Match Discussion: Game 42 - The Dons (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,277
  • Days Won:  80

Game 42 - The Dons (H)

Team: Milton Keynes Dons

Date: 01/04/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,145
  • Days Won:  17

It all Depends how the Magpies fair at Swindon. However even if Notts do manage to grab all three points against the Robins, I think it will take a Huge Effort to get any sort of result versus MK Dons. Notts 0-3 MK Dons. Always Happy to be Proven Wrong.

• Sad 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Maynard got the team selection wrong against Swindon in my opinion.

For the match against Wimbledon, Jatta must be the first name on the team sheet replacing Didzy.. Ashley-Hamnond has to replace Slocombe in goal and Warner & O'Brien have to play if fit, replacing Baldwin & Bostock respectfully.

Key areas, we all know what they are by now. Cut out the silly mistakes please. Stop trying to play it out from the back 100% of the time, mix it up for Pete's sake, go long on occasions, get those crosses in for Jatta, use his height and strength to our advantage.

I want to see a willing from the Notts team to fight for every ball, I want to see 110% commitment from the first whistle to the last, I want them all to run their socks off on Monday. If they do all that and still come up short by MK Dons scoring good goals, Notts can still hold their heads high.

If Notts avoid defeat on Monday, I will be happy with that, coupled with a good performance from the lads.

CMON U PIES!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Just a suggestion for @PON_News, we shouldn't be calling this outfit the Dons. Stolen identities shouldn't be acknowledged.

Will we play three or four at the back? Which goalkeeper will win the toss this week? Even when we win a game, the pack is reshuffled for the next one. If you can't tell, I'm feeling a bit sick of it now.

Football has a funny habit of surprising you when the in-form team meets the side that's bottom of the form table. We can only hope that Notts will pull off a surprise on Monday. 

• Like 5

Lets Stop Pretending Notts have Head Coach who hasn't Got a Clue, a Defence who Can't Defend and a Game Plan That Doesn't Work. Need I Go On? It doesn't matter who Maynard Picks it seems the Players don't want to Play for him, so No Matter what the Result is on Monday Maynard Needs To Be Gone by Tuesday Morning. Offer Jim O'Brien the Head Coach job till the end of the season hopefully he'll help  the Players get some of their Dignity back and Start Playing for the Shirt.  The Attendance on Monday will be Interesting and the Atmosphere will BE TOXIC  and If the Owners are at the game maybe they'll understand they've made a Mistake in Hiring a Part Time Head Coach who is Totally Out Of His Depth. That's NOT to say I'm having a Go at the Brothers it's just I hope they realise, in Football you Can't Get Everything Right and Mistakes Will Be Made.

• Sad 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man I get what you are saying.

We are all frustrated and downright concerned about the performances and results, but I'll tell you what, if I was playing for Notts County & I was 40 years younger, I would give my all, play with passion, fight for every ball, run myself to a standstill, and encourage  my teammates to do the same every single game that I started for this club, no matter who was in charge.

If a certain tactic wasn't working, and I were the Captain, I would change things on the pitch myself and encourage others to do the same. 

We know there are going to be changes in the close season, there has to be, everyone knows it and expects it to happen.

We have six games left for Notts to get back some pride and finish on a high, and it's up to the players to take the lead and demonstrate to the fans that they will do all they can and more to get six positive results.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

We’re either getting an Easter miracle of our own or I’ll be watching some poor bloke get crucified…

The maddest thing about all of this is since LW left in those 3 months we’ve picked up 9 points yet somehow, we are only 9 points off the play-offs! It could be 6 if we win against MK! How is that possible given we’ve only picked up 2 wins this year? We should be something like 20 points adrift by now!

I agree with @Robbie pride is all the motivation you should need especially when people are doubting your character and ability, you should want to show the fans you care and whilst I don’t think lack of effort has ever been the criticism given the results have been so poor we are desperately need a performance to be proud of on Monday.

• Like 6

Robbie

It's a Shame you're Not 40 years younger and the Captain of the Magpies, reading your comment shows what is lacking at the Lane at the moment. Every Player should look at himself in the Mirror and ask am I doing the Best I can? Because after all those players owe their livelihood to us the Fans and as you say they should  leave everything on the Pitch, and if Notts go down at least they should go down fighting. But having No Leadership on the Pitch and a Dithering Head Coach who makes  strange team selections and subs his Top Players and then states the Team played well in after match interviews well it would appear All Hope Is Lost. Notts are Crying Out for a Manager (Not Head Coach) who will grab the Squad by the throat shaking it and Tell Players If They Don't Buck Their Ideas UP then they wont be playing the following Saturday. I Will Admit it's to late for this season, but Next is a whole New Ball Game. (Pun Intended). The Manager and Captain should work together, the Manager tells the team how he wants the team to play and the Captain enforces his plan on the Pitch, but is also allowed to change things around if he feels certain parts of a Game Plan isn't Working.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Reading your last paragraph could be the basis of a good topic of discussion for later. How tactics, shape & style in the game has changed over the last 20 years.

