Netherlands v England: Pre & Post Match Analysis.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Let's see that winning goal once again.

Ollie Watkins, your a gem.

• Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It was a great performance by England, we played without fear and even after conceding to such a spectacular goal. We pushed, controlled, and created numerous opportunities, demonstrating that we clearly outperformed the Netherlands. They tried to counter with their elbows and other sly tactics. It's a shame, because when they didn't - the Netherlands could break looking like they could cause trouble.

The game was very entertaining, with a moment where I was going 'Yes, yes, yes... Shoot'. Alongside @super_ram, doing the opposite 'No, no, no, what are you doing'. As Phil Foden hit the bar.

@super_pie was shell-shocked by all three goals, yet he froze like ours hadn't gone in. 😂

By which point I was already jumping, shouting and celebrating. I think it took Jake back a little just how well we played, but Super also made it enjoyable with his remarks. I am just teasing a little with the Foden incident, but it was funny.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

It was a very good match. The Netherlands only had moments of brilliance and a few opportunities, but they never seemed to pose much of a threat. England stepped up their game and performed exceptionally well. It was a thrilling moment to see Ollie Watkins score the winning goal so late in the game.

I don’t agree with the commentators that the angle was difficult. It was a fantastic shot and an impressive display of skill to control it for the attempt, but once he was clear, you’d expect it to go in.

• Like 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

The game last night was by far England's best performance of the tournament, especially the first half. Dominated the midfield so much so that when Memphis Depay came off Ronald Koeman had to bring on another midfielder to regain some control in there.

Phil Foden looked to be on form last night. He was closing down well, running with the ball well, making spaces for himself to receive a pass and get attacks going. He can feel hard done not to have scored. That little jinking run he had in the box deserved a goal but unfortunately got blocked on the line. His other effort from distance that hit the post was unlucky and would have been deserving of that goal had it gone in.

After a good first half, thought the game was there for the taking. But whatever was said at half time or changed tactically, it hindered our performance. We looked a different side in the second half to what was out first half. We allowed Netherlands to get themselves back in the game, had shades of Croatia in 2018 and Italy in 2021 about it when we were comfortably dominating the game only to allow them a route back into the game with a chance. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

Was it a penalty for Harry Kane? I understand why it was given and there is a case for it. Had it been awarded to the Netherlands of course we'd all be up in arms about it.

Maradona handled it in 86, Beckham shouldn't have seen red in 98, Sol Campbell's goal should have stood in 2004 and Lampard's shot went over the line in 2010. So it was nice for us to get a little bit of luck. Even better when it was against a team led by Koeman. Payback for 1993 when he should have been sent off for the foul on Platt. 

Harry Kane had a better game, still not 100% convinced by him this tournament. The substitutions were, again, late but it proved to be good subs as Palmer linked up with Watkins to grab the winner. Watkins took his chance superbly well, I thought he had gone too wide but he someone managed to bang it in far post.

I'm still not sure why Saka's goal was disallowed, Walker looked level to me on replays would have liked to have seen Var show the Semi automated offside replay of that one to settle it. 

Everything that happened in the game was something all of us England fans have wanted to see. 3 at the back, Mainoo in the midfield, Foden playing as a 10 and Harry Kane off for Watkins. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

They tried to counter with their elbows and other sly tactics. It's a shame, because when they didn't - the Netherlands could break looking like they could cause trouble.

Weghourst should have seen a yellow at least with some of his fouls. There were multiple of them worthy of being booked. But in terms of the Netherlands breaking and looking dangerous, I thought our defenders matched up to them especially Guehi. He's been superb this tournament and continued that last night.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

conceding to such a spectacular goal.

It was a great hit by Simons, take nothing away from the strike however I think it could have been avoided Rice was caught out needlessly and Walker perhaps could have closed him down sooner. 

• Like 1