Should there be more protection for players?

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,208
  • Days Won:  187
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Should players have more protection from the officials to prevent players from getting serious injuries?

Stuart Maynard has been complaining about the treatment dished out to his players this season & has asked for more protection.

Jodi Jones is calling for more protection from referees after being ruled out until the new year with a fractured shin.

Of course there has to be a balance in allowing a player to be able to tackle another player legally, but unfortunately, one referee's opinion of a poor tackle is not always anothers.

We know there are laws in place that prohibit tackles from behind, but the law is a bit too vague for my liking.

There is a rule that retrospective rulings can be made, but it's hardly ever used. All of the match officials have to miss an incident or do not see it due to a player being in the way etc.

So what's to be done. Should there be retrospective judgements made if a Ref makes a mistake, or misses a serious incident resulting in injury, & time away from the game?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,163
  • Days Won:  3

I don’t think players should be allowed to make challenges from behind, only in front of them. I know people say defending and tackling are becoming things of the past, but we need to try to avoid injuries. I would call for better protection.

• Like 6

Supporter+

@KingMaynard 

Tackles from behind were outlawed in 1998, & there were a spike in yellow cards & red cards afterwards & the rule is still in force, but since then it's this dangerous play thing that is unfortunately up to interpretation by the Ref.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,504
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The referee and officials are meant to put players' health and wellbeing first. Reckless and rash challenges need to be stamped out of the game. It doesn't always need to result in cards; a good official should be able to manage it with their voice. If that doesn't work, then the cards should come out. I believe everyone on the pitch deserves protection, including defenders who sometimes get hit hard by attacking players.

• Like 5

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,340
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

17 hours ago, Robbie said:

Tackles from behind were outlawed in 1998, & there were a spike in yellow cards & red cards afterwards & the rule is still in force, but since then it's this dangerous play thing that is unfortunately up to interpretation by the Ref.

I believe this and Chud, a Nottingham-based photographer, have masterfully captured the inherent dangers of the challenge.

mJYSsAk.jpeg

Watching the full game highlights, their player does reach the ball. Yet his boot is raised, his studs are showing, and it went through Jodi when he ran with the ball. That is very dangerous.

He has limited control of what he's doing in that motion, most players don't even have their arms stretched up and wide when making these sorts of tackles.

It says to me, he was stretching for the ball, which again is dangerous to do. Their fans seem to think it's perfectly fine, but they wouldn't have had it been one of their own. I call this straight, if it was a Notts player that did it - I would call it out as dangerous play.

Images are at times do not give the full picture, but even this attempt on Jodi by comparing it to the highlights deserved a yellow card.

QBMjAaj.jpeg

Highs high again, stretching for the ball with a lunging in motion.

• Love 4

Supporter+

@ChrisIn the first photo Jodi's right leg looks unaturaly bent to the right between the other player's legs as that player made the tackle.

The tackle looks clearly from behind, but it's not clear from the photo if the Gillingham play touched the ball

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,340
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

23 hours ago, Robbie said:

@ChrisIn the first photo Jodi's right leg looks unaturaly bent to the right between the other player's legs as that player made the tackle.

The tackle looks clearly from behind, but it's not clear from the photo if the Gillingham play touched the ball

From the highlights I believe he did, but there are plenty of times dangerous tackles have seen the defending player make contact with the ball. I think there needs to be clearer rules against challenges to prevent "contact" being used as an excuse for making poor fouls or decisions. It's a shocking challenge, I would hope things are helped towards protecting players.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,046
  • Days Won:  162

challenges from behind should not be allowed, its incredibly dangerous but i am not sure what could be done exactly. i thin any fan who does not realise the dangers with rash tackles wont appreciate it until they experience losing one of their own players. it could have been avoided, had the gillingham player not lunged for the ball.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  388
  • Days Won:  0

I don’t know how referees can offer better protection without clearer rules on challenges. I think tackles from behind should be ruled out and result in an instant red card, as they are dangerous and can cause trouble for both defender and attacker. Referees should use more common sense when a challenge is dangerous to offer better protection. However, like VAR, it wouldn’t be straightforward.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Can you tackle from behind in football in the UK?

The tackle from behind has been outlawed from the game so you need to aim to make your tackle from the side and across the path of your opponent. If you are chasing back towards your own goal and your opponent is ahead of you then you will have to get your tackling foot around the side or it will be deemed a foul.

Source Google.

So unfortunately it is up to interpretation of the Ref, so long as a player looks like they are tackling from the side and touches the ball most Refs allow it 

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

There has to be a level of common sense. Even after challenges are made, the FA should review what caused the injury and make suspensions to the offending players when it’s been missed by officials. Whilst it wouldn’t help Jodi Jones, it may start to prevent those types of tackles and give more thought to the officials to make a better judgement on them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

I see someone up there are not happy with Gillingham for what happened to Jodi.

Gillingham have lost their last three league matches. Long may the run continue.

• Like 1