Rumours that Palmer is out for the rest of the season

Piethagoram

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I certainly hope that he’s not out for the rest of the season that would be a devastating blow if true.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I hope not, are there options for emergency transfers / loans given that we may start to run out of players?  Also, the above twit only says he injured, is the 'rest of the season' part somewhere else?

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

It would be an absolute hammer blow and we would have to revise our expectations downwards if true. I'm hoping it's just gossip and nothing more.

I could imagine Cameron stepping into midfield, but that would leave us thin at the back. When is Bostock coming back?

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

3 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

@Ohh Tommy Johnson "The rest of the season" here say comes from a trusted source

Now now @Piethagoram, we both follow the source of this on Twitter so can be pretty certain it isn’t a rumour.
He needs an Op and may be out for the rest of the season so can take it as a given that we won’t be seeing him again for a substantial period of time. 

I thought it looked bad at the time the way he pulled up, but did not expect this news as it is pretty devastating.

I think we have around 11 league games until the January window opens, so would expect us to fall off the leaders a bit until then unless we change formation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

That sounds like very bad news @Fozzy. In that case, the lack of news is probably due to uncertainty about the outcome of his operation. Hope he has a speedy recovery. 

Hoopefully Bostock will be back for the Crewe game at least. Apparently Crowley has also played in that position in the past. Of course we've got Jimbo, but he rarely plays for 90 minutes nowadays. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Someone posted this anonymously in the PON Facebook group, it caused quite a stir. I don't know, people do tend to say things they hear via the grapevine and interpret it as the truth. I will try to speak with Matt directly, although I will add I won't be spreading misinformation or anything from what he might say.

I am sure David Jackson or whoever handles the BBC's post-match questions will put this forward.

We don't have a weak squad, I don't think it is as worrying as people are suggesting. It's natural to overthink things, whilst it will be difficult if Matt Palmer is injured. We have the ability to navigate through it, it will take people to step up and for us to continue to give our fullest support. I understand that worry does tend to take over, as of course we have had years of disappointment but look, usually losing games would see us plummeting down the league table. We win, hit a few snags and so far haven't lost a lot of ground. Why should we worry about unknowns? Let's show some strength and determination.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I’ll be gutted if he’s out for the season. Nothing mentioned in the press conference for the weekend so if he’s not in the squad this weekend that’ll pretty much confirm it, the only mystery would be the severity of the injury.

Sounds like we'll have bit of makeshift midfield this weekend then. Hopefully Bostock is back for Crewe because his and Palmer’s ability to retain the ball is something we’ll miss hugely. I don’t think anyone else in the squad can do what they do.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  502

Surely if he's not in the squad for the weekend it just means he isn't in the team for an FA Cup game that we may or may not be taking seriously.  I think the Crewe game will be more telling, but even then it only means that the injury isn't totally trivial.  Bostock has been out for 4 or 5 weeks, there is nothing to suggest Palmer would not be similar.  The fact is, until someone says what the injury is and how bad it is, we won't know.  I think the only one we have been given any idea on is Bajrami, even Scott is out for the rather vague 'foreseeable future'.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Confirmed now. Not got much luck with injuries this season... 😩

• Sad 5

Confirmed now then. It's a huge blow as he makes the whole team tick. Hope he has a speedy recovery, he's been so reliable for us and really didn't deserve this :(

It's good to hear that the club is looking at free agents, but realistically anyone who is still without a club in November will be seriously ring rusty and probably not ready to come in straight away. It looks like an improvised midfield against Crawley then, but hopefully Bostock will be back after that to soften the blow a bit.

I echo @Chris's thoughts about the squad, we had four players competing for two spots in the team, and two are now ruled out for the season (including one who had a spotless injury record). That's just hugely unlucky and anyone would struggle in that situation. Time for the team to step up and show what they can really do!

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I was going to says it’s the worst possible news but in view of the tragic news about the Nottingham Panthers player losing his life I guess that comment would be inappropriate. I’m sure Matty will bounce back next season and it will be like a new signing.

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

The loss of Matt Palmer is a big blow, but I believe we have players waiting in the wings who can cover and allow the club to reflect on the situation come January. Even without the injuries we have, every spell is going to be tough and its for everyone to make things work. I don't focus or pay attention to rumours, even if they do come with the best of intentions. This being shown to be true, doesn't mean much but people should remember that the information will come from third parties.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  0

The absence of Matt Palmer will be keenly felt, which is why we could have benefited from someone like Frank Vincent or Regan Booty. We need capable individuals who can step in and provide adequate cover. I’m confident that someone else will rise to the occasion, so I’m not overly concerned. I hope that Palmer will make a strong comeback, unaffected by his injuries.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138

The setback is manageable, we possess the necessary depth and our players have demonstrated their ability to adapt to different roles. I don’t believe Matt Palmer is replaceable, he’s crucial and it seems wasteful to sign a substitute unless we can acquire someone equally adaptable. If feasible, this would be the ideal solution. Otherwise, perhaps Ollie Tiptop could take on the role if no other senior player can step in. We don’t need to worry just yet.

• Like 2