• Yes change to Tony
    • No stay as Tony Hateley
    • Don't care either way

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Since the real Tony Hateley has sadly passed away I am feeling a bit uncomfortable with my username. The reason I chose it was because he was my all time favourite player. I wondered what you good folk thought, is it in bad taste to use his name now?

If I do change I thought as most folk know me as Tony I would probably just use that as my username.

I would appreciate if you took time to vote in the poll and put any comments in this thread, thank you.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Difficult one tbh. I don't think it is in bad taste. Any Notts fan worth their salt should know who TH was, regardless of which period they supported the club. He was before my time, but the stories from my Dad about his dominance in the box means I have a natural admiration for the man.

I think you're stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Don't be so draft!

He's a player who meant a lot to you, so ultimately it's your choice. Nobody here should tell you to change the username, because it's that. You've never claimed to be him, his daughter felt very honoured that someone thought that much of him. I am sure she wouldn't want you to change, your username can continue to show the importance of such a player and be a fitting tribute to him.

If you decide to change your username, I'll respect that because it's your decision but until then. I honestly feel you should keep it, just because some sadly passes away doesn't change anything.

• Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

Difficult one tbh. I don't think it is in bad taste. Any Notts fan worth their salt should know who TH was, regardless of which period they supported the club. He was before my time, but the stories from my Dad about his dominance in the box means I have a natural admiration for the man.

I think you're stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

its something he needs to be happy about, its a difficult decision tho.

Don't be so draft!

He's a player who meant a lot to you, so ultimately it's your choice. Nobody here should tell you to change the username, because it's that. You've never claimed to be him, his daughter felt very honoured that someone thought that much of him. I am sure she wouldn't want you to change, your username can continue to show the importance of such a player and be a fitting tribute to him.

If you decide to change your username, I'll respect that because it's your decision but until then. I honestly feel you should keep it, just because some sadly passes away doesn't change anything.

what joe said!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

I'd say that it's one of those delicate issues but it is really up to you.

There is a certain rawness at the moment and it might seem a tad odd, but that will fade with the passage of time. I'd probably just add something like "No:1", "II" or something like that if it were me. Genuinely don't think anyone will be offended either way tbh.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I understand your feelings @tonyhateley but he is still your all time favourite player and you originally chose his name out of respect and admiration.All the above comments are valid and it's ultimately up to you but I personally think it very appropriate that a Notts legend's name is perpetuated here by our own legend.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743

You chose tonyhately as your username because he was your favourite player and you are proud to be associated with him by doing this.I'm sure Tony Hateley would be pleased to have his name remembered in this way.

• Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

You will still feel the same way about him and he will still be your favourite player, I do understand how you feel and the decision is yours. I would keep it how it is myself.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  1

Defo keep it! You chose it out of respect for the guy so keep it going :-) never saw him play but my dad says he was brilliant! Did see his son play at Monaco in the late 80s which was a good experience.

It's up to you @tonyhateley but I think the answer to your question is more than apparent judging by the overwhelming majority response. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Keep as is please. 

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Thanks for all the feedback you have helped to make my mind up, I will stick with my current username now I know that it isn't offending anyone.

I have changed my twitter account name though I am now FanofBigTone@FanofBigTone, not that I use twitter much, I do check on the players accounts now and again to see what they are tweeting but don't tweet much myself, I'd rather come on here.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I am glad, it would be shame but I obviously would of respected your decision either way.

I'm pleased you've decided to carry with your own tribute to a great Notts legend. :thumbsup:

• Content Count:  2,743

I'm glad both Tonys will continue to feature prominently on here.

Archived