Can Stuart Maynard Cope?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,310
  • Days Won:  17

With the signing of New Players the Opening of the Nest, the construction of a New Pitch things are in Full Flow down the Lane, in readiness for the Start of the New Season. With all this Going On it seems the Notts Head Coach has sort of  Faded into the Background. Yes he's spoken about New Players and the appointment of Macca as the Magpies New Captain. But what about the Man himself, nobody has sat down with him and asked what kind of pressure he's feeling going into the New Season after all his current Results Record is Very Poor. How difficult as it been adjusting to becoming a Full Time Coach and how hard was it stepping into Luke Williams shoes, after what he achieved at Meadow Lane?

How does he feel about some Fans wanting the Owners to get Rid of Him? Does he think he would have Benefitted from having a Experienced Director of Football  with Footballing Knowledge helping him to learn how to better Man Mange Players.? He is Still on a Massive Learning Curve and if the Magpies don't get off to a Decent Start as the Season Opens and Pressure Mounts. Can Stuart Maynard Cope ?

• Sad 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

At this point, I believe we need to put aside the previous season and his current record. Taking over was a challenging task, and the more pressure he faces, the less he can concentrate on achieving the results needed to satisfy people. It’s a cycle that seems to keep going round. I’m certain he feels the weight of not receiving support and the desire to leave the club. If he can start the season well and fans can tolerate a few setbacks when they happen, I say give him a chance. The Reedtz decided he was the right person for the job. I respect their decision and hope it works out. If we rally behind him, he’ll manage much better than with a divided support group.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,396
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I don't think that Stuart Maynard has "faded into the background"

I am sure Stuart has taken a holiday with his family, but as we all know, discussions have been taking place between the coaching teams and management about new players and their plans for next season.

Stuart and his coaching team can take a large part of the credit for the addition of these two new defenders for starters.

Stuart has already talked about how he felt when he joined the club and the dissapointing results that followed.

It's time to put all that behind us now and look forward to what's going to be an exciting season.

Stuart has the confidence of the owners and I don't think that the owners are planning to appoint a director of Football. I am happy with Stuart Maynard and so are the club.

Continued talk about Neil Warnock returning is pie in the sky. Neil's footballing philosophy is not the same as what the owners want at Notts. Any possible Director of Football would have to believe in the type of football that the Club believes in. 

We all need to get behind the Owners, Stuart Maynard and the players for what promises to be an exciting time to be a Notts supporter.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't think a director of football, or technical director, would be a useful thing.

I believe it's important for Stuart Maynard to be given time to settle; the difficult period must have been a useful experience for him to learn from. If we start going over his head and treating him like he can't do the job, I think that would just be a further hindrance to him. It might also weaken his support from fans and make it difficult to find a suitable replacement if the worst was to happen, and he did end up being given the axe.

We can't throw money around, I just feel we need to improve the squad and hopefully a bit of luck will see his hard work pay off.

The club could try to offload pressure, but it's usually that pressure which makes someone sink or float. If Maynard is the right man, I am sure with an improved defence the results will be better. I think the biggest focus is having a clear plan for our ambitions. If we are trying to stabilise ourselves in the EFL, whilst 'trying' for promotion. Then we need to be mindful of that. If the club is seeking promotion, then that puts a difference stance on things if Maynard struggles again this season.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

@CliftonMagpie that's just the point there are Fans who will Not put aside last season or his current Record. That is something Stuart is having to live with, win a few Matches and your the Greatest thing since Sliced Bread, lose a couple and some Fans will be Braying for his Head, that's just the way Football and Fickle fans are. My point is Do Notts Fans  Believe that Stuart has the Character to over come the Pressure? Despite his poor Results Record there were a Few Highlights, away victories at Newport and Bradford come to mind. I think an in depth interview with the Gaffer ( with him answering even difficult questions) would give Fans  an insight into Stuart's Character and what makes him tick.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@Robbie

Ok you say SM hasn't faded into the Background that may have been the wrong wording, but he certainly hasn't been really forthcoming chatting with Media, wouldn't you say a More Upfront Coach would inspire the fans to be more confident in the Team's approach to the New Season? Stuart's Man Management skills are not the Best and as yet he's failed to form a Bond with the Magpies faithful. To me Stuart doesn't come across as Confident Enough, hence the Question I asked in this Topic's title.

Appointing Neil Warnock as Director of Football as never really been a thing, it's just my opinion. It's never been discussed in the Media  and me mentioning him hasn't caused any problems for the Head Coach. I'll admit I am a huge Fan of Neil Warnock and I believe his experience could have helped Maynard on his coaching journey Pie in the Sky or Not, and don't you think a Man of Warnock's Pedigree could easily adapt to the Notts County "Model"? 

And People saying we should get behind the Head Coach and Players, of course that is a foregone Conclusion, but for every Fan who holds that view there is another who will hold a different one. And Thankfully which ever camp your in you can safely express your opinion on the PON Website.

