A Confession

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I have a confession to make and I hope it doesn't make you think any worse of me, I promise I have changed my ways and will never stray again.

In 1959 at the age of 7 my dad took me to see the FA Cup winners (Fword) as they drove down Arkwright Street towards the city centre on an open bus showing off the cup. I remember it vividly I sat on my Dad's shoulders and I clapped and cheered. I don't know why my Dad took me as he wasn't the slightest bit interested in football!

I have had to live with this memory for 54 years and felt it is time to unburden myself in the hope that I can achieve peace of mind at last.

I prostrate myself before you and beg forgiveness.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Oh dear @tonyhateley,but you were only 7 and as your dad had no interest in football ,and therefore wouldn't know any better ,I think we can let you off with a warning,especially as you have learnt the error of your ways.

I had the benefit of football loving relatives to point  me in the right direction when I stupidly said that I favoured the more local side to the London side. in the cup final.My Uncle Stan(Rams fan) said he'd never take me to see the Rams again.Talk about being ostracised!

Supporter+

Thats a points deduction and a fine in the prediction league ;)

You seem to deduct points off me every week anyway @weymouthPIE :biggrin:

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have a confession to make and I hope it doesn't make you think any worse of me, I promise I have changed my ways and will never stray again.

In 1959 at the age of 7 my dad took me to see the FA Cup winners (Fword) as they drove down Arkwright Street towards the city centre on an open bus showing off the cup. I remember it vividly I sat on my Dad's shoulders and I clapped and cheered. I don't know why my Dad took me as he wasn't the slightest bit interested in football!

I have had to live with this memory for 54 years and felt it is time to unburden myself in the hope that I can achieve peace of mind at last.

I prostrate myself before you and beg forgiveness.

Did you blog about this? I've read it before (not being picky).

I've been to the City Ground numerous times, my old work place used to be their match sponsor and I often was asked if I wanted to go with a red dog friend. It's different and I learned that the majority of fans are like us (even friendly towards Notts). It's just the 'loud' one's or people who like winding others up.

No need for forgiveness haha! You're here now and getting young George involved! I have a badge I'd like to give him sometime, if that's okay.

NEVER do it again though. ;)

Supporter+

I've been to the City Ground numerous times, my old work place used to be their match sponsor and I often was asked if I wanted to go with a red dog friend. It's different and I learned that the majority of fans are like us (even friendly towards Notts). It's just the 'loud' one's or people who like winding others up.

No need for forgiveness haha! You're here now and getting young George involved! I have a badge I'd like to give him sometime, if that's okay.

I may well have blogged about it Joe, you know what my memory is like.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I'm very proud to say I'm clean and have never been poisoned by the colour RED. I don't think i can look you the same way Tony ;) 

Forgiven Not Forgotten 

• Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

some of my forest friends suggest going but none are open to coming to ml, so i dont bother.

why did you do a silly thing like that @tonyhateley :)

Supporter+

some of my forest friends suggest going but none are open to coming to ml, so i dont bother.

why did you do a silly thing like that @tonyhateley :)

My defence is that I was young and impressionable. :angel:

My defence is that I was young and impressionable. :angel:

That was my excuse, on the plus side it did help Notts because on our home games my friend would come.

I love roping people into coming to Notts games.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,902
  • Days Won:  17

You're not the only one Tony, I was 3 in 1959 and mum put red n white ribbons in my hair and took me into Nottingham to see that. Never again!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  11

3 Hail Mary's will suffice.

Supporter+

You're not the only one Tony, I was 3 in 1959 and mum put red n white ribbons in my hair and took me into Nottingham to see that. Never again!

R*d and white ribbons?? It's a wonder you haven't been scarred for life @magpiejue :biggrin:

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I may well have blogged about it Joe, you know what my memory is like.

In the old post you made about that lot  winning the cup I made a comment about my dad taking me to a midweek game at  the donkey sanctuary.It was a few weeks before the final and against Aston Villa.I was expecting a match played at the top level(Rams were in the old 2nd division at the time) but ended up being bored to death.That was enough to put me off.Never again.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I'm sure you can be let off this time Tony.

When i was a kid(not sure what age) my auntie took me to see the f word and i wasn't even into football. Lets just say it put me off football and i never went again until Joe took me and the kids to a notts match years ago. I do enjoy going to those matches though... which says something lol :)

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

Dude I was there too I'd be about 4 1/2 years old. I was at a nursery school on Kirkby st. The teachers took the whole school out to see the "spectacle" and even gave some kids red and white pompoms (not me fortunately) to wave at a bunch of strange but famous men in a bus. It was Years before I figured out what was so special about that bunch of guys driving by in a bus.

Supporter+

Dude I was there too I'd be about 4 1/2 years old. I was at a nursery school on Kirkby st. The teachers took the whole school out to see the "spectacle" and even gave some kids red and white pompoms (not me fortunately) to wave at a bunch of strange but famous men in a bus. It was Years before I figured out what was so special about that bunch of guys driving by in a bus.

Hi @tucsonan did you go to Arkwright Junior school on London Road?

Hi @tucsonan did you go to Arkwright Junior school on London Road?

Hi Tone, yes I went to Arkwright junior, I then had an undistinguished 5 years at Mundella. I was a Meadows lad.

Supporter+

Hi Tone, yes I went to Arkwright junior, I then had an undistinguished 5 years at Mundella. I was a Meadows lad.

I also went to Arkwright Junior but you must have been more intelligent, I ended up at Greenwood Bilateral in Sneinton, my brother went to Mundella though, so there are some brains in the family. I'm a Meadows lad too, born on Meadow Lane. See my blogs.

http://prideofnottingham.co.uk/community/blog/5/entry-45-blog-1-growing-up-on-grainger-street-off-meadow-lane/

Hey Tone, did you used to work on the cattle market on a Saturday, I used to in order to make some cash to go and watch Notts. I know that most of the other kids were from your neck of the woods. I lived on the other side of London road.

Supporter+

Hey Tone, did you used to work on the cattle market on a Saturday, I used to in order to make some cash to go and watch Notts. I know that most of the other kids were from your neck of the woods. I lived on the other side of London road.

No I didn't but I remember going to see the auctioneer selling the cattle and sheep, it fascinated me how fast they talked.

I also remember a bull escaping and charging down Meadow Lane, I think they had to shoot it.

Time for my confession, I have a sister who's a florest fan. When she split up with her then boyfriend also a red dog I got the job of taking her to the temple of sin. In the trent end no less. Mother would not under any circumstances let her go by herself. It took my sister about 3 seasons before she got herself a boyfriend who was a red dog.

Forgive me fellow magpies for I did sin, it was a laugh tho, we would start off in the old corner pin with some mates and get proper drunk (sister Jayne buying mine) then catch the special bus outside Boots straight to the ground. If the game got boring my mates would announce that I was a Notts fan. On those occaisons I would go home stiff and sore from the sympathetic slaps on the back I recieved from all the red dogs.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I don't wish to impune your good father Tony, but surely that constitutes child abuse?

I don't wish to impune your good father Tony, but surely that constitutes child abuse?

That's one reason why I'm glad Super never took me to the rams, they can have my brother. LOL

Archived