Tell Us a Tale

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  133
  • Days Won:  0

I have posted this in the GP General Discussion forum, but it might be Notts related. It all depends on you. I would like to encourage members to tell a tale about meeting someone of important significance that might be interesting to other members of the site.

It could be any type of experience, but importantly of interest. Maybe a quirky thing?

Perhaps even a supernatural experience? Or, something else. I am thinking outside of the box. I think this could be interesting if members are willing to try.

• Like 3
  • Love 8

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Hmm, I can’t really think of any interesting tales I can tell at the moment but I’ll have a think and watch this topic with interest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I once met Jools Holland when I had to hand-deliver him a letter, as he was staying at my workplace. He was playing at the Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham (obvious as I wasn't talking from the Park area to another city). 😂

After getting through various people, I handed him the letter and he thanked me. I was about to walk off, when he asked me if I knew who he was. It's a bit strange, as the letter had his name on, and I had been told to only hand it over to him directly. I said, yes. He asked me if I liked his music, he told me to be honest. I told him no, I didn't and that I wasn't sure I knew anyone who did. 🫢

He laughed, then started playing a piano while he was sat in front. He thanked me again for taking him the letter and told me he liked that I was honest. In hindsight, I probably should have just said Yes and then left it at that, making the excuse that I really had to get back.

--

I could also tell of a time when Marco Pierre White went knife to knife with the restaurant's head chef, after exchanging insults to him. 😂😂

I wasn't involved with this, but watched it all with my own eyes. Pierre White repeatedly returned his meals. A television company was filming something, where two other famous chefs had also been a part of. For some reason, Pierre White started making personal insults to our head chef who blew a casket over it. The production company had to halter filming, when the head chef decided to carve one of his knives into the hot pass. To which, Pierre White started f****** and b***** it.

It wasn't full on daggers. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

I once stumbled into Billy Connolly in London. I had come out of Charing Cross Station and was walking towards Trafalgar Square. It was busy, with people going about their day-to-day lives. I heard a Scottish voice say, “Hello.” I didn’t realise it was Billy at first. His strong Scottish accent asked, “Are you lost? Do you need to find your way?” I knew where I was going, so I responded politely that I was fine. As I continued my journey, he took off his hat and scarf and said I was the first person he had bumped into who didn’t know who he was or wasn’t lost.

• Haha 8

• Content Count:  373

@Countyman I had a similar experience bumping into Brian ‘Killer’ Kilcline, but I obviously knew who he was. This was when he played for Coventry. He was very friendly, but his appearance was still very intimidating. He warmed up when I told him I was from Nottingham, but he did ask me which team I supported, which put a bit of a stir in his eyes. Thankfully, we all know which team that is.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  213

I don’t have anything to add to this myself, but the stories shared so far I have found amusing.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i dont think i would want to be around two chefs that are going to verbal war, they seem heat headed as it is. :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Haha 5

• Content Count:  528

I was once working on a business unit, with two chippies either side of the premises. Every day, one would have a special, and the other would put handwritten signs of reduced prices on coloured paper. Every day it was something different, but one thing that always happened was when it came to locking up. The two people who ran or owned the takeaways, whatever they were, would throw spoilt food at each other at the back. It was one of the funniest but most childish things I have ever seen. They looked like they would come to blows, but neither would throw a punch, just fish. It’s the truth, I swear!

• Haha 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  628

I used to consider going to catering college after my school years, but I don’t like how most chefs seem to act. I don’t have anything interesting to share, but @Chriss’s story reinforces my belief that it’s the wrong trade for me. As for @B&Wstripes, your story sounds fishy to me. ;) Joking.

:rollonfloorlaughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

I wrote a piece about the time I was watched over by Brian Clough. Which is a Claim to Fame I'll always remember. My youngest Son bumped into Richard Brindley in a Petrol Station Shop and said Hi to David McGoldrick who was picking up his kids from somewhere. Do you remember Steve Stone who played for Forest? He suffered a terrible injury which left him on crutches well my wife stopped and let him hobble across a Zebra Crossing, much to the despair of our then neighbour who was a Derby Fan, who asked her why she didn't run him over? It was a joke of course, well we thought it was, but you could never tell with Pete. I do have a long list of people I would love to have met or meet, perhaps an idea for another topic eh @Sirrels County?

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I saw Jason Manford at Skegness in one of the bigger arcades with one of his children, before he went off to what I assume were over family members. I didn't bother him, or anything like that. I did see some others approach him and ask for his signature and photo, which he did, but I felt sorry for him because he was clearly having downtime with his family.

Not much to the story, other than at times when I upload pictures to Facebook - certain friends tell me I look like him.

At least it's better than that Welsh snooker player, Mark Williams.

• Haha 1

• Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Reading this topic over my shoulder the Wife pointed out, What about the time we bumped into Dennis Lille the actor who played Cassandra's Dad in Only Fools And Horses. in a carpark in Windsor. That was something Id forgotten about. And even more embarrassing I didn't even know the guys name. I kept referring to him as Casandra's Dad. But he was a perfect Gentleman and waited until the Wife had searched in her handbag, for a scrap of paper and a pen for him to give us his Autograph.

• Like 1