Turkey's goalkeeper, a Gordon Banks moment

• Piethagoram changed the title to Turkey's goalkeeper, a Gordon Banks moment

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

For me it’s not as good as the Banks save from Pele, I remember watching the game and being astounded, Banks has to go down lower on his save and he literally clawed it over the bar from an impossible position, there was no jumping about celebrating or hugging from his team mates he just got on with it and prepared for the resulting corner.

Of course we didn’t have all the camera angles in those days but this video gives you an idea.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

It was a very Good Save. But Not A Patch on Banks Stop. The Baumgartner Header wasn't as Powerful as Pele's, plus the fact Gordon had to move across his goal and Get Down on to the floor to scoop the Ball Over The Bar.  I Don't Know What a Load Of Hype. 

@Fan of Big Tone It's has you say regarding the aftermath of Gordon's Save there's No Hugging or Posturing from Banks or his team Mates. He just gets on with his Job.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

great save by the turkish keeper, pure adrenaline and ability to make a save like that. its almost panther like movement. i am aware of the gordon banks save, both are excellent saves.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The Gordon Banks save is my favourite moment in goalkeeping turns; it's something I have seen probably a million times. Peter Shilton also had great reflexions, in addition to David Seaman. So it's something I appreciate.

I don't think the camera angel gives the Turkish keeper credit, I would love to see it straight on or from the angle of the save itself.

No doubt, it's a brilliant save to pull off.

@super_ram: What was the keeper who had a nickname featuring a cat called? I think he was around Banks era or before.

• Like 1

@Chris

Peter Bonetti the Chelsea Keeper was Called the Cat. He took over from Gordon Banks in the 1970 World Cup Quarter Final against West Germany in Mexico after Banks was unable to play because of Illness. He also took a lot of stick from the English Press because the Germans beat England 3-2 after being 2-0 down. Is that the Guy you're thinking of?

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Gordon Banks's save is widely regarded as the best ever save and rightly so. Pele thought it was too.

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I can still remember the commentary by David Coleman just before West Germany's 3rd goal against England in 1970.

"England are under terrible pressure. Seeler, a goal"

It was a Uwe Seeler back headed goal that won it for Germany 

• Like 1

@Robbie

Unfortunately I also have a clear memory of that match. In fact I don't think Peter Bonetti ever played for England Again. I know Bobby Charlton said in his Autobiography on the flight back home from Mexico, Alf Ramsey came and sat with him and said Thankyou for all your efforts for England. He said I knew then my England career was over. Another Quote about the same match came from Franz Beckenbauer the German Captain. England were 2-0 at half time and Ramsey took Bobby Charlton off, to rest him for the Semi Final. We couldn't believe it Charlton was running everything in Mid Field and England take their Best Player Off, this gave us the advantage and determination to go on and Win The Match. Which they Did.

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Save of the tournament. It's definitely up there and in the conversation for one of the greatest match saving saves of all time. It's remarkable how some people are now re-analysing it and downplaying just how good the save was in the importance of the occasion. 

As far as comparing it to Gordon Banks v Brazil, I see where people are coming from but wouldn't put it in the same category myself. 

• Like 2

I think who ever wrote the Piece about the Save Got a Wee Bit Over Excited. And I think there are other Saves available to watch on You tube which are as Good. Like it's been Stated it was the headed Save and the Excitement of that the Save which got Turkey through to the next round which  perhaps brought out the Banks comparison. But Really there is No Comparison. Despite an Excellent Stop, it's No where near as Good As The Banks One.

• Like 2