yellow.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 13/08/2023 at 00:16, Fozzy said:

Crowley for me as well, I’m actually the opposite to @Chrison this and thought he was better and more involved  in the first half than second!

He was more involved, but the issue is he was one of the guilty parties of passing backwards and his contributions did very little in my opinion to get us moving forward. Whereas in the second half, he almost became a mixture of Sam Austin and Matt Palmer. When he did have the ball, he didn't lose it, he attacked open space and looked to whip in difficult crosses to defend. There were a few times when he put Macaulay Langstaff and David McGoldrick through. He just revved up and had a surge about him.

That slow process he had in the first half, it was gone in the second. He played with a lot of urgency.

• Like 1

• Chris unfeatured this topic

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

While watching the match on iFollow, I observed that Dan Crowley didn't have a significant impact in the first half. Although he was involved, his contributions mostly consisted of backward or sideways passes, with only a few skillful deliveries that set Aaron Nemane in motion – although those instances were infrequent. In the initial half, it was Aaron Nemane and David McGoldrick who particularly caught my attention.