Goodbye Jim?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

It would seem that Jim O'Brien has played his Last Game for Notts down the Lane. At 36 it seems Jim as decided to hang up his Boots. Ever since the guy walked through the door at Notts he's given his all and fought like a Warrior and played his part in getting the Magpies back into the Football League. He's spilt blood for the Club remember the Horrific gash he got on his Leg? When a an opposing players studs ripped open a wound on his leg. Remember how he stood up for his fellow players against  Alan Hardy and his non payment of wages?  Fans and fellow Players and the Managers he's played under since his arrival in 2019 owe the Guy a Massive Thankyou. I would ask Chris and Alex find a position within the Club for this Notts Legend to continue his huge positive influence at the Lane.

I thought after Notts Wembley Victory Jim may have decided to hang up his boots then, but being the Guy he is he's stayed on and helped the Magpies secure and consolidate their place in League 2. Jim you're a Hero and a Notts Legend.             JIM O'BRIEN HE'S ONE OF OUR OWN.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I remember watching him on his debut, pointing, organising and looking like the only one who cared. He didn't deserve relegation.

As the only member of that team who stuck with us throughout the National League years and helped restore our League status, he has a special place in the hearts of Notts fans. I'd love him to stay, but he's an academy coach at Sheffield United so he has an iron in the fire there too.

• Like 4

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

He will be a big loss to Notts on the field if he does hang up his boots.

He is just the sort of player that Notts need for next season, a leader, someone with character, passion, isn't scared to challenge or tackle, and someone who can run all day & can lead by example.

I know that testimonials aren't the modern way, but if anyone ever deserved one, it is Jim.

I do hope they retain him as an assistant coach or even as a player coach because Jim would be a great teacher on the field as well as off.

I think that Jim will have a career in football after playing. I'm sure he has management potential, and will manage his own club one day.

But I still think he's worth another one year playing contract.

• Like 3

Ohh Tommy Jim has said on  a Social Media Post Well this looks like it. Thankyou and Goodbye. (Source  Football League World) So that sort of gives the hint Jim's footballing career is Finished at the Lane. Plus his Standing Ovation at the Lane last Saturday, it would seem all that's left is confirmation from the Club.

Robbie at 36 Jim is considered Old from a Footballing pointing of view and I don't think hanging on for another year at Notts only playing the Odd game or Odd minutes here and there is the way Jim will be wanted to remembered. He did his bit against Colchester and was awarded the Man of the Match for his Warrior type play, it's Hard for anyone to say that's it But let's remember Jim as a Battler rather than someone who just mooches around the Lane hoping to get a game now and again. Like I've said Jim needs to be kept at the Lane in some sort of position and I totally agree with you he'll end up in the Big Chair one day, in Charge of his own Team.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I sincerely hope that if Jim does hang his boots up he should be offered a position at the club, he’s been a great servant for many years and embodies everything us fans want to see in a player, passion, pride, hard work, loyalty, leadership.

• Like 3

You Ain't Wrong Fan of Big Tone. The word Legend is banded about a little to Freely nowadays, but in Jim's case it certainly is Appropriate. 

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I agree that he may not play on as a player just as a player, however when a player of his age is coming to the end of his playing career, there are some in his position, who want to take up full time coaching / management stay on as an assistant coach to get coaching qualifications and retain their player registration just Incase.

I think Notts should offer him a coaching role to help either in the academy up to senior level.

We'll have to see what happens.

• Like 2

Robbie

Before the arrival of Stuart Maynard Jim as we know was in charge for the one game which ended in a 5 all draw. And in  one of his pre match interviews he told of all the players calling him Gaffer which shows the type of Respect Jim as from his fellow players. It certainly would have been Interesting to say the least if Jim had been offered the Head Coaches Job till the end of the season. Would the Magpies final League position have been higher than their current position? We'll Never Know. One comment which made me smile when Jim was appointed Head Coach was Hire Jim he'll get the JOB Done. Very Clever that. Lets just hope the Club offers him a coaching position and Jim accepts it.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

You know what, it may have been a smart move to let Jim stay as caretaker manager at least for another nine games to see if Notts could get some results in the bag.

Notts would still have had another ten game left if they decided to appoint a Head Coach at that point, after giving Jim ten games to maintain a playoff place 

The only thing we have to remember is that Luke took all his coaching team with him and it's not just the Head Coach but also his coaching team take the load off the Head Coach when he has to do other things.

Other than that, I'm sure Jim could have done a good job for a while..

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

It’s a tough decision to make, he obviously loves playing but at the same time you must want to finish with a good season performance wise. There’d be nothing worse than finishing with a string of performances where you look past it.

Would the club offer him a coaching role? We have Stuart Maynard, Matt Saunders, Craig Saunders, Joao Alves and Tom Weal (set-pieces?). That would give us 6 coaches and for a L2 club that seems like a lot. I think someone would have to leave to free up a space.

And I’m still thinking about the recent interview with RM and him talking about the academy and wanting to see the progression there. It’s way more of a gamble but giving someone like James Sanderson a chance, over an experienced pro here has to be way more beneficial in the long-term.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 3

Going over some of Jim's past remarks there could be a position within the Club for him perhaps in the Academy? In one interview Jim said that he's changed his attitude towards some young players instead of screaming at them he puts his arm around the players shoulder and gets the way he wants them to play in a more calmer way.  There are No doubt certain players understand things better if they're put to them in a forceful way while others need to be coaxed. Man Management Skills. I think Jim learned a lot from Luke Williams when he was at the Lane and what is the Best way to encourage players to play a certain way. Because when Jim took over the Head Coach job he assured the Media that Nothing had changed and the day to day training programmes remained the same, and in his interviews several times Williams stated he had Great Admiration and Respect for Jim and stated he was a Big Help in the Dressing room. The only Black Cloud on the Horizon, is the fact Jim is already coaching in some capacity at Sheffield United and as been for a while so could Jim end up with the Blades rather than at the Lane?

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Just remember that the Football League World are well known for making trashy articles and stories to make people click, just for views and ad revenue.

I have a feeling Jim will remain as a coach if the club can work out that agreement, I know he has been working with Sheffield Uniteds setup and whilst they're a much bigger club - I would like to think we offer him security in terms of establishing his coaching career further. Besides, I wouldn't be against seeing him play one more season. He's a far better asset than Michael Doyle and has proven he's still worth a place in the squad.

Obviously, it's down to him, but his wages are rumoured to be reasonable, and I think he would be good to still have around the squad. He takes his chances to play, so I don't see why another season would be beyond that. Player/coach would be a great thing for us.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

While I Know Football League World is classed as Gutter Press. There was a photo of Jim's statement from his Social Media Page, which read Well this Looks like It. Thankyou and Goodbye. I think that Jim will call it  Quits and step away from playing altogether, there's No Point in thinking Well maybe One more Season, taking that sort of attitude will only give the impression of  indecision and that in my opinion isn't Jim's way.

Chris I'm also hopeful as you have stated Notts offer Jim more that Sheffield United Do in terms of Coaching advancement, he has Immense respect from the players  which I am sure Jim returns that respect and who's Not to Say one day he could end up Managing the Magpies?

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
  • Like 1

• Content Count:  8,985
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Wheelbarrow repair man "Because when Jim took over the Head Coach job he assured the Media that Nothing had changed"... like conceding 5 goals at Grimsby :rollonfloorlaughing:..sorry Wheelbarrow, in jest

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

good bye for now jim, i hope at some point you will return as a coach or even as an assistant/head coach one day. you have the right mentality to do well in the role.

• Like 2