• Like 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Some fans are so fickle. As an interested outsider I feel a lot of sympathy for Stuart Maynard. He arrived at Notts to replace Luke Williams who was, quite rightly, highly revered by most Notts fans for returning their team back to the EFL. When Luke left, in January, Notts had conceded 49 goals while scoring 55(first 4 months of season),The long and short term injury list hadn't helped Luke either. Notts mostly got away with the defensive errors the previous season by outscoring the opposition but ended up being outscored themselves last season. The critics seem to conveniently forget the situation that Stuart inherited. He came as head coach on 18th of January. How much input would he have had as head coach during the two weeks the transfer  window remained open and he not being familiar with the players. True, the results under Stuart weren't inspiring but there's only so much he could do with the same players and injuries that Luke had had to contend with. Stuart doesn't come over in interviews in the same way that Luke did but that doesn't  mean he doesn't care or have the same passion, just a different personality. I have no idea how Notts will fare this coming season(still more incoming and possibly outgoing transfers) but I do know that sniping at the manager serves no purpose at all. The situation can be reviewed as the season progresses but in the mean time just get behind EVERYONE and wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,396
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Of course  @Wheelbarrow repair man 

I think that Notts could improve on their communication sometimes, but that is down to the Club, not Stuart or his backroom staff. 

I agree that there should be more press conferences from the Head Coach during the summer especially when a new player has arrived.

It is great that Notts have their X & Facebook account and communicate through those mediums with the fans, but I think they could communicate more through their U tube account too.

I've said before on other threads that I prefer that there be a Manager of a Football Club that deals with the things a Manager used to do, & have his Coaches, his backroom staff, recruitment staff & scouts answer to him.

And yes, it's great to debate on PON, respecting other opinions, I love it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

3 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

@CliftonMagpie that's just the point there are Fans who will Not put aside last season or his current Record. That is something Stuart is having to live with, win a few Matches and your the Greatest thing since Sliced Bread, lose a couple and some Fans will be Braying for his Head, that's just the way Football and Fickle fans are. My point is Do Notts Fans  Believe that Stuart has the Character to over come the Pressure? Despite his poor Results Record there were a Few Highlights, away victories at Newport and Bradford come to mind. I think an in depth interview with the Gaffer ( with him answering even difficult questions) would give Fans  an insight into Stuart's Character and what makes him tick.

Supporters won’t trust him until they’re proven wrong. Some are never satisfied, and the rest need to take a step back. There’s more to consider than immediate success. I believe it was more crucial for us to navigate through the poor form last season than to achieve promotion to League One and learn nothing from it. If we had struggled, the same fans complaining about Maynard would be demanding that whoever took us up should leave. Football is ruthless enough without that. If Stuart Maynard has any mettle, he’ll prove his critics wrong. It’s up to the club to try to unite the fans and keep them focused on the goal of long-term improvement.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i get that people want to see stuart maynard to succeed and there might still be some here who want him gone. i can accept peoples opinions but part of what made me and others come off for a period was all the hostility towards maynard. the poor guy could not do anything right, the results last season was not all his fault. the players were to blame for making silly mistakes and it was not like he had a transfer window where his input could have help make a difference. if he dont work things out at the start of this season, then i think more may be right to doubt him but until we are at a certain period we need to try supporting our team which includes maynard.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,110
  • Days Won:  54

Stuart Maynard has been coaching (albeit not full-time) since 2012, so he’s hardly a novice and more experienced than a lot of people think. He’ll have experienced the bad times and good ones as he’s been involved in very successful times at Hemel and Wealdstone. I know this is the highest level he’s coached at but keeping Wealdstone a part-time team in a full-time league with probably one of the lowest budgets for two seasons is very impressive. He’s now also had half a season to experience this league and he's said a lot of encouraging things in his interviews about what’s been missing from this squad and what we need to improve.

I think we have to trust the owners and board too, I don’t think they would’ve appointed him if they had any doubts. And so far they've had a very good record when it comes to head-coaches. When was the last time we had our last two head-coaches poached? I think a lot of fans are still used to the long and old regime of sacking a manager every 3/6/9 months because you lose a few games. That won’t happen now. SM will be given time and help to achieve the clubs goal of continued progression.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,953
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
15 hours ago, menzinho said:

I think a lot of fans are still used to the long and old regime of sacking a manager every 3/6/9 months because you lose a few games. That won’t happen now. SM will be given time and help to achieve the clubs goal of continued progression.

I agree with this, thank goodness we now have owners who can provide stability and give the coach time to get things right, it depresses me when I see that after Notts lose a game immediately the knives come out and people start baying for blood. Our owners will not be swayed by fan opinion and they will do things their way, I trust them to hire and fire when they see fit.

Its a clean sheet this season and fans should get behind the team, the management staff and the owners and let’s see where it takes us.

• Like 1

@Fan of Big Tone

I'm afraid that's how Football is nowadays. Results are the only thing that matter and Coaches who don't deliver straight away will soon find themselves out of a job. You only have to look at Stuart Maynard's successor at Wealdstone.  I'm not sure about the Owners Not Being Swayed by Fans. If results don't go the Magpies way and there is suddenly a Drop from 11,000 to 5or 6,000 fans at Home Games I don't see Stuart Maynard lasting very long. As long as Coach is winning all well and Good but otherwise....

I'm sure a Vast Majority of Notts Fans will be behind SM and the team. So here's to a Good Season, a top half finish and a Run at the Playoffs.

• Like 2