Feedback on the England performance v Denmark

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,489
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

So what do PON members think about the latest performance of England after their latest group game against Denmark.

Are you happy with this team, their shape and the tactics of the Manager?

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
7 minutes ago, Robbie said:

So what do PON members think about the latest performance of England

Am I allowed to swear?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

A masterclass from Denmark in to how to press. We seemed clueless as to how to beat the press. Key position of Trent and Gallagher both found wanting. A fit Matty Palmer would have done a better job

• Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie 

In a Single word NO. Same Old Same Old. A Coach who hasn't Got A Clue, who fails to Inspire his Players or has the ability to change things around. Bellingham was more or less Invisible tonight. Kane got his Goal, but had some luck, the ball came off a couple of Danish Defenders  before it fell to him, but Kudos to the guy for doing his Job and Putting the Ball in the Back of the net.

I Dredd to think what's going to Happen when England face one of  the Big Teams. Just Do Us All A Favour  once this Tournament is over Resign Southgate.

• Like 3

Supporter+

You know that the England performance has been bad when the BBC pundits to a man are absolutely scathing at the performance.

I agree with you @Piethagoram when you say it was a masterclass by Denmark on how to press but England should be good enough to counter it but our defenders got deeper & deeper & our midfield players were obliged to fall back too.

And you are right too @Wheelbarrow repair man when you say it was the same old same old. We've seen it so many times before under Southgate.

Slow pedestrian, short passing from side to side, then backwards, then coming to a standstill. They all looked like they could do with a good night's sleep.

I'm beginning to wonder who runs the England team, Southgate or the players, because at half time under Clough for example, the players would have got the biggest rollicking going. But they came out playing exactly the same.

As I said on the other thread, it is hard for me to think of any other time when I last saw such a poor & lackluster England performance like we saw from this England team tonight.

It just looked to me that they didn't want to be there or they didn't want to play for the coach 

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  145
  • Days Won:  0

At times, Denmark’s pressure made England defend rather than attack. The pitch was in terrible condition, which really should’ve been sorted out before the match. Still, it doesn’t detract from the match itself; England appeared quite anxious throughout. Hats off to the Danish team.

• Like 7

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Agree @Robbie Looked like Notts under Ardley at times. Couldn't cope with the press then the long ball to nowhere

• Like 3

@Robbie

The England Team under  Clough wouldn't have played like that, so there would be know need for a Half Time Rollicking. They would also know Who Was The Boss.

I Think the Players Don't want to play for Southgate, someone who as No Idea, Can Not Inspire or Lead his Team, as All  That Talent at his Finger Tips yet wastes it all. I Don't think his Man Management skills are up to much Either. The Sooner this Uninspiring Coach is fired from his Job and a Leader is put in his place, a Man who has All The Skills which Southgate hasn't got and won't Put up with any C*** from Prima Donna players, then England Might have a Chance of Mixing With and Beating the World's BEST.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I was being a bit sarcastic because as you said, if it was a Clough team there would have been no need for rollicking because they would have known to play Clough's way or the highway.

But it didn't seem that Southgate's team talk at half time, if he did have a team talk,  had any impression on the players at all.

• Like 3

@Robbie

I can Bet Southgate's Half Time Talk would be something like Sargent Wilson in Dad's Army would say.

Alright Chaps do pay attention.  Now I would be awfully grateful if you wouldn't mind raising the tempo up a little during the second half and have a shot or two at the Denmark Goal, that's if it's Not To Much Trouble. Thankyou So Much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

The real challenge isn’t deciding who plays where before the game; Trent Alexander-Arnold in the midfield hasn’t been effective. It was worth a try, but it’s time to move on. The lead-up to the tournament, particularly the final friendlies, should focus on fielding the strongest starting eleven to build familiarity before the tournament, not just for giving fringe players a run-out. They can come on as substitutes. It’s not all down to Gareth Southgate; the players themselves seem lost at times. They must unite and strive for better results.

• Like 5

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Watching Spain v Italy and some of the play I'm seeing tonight.

England have some job on their hands, if they are going to test Germany, Italy, Spain or France with the form England are showing at the moment.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Piethagoram Don't know whether you posted that as a joke but Southgate is no where near being the best England Manager, but that is just my opinion.

I'll give him one compliment, he's the best diplomat that England have had but as for being the best Manager, not in a month of Sundays 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Supporter+

Here is part of Southgate's post match press conference.

As I said, he's a good diplomat but that's all 

He says he will analyse the match and try to find solutions for addressing the issues they have.

We know what the issues are. Their performances over the last two games aren't good enough because the tactics are wrong.

How about cutting out the tippy tappy continental style and go back to the British style, which employs long lofted balls up field and crosses into the middle as opposed to shorter ground passes.

The British style is to get the ball up to the forwards as soon as possible

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We're very predictable, lack confidence and any sort of energy to make runs which splits the opposition wide open. At one point, we were trying to put longer passes through, but in the process they were rushed and resulted in being intercepted.

I think the biggest issue is the way the players knock the ball around, they stay very close to each other and when pressed you have limited options where to pass the ball.

I have said it in other discussions, England needs to play further up and wider. They need to take on players and not be afraid of losing the ball, to some extent it's like watching Notts during the periods we lacked creativity going forward. The players need to focus, Gareth Southgate must make changes for the next game.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

At present, England appears to be a team that slowly builds momentum, relying on things going right to play with confidence. This is surprising given the talent within the squad, but talent alone doesn’t necessarily create a great team. I believe some players are getting caught up in their own hype, yet they fail to perform on the international stage. This leads me to think they are overrated by a significant portion of our fans.

On paper, we should be dominating the group and we certainly have some real talent. It’s hard to understand why this squad wouldn’t be expected to be in contention for the Euros, but their current style of play makes it difficult to see that happening. I don’t think it’s fair to place all the blame on Gareth Southgate. Some are quick to blame the manager at the expense of the players. Once the players step onto the pitch, they should be capable enough to figure out their opposition. Tactics are more of a guideline, so it’s harsh to blame Southgate entirely.

What I would like to see from Southgate is a starting squad where players are playing in their strongest roles. Perhaps someone like Jude Bellingham could drop back and allow someone else to play further up the pitch. Phil Foden might benefit from this switch, but our real strength lies in our wingers. Bukayo Saka seems to focus more on his frustration with being fouled than on getting on with the game. He has the ability to take on players, but so far he has repeatedly made poor decisions when attempting this. He has been very disappointing, as he doesn’t link well with anyone on that side of the pitch. I would be curious to see if he could link up with Trent Alexander Arnold, who our fans seem to be experts on, but who does perform better out wide.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@CliftonMagpie I agree with much of what you have said, however I don't agree regarding Southgate.

Southgate is the Manager, he picks the players, he also has to take responsibility for shape, style, tactics and how the team is playing.

Southgate has had plenty of time to know who is strongest side is, but I don't believe he does know even at this stage of the tournament.

The buck has to stop with the Manager and if he cannot get the performance out of such a talented squad like he has here, then it is very fair for the press and the fans to question his tram selection and tactics.

• Like 2