Match Discussion: PSF - The Reds (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

It was a good game, not much else to say really. The positives are that both teams Notts played against seemed balanced. I think the story would have been different if we had played with our first XI, but that’s beside the point. Alfreton did well to take the lead twice, putting Notts on the defensive. Not that Notts didn’t have opportunities, but it’s clear that fitness is an area we need to improve.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I didn’t go to the game but I’ve been reading some comments on social media, either some of them are as thick as two short planks or they are just wind up merchants.

The results of these games don’t matter at all it’s about getting match fit, looking at different players, trying different formations etc., I really had to laugh at some of the criticism after one friendly game.

Thank goodness I can read some sensible comments here.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

1. That rain was biblical. I half expected Noah's Ark to float past based on Dan Westwell's videos.

2. Alfreton have a treasure trove of match programmes and they are just dumped in a room. That makes me depressed. They need to sort them and display them properly. Thanks again to Dan for the photos. 

3. No friendly is meaningless but the real tests are ahead of us. We need a replacement for ML. We have gone from real promotion contenders to borderline promotion contenders. A 15 goal a season striker should see us back in the real contenders for promotion category. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

We already have four strikers on the books, Jatta, Morias, Didzy and Scott. Do we really need another one?

If the Notts defence does it's job this season that could result in 30 to 40 goals less conceded this season, that's more than enough to compensate for losing Macca.

I think we have the firepower to score 75 to 80+ goals with the team we have.

We should get goals from our midfield again, & more goals from our taller defenders from set pieces.

We have 21 in the squad so another four additions would take Notts up to 25 + the under 21s.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

It’s frustrating to see some people already calling for Stuart Maynard’s dismissal over a friendly match. I doubt many of those criticising actually attended the game. Even if they did, I don’t think they understand the purpose of these pre-season games. Worryingly, I suspect they will continue their criticism into the season, regardless of his performance. It’s starting to feel personal, but the friendly was a good exercise for Notts.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I wasn’t able to attend the game, but I followed the updates on the official Notts Twitter account. It seemed like an exciting match. I’m sure there are lessons to be learned from this game, which Stuart Maynard can address. However, a draw in a pre-season friendly isn’t a serious concern.

@Robbie, there’s no harm in trying to bring in a young player who can contribute when needed. If his skills are unique, it gives us an extra option, especially with Macca leaving. This would provide someone else in our current squad the opportunity to step up. These friendlies will be crucial for that. If we perform well, the club won’t need to worry about spending money to bring in a striker. The funds could be used elsewhere.

Does anyone have any news on why Alassana Jatta didn’t play? Was he even there? I don’t think he’ll be the next to leave, I’m just curious.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

It's amazing how there are people commenting on how we're going to finish mid table or lower this season and that the manager will be gone before christmas based on this pre-season friendly. From what I heard of the game, there were a few good signs especially from the trialists as @ARLukomski has highlighted. But what is key to note about this pre-season game is that, it's not just about performance it's about players get match fit and ready for the season ahead. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+
On 10/07/2024 at 11:14, Robbie said:

We already have four strikers on the books, Jatta, Morias, Didzy and Scott. Do we really need another one?

If the Notts defence does it's job this season that could result in 30 to 40 goals less conceded this season, that's more than enough to compensate for losing Macca.

I think we have the firepower to score 75 to 80+ goals with the team we have.

We should get goals from our midfield again, & more goals from our taller defenders from set pieces.

We have 21 in the squad so another four additions would take Notts up to 25 + the under 21s.

It would be a real risk to start the season with that strike force. We should concede less but given the style of play, it probably won't be as many as people think. To give SM a fighting chance, another striker is required, one who'll score on a regular basis. Otherwise I can see a difficult season ahead and SM under pressure from day one.