One thing is quite clear to me, if our goalie punted the ball up field 90% of the time to a tall strong centre forward to either head on or hold the ball up to keep possession, like they did in the past, Notts wouldn't have made all those costly errors in defence.

Now it's all about playing the continental way of playing out from the back 100% of the time.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

luca ashley hamnond is not the answer, he is not ready and generally shows poor positioning. yes, he is better with his feet but even his distribution leaves questions. there have been several games where he has shown his inexperience by just kicking the ball out when having a paddy that he does not know where to kick the ball. if nobody comes forward for it, boot the ball up field and not for the closest throw in possible.

sam slocombe has been generally good since coming back, but the ball to his feet is not something that suites him well and we should avoid trying this if he is selected. its all about right the timing. if we want to lose the experience he brings and go for better feet, aidan stone is just fine but he lacks the confidence to seeout clean sheets. besdies, i think we are better choosing a keeper and sticking with them, much like the defence.

the main thing is making the most of having the ball, we cant just sit on high percentages and knock it around at the back.

at some stage the defence must realise they are better working the ball into an area where someone can continue to take it further and the midfield needs to run with that. if we lose the ball, just try to regain it asap or block it. provided we learn to defend our own net better, the more likely we will be to get some good results. it wont happen like a miracle at this stage tho.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@liampie I agree that Ashby-Hammond isn't the long term answer, nor is Slocombe or Stone, but Ashby-Hammond is the better of the three. I'd retain Brooks and sign another goalie for next season.

And Macari is the only defence man, of the ones we have, that I want to see in the side next season, unless they can prove me wrong in these last 6 games.

• Like 2

Give the Youngsters A Go at least they'll be more enthusiastic than some of the Present Team Members, they'll want to go out and Prove a Point and make an impression along with Playing For The Shirt.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

The present first team squad all have a point to prove. Some of them will be playing for their professional futures.

If that isn't an excuse to play with enthusiasm, I don't know what is.

• Like 2

And Yet Robbie watching them you'd think they didn't care because they seem to think their Two Year Contracts will keep them Safe and  at the Lane for the foreseeable Future. What they Need to Know is just Because they signed a New Contract it doesn't Guarantee them their Future is with Notts.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man 

I know. It's not a good situation.

We don't know what are written into contracts nowadays, it does seem that players are protected somewhat, however, I would  have thought that there has to be a performance element written into players contracts, as it should be for a Head Coach too. 

All work contracts have a performance element written into them, so players contracts shouldn't be any different surely.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Let’s hope today will be the day the players realise they’ve got to put a shift in and bust a gut to get three points, I really hope the atmosphere doesn’t get too toxic if we lose, some people just seem to get so het up about a game, it’s not more important than life or death despite what Bill Shankly said. 

Whatever happens this season we are not going down and if we do lose every game from now to the end of the season, there will be far more important things going on in the world to worry about so let’s get some perspective.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

You would expect a response from the players today. Friday was the low point of the season so far. MK Dons are pushing for automatic promotion but have been inconsistent of late. They lost their 2 previous away games. 1-0 to Grimsby. 5-0 to Stockport. The atmosphere today could turn toxic very quickly. You'd be hoping for an early goal and a positive atmosphere. 

• Like 2

Supporter+

Four changes to the side that lost at Swindon.

Great news. Cedwyn Scott on the bench for Notts.

So pleased that Jatta is in for Didzy.

Hopefully Jodi will play second half 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

This will be a very interesting match. Hopefully we can surprise. Strong bench which will be very useful.

COYP!

• Like 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

5 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Let’s hope today will be the day the players realise they’ve got to put a shift in and bust a gut to get three points, I really hope the atmosphere doesn’t get too toxic if we lose, some people just seem to get so het up about a game, it’s not more important than life or death despite what Bill Shankly said. 

Whatever happens this season we are not going down and if we do lose every game from now to the end of the season, there will be far more important things going on in the world to worry about so let’s get some perspective.

It would be very nice if there is encouragement from a certain section of fans rather than criticism after the first error.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Goal to MK Dons on 18 minutes.

Notts 0 MK Dons 1 Can't do much about that goal. 

Supporter+

We are level. Austin with the goal.

We are deservedly on terms at the break.

We've dominated and Langstaff has hit the bar.

Jatta had an early chance but the first half performance has been great 

Keep it up. CMON U PIES.

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
59 minutes ago, super_ram said:

It would be very nice if there is encouragement from a certain section of fans rather than criticism after the first error.

The fans have been great so far even when we went behind. Notts are playing well I hope we can keep up the momentum and go on to record an important win.

Supporter+

Jatta puts us ahead early in the second half