Brazil and Argentina both lose in World Cup qualifiers

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Brazil look as though they are in transition with new players in their side. Although they have made a poor start, & are lacking confidence according to one of their players, they will still have an opportunity to qualify.

Brazil are in fifth place & the top six teams automatically qualify after 18 rounds of fixtures. The seventh placed team will go into a playoff with another team from across the World.

So it's highly likely that Brazil should qualify.

Argentina top the group so they shouldn't have a problem qualifying either.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Brazil has struggled for some time to integrate their younger talent, so many bright stars of theirs that have fallen short on the international stage. Defensively, they tend to have very overhyped defenders, but on paper I think it's one of their weakest areas. Their desire to have defenders who are skilful and show flare going forward, comes at the expense of actual defensive minds. Don't get me wrong, they are blessed with heaps of talent but even in goal, they should be better.

Some only show "world-class" at club level.

Argentina rely too much on the reputation of big talent, at the cost of bring through good youngsters. They have some very exciting midfielders on the fringe of international football, but haven't quite given any of them a fair chance.

Still, I am surprised to see them lose in the qualifiers.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

South American football can be very unpredictable; I remember Brazil struggling some time ago. Mexico emerged as a good side, but never reached their full potential. Colombia can be breathtaking to watch, when the football is played right. They have the ability to beat Brazil and Argentina on a regular basis but tend to underperform. The unpredictability is why the Copa América can be more entertaining than the Euro's.

Despite Brazil and Argentina tending to be dominated from time to time, a nation considered lesser can cause a shock.

Chile, Peru and Colombia have all had brief stints where they could have won it. I know this is a World Cup qualifier, where they have recently lost, but my comments reflect on how close South American football can be.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i dont know a lot about south american football either, but i do know colombia have some very good players. they have been doing well in recent years, so i am less surprised.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Uruguay have won the World Cup twice in 1930 & 1950.

I remember they were fancied in the 1966 World Cup in England.

Chile finished in third place in 1962.

Mexico reached the quarterfinals in 1986.

Peru reached the quarter finals in 1970 & 1978

Paraguay got to the quarter finals in 2010

Argentina & Brazil have dominated out of the South American sides the vast majority of the time.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

Colombia are a good team, so I’m not surprised. Brazil are quite weak in defence now, as their best defenders are getting older.

• Like 2