Sheehan's off too

Supporter+

Radio Nottingham are reporting that Sheehan has turned down a one year contract and will be leaving the club,

That's Campbell Ryce, Liddle and now Sheehan three of last seasons most consistent players have now left, apparently they were all offered a one year contract.

Quite frankly I am very disappointed that we haven't done more to keep these players, I would have expected them to leave if we had been relegated but surely they could have been offered longer contracts?

What does everyone think?

Lets be honest about this. If they were the best we had for the last 3 years, then that says a lot about why we got into that situation.

Sheenan... played well this season. Good captain at the back end of the season. Proved his versability by playing cb as well. Last year avarage on a good day and poor normally. Hense he was only offered 1 year last year.

Result 1 year to prove he can do it consistently and stop mouthing off about how good he is and what he is worth.

Liddle...average cb. Looked good in the middle until injury. Average since his comeback.

Moving on purely because of his wife being heavily pregnant and wanting to be near her family in the NE.

Anyone who is married and has had kids can understand this. Good luck to the guy and his family.

JCR... good player for 3 months. Lets not kid outselves and turn that into 3 years though hey?

Another who conducted his business in the media. Would he have kept up his form here? Possibly due to sd and ga. Will he do it week in, week out at Sheff U? Can't see it myself. In fact imo, will nit impaxt there at all and will be moved on quickly.

SD has done the sensible thing with JR here. "Look Shaun, all 3 are a gamble. How about we offer them a 1 yr and see if they want it? If they go then good riddance and you can start with a clean slate to build as you wish.

Do a paper report about Danny Haynes and say he can come back, but have a dig as well and he might move on leaving even more wages free."

Sorry for the mistakes! Longest message from my phone ever!!!

Supporter+

This says more about the club than the players. Liddle served us well. Sheehan and JCR too. I'd question the ambition of RT. Seems like he's just happy to have a team in the league as that's a requirement for the ladies team. Plenty of evidence to back up this claim. Prove me wrong Mr Trew.

Starting with JCR he turned up for the last three months of his contract knowing that he had to find offers at the end of the season - goodbye and good riddance

Gary Liddle was & is a type of player that all teams need, he always performed at 95% and did alot of work that went unnoticed, echo the sentiment why he has left and wish him & his family all the best in the future

Alan Sheehan's a good solid player who is very good at set pieces and we could do far far worse, for me he just needs to talk with the right people at the right time not hold his contractual talks via the media. Hope he stays tbh but if he goes then good luck in the future

Naturally it disappoints me that we don't appear to learn lessons.

Each season our best players tend to expire with their contracts, we offer them a year or so. I wished we would handle contracts at the stage of around 10 or so games into a season, obviously sometimes you will have to wait but it's best IMO to show commitment. Players who won't want to discuss terms are most likely one's who want to move on (for whatever reasons) and so this method would give us a chance to sell them.

Sheehan, JCR, Liddle, Judge etc are all players which could have attracted offers.

Again, I'm not about to shead any tears about losing players who finished 20th. If anyone earned an improved contract it was Alan, but he went about it completely the wrong way - throwing his toys out of the pram right after the final whistle at Oldham, that was out of order. Those discussions should have remained private, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had an affect on what the club offered him.

But that said, I'm sure we offered him the deal which was best for both parties, and if other clubs offer him better than naturally he'll go.

But sh*t happens, we move on. I'm not being funny, I couldn't wait to see pretty much the whole squad leave as recently as mid March, so I'm not about to have a huge change of heart because the penny dropped when they realised they were playing for their futures.

Thanks for everything Alan, all the best

Again, I'm not about to shead any tears about losing players who finished 20th. If anyone earned an improved contract it was Alan, but he went about it completely the wrong way - throwing his toys out of the pram right after the final whistle at Oldham, that was out of order. Those discussions should have remained private, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had an affect on what the club offered him.

But that said, I'm sure we offered him the deal which was best for both parties, and if other clubs offer him better than naturally he'll go.

But sh*t happens, we move on. I'm not being funny, I couldn't wait to see pretty much the whole squad leave as recently as mid March, so I'm not about to have a huge change of heart because the penny dropped when they realised they were playing for their futures.

Thanks for everything Alan, all the best

Agree totally. 

Supporter+

Maybe he hasn't rejected it but the deadline has passed? Who knows what goes on....

Supporter+

He hasn't rejected the offer and as @Dripset3 says the deadline has passed so if SD sticks to his guns it's too late to accept now.

I agree with @weymouthPIE he shouldn't have gone public in that interview but maybe it was a heat of the moment thing at an emotional time which he now regrets.

He hasn't rejected the offer and as @Dripset3 says the deadline has passed so if SD sticks to his guns it's too late to accept now.

I agree with @weymouthPIE he shouldn't have gone public in that interview but maybe it was a heat of the moment thing at an emotional time which he now regrets.

Maybe he has accepted the offer on the basis of a couple of changes like appearance bonus etc as all clubs will always change these as that is a part of the contract that is guaranteed to be have to be paid, i agree with you though that it was an emotional time & lets be fair if there was one player who stood up to be counted when we needed it most it was him.

Like i said before I really hope he signs and for me I hope he has been given a 2 year contract as 1 year wouldn't be right in my eyes. 

But he dosen't appear to have agreed to anything either, so until it's made official that he's signing, I'd expect him to be off. Derry gave him the deadline and if it's passed, Derry must surely have said to him he's got like a day or something to come to a decision. What we don't want is for it to get to the point where the club is kept in limbo while he holds out to see if anything better comes up, like many players did last season.

But he dosen't appear to have agreed to anything either, so until it's made official that he's signing, I'd expect him to be off. Derry gave him the deadline and if it's passed, Derry must surely have said to him he's got like a day or something to come to a decision. What we don't want is for it to get to the point where the club is kept in limbo while he holds out to see if anything better comes up, like many players did last season.

So far Derry's been pretty shrewd with his business, I wouldn't give any player who couldn't commit to the club a chance (personally). With us having seen him moved out players who didn't show the right level of commitment and the deadline passing, perhaps it's best to decline the offer of a contract? We don't want him coming back and not giving 100%.

If he's got better offers then this might not be an issue.

I just wouldn't wait for a player like him to sign, it makes us seem somewhat needy and I honestly believe we can sign a player looking for experience who could on to be far better.

Having said that, I hope we can keep him but really I wouldn't keep hanging around. It makes it seem very pointless to begin with!

SD - I'm giving you all a month to decide if you want to renew your deal.

A few weeks pass....

JC - Thanks but no thanks, I'm off to Sheffield.

GL - I'm not signing a new deal.

SD - The deadlines passed, I'm just waiting on our captain.

AS - I haven't decided yet, there is some offers on the table.

SD - Oh, I will wait another month but we need to see desire, commitment and all that fancy stuff.

AS - I know but I'm not rushing to decide.

:rolleyes::angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Supporter+

Alan Sheehan has signed for Bradford. Bradford have signed 2 of our best players from last year. We must replace Sheehan with someone of equal ability. 

We have lost 3 quality players in JCR, Sheehan and Liddle. Very disappointing. 

Bradford is a right lack of ambition on his part, but hey we knew he'd be off a month ago. If he really wanted to be here, it wouldn't have taken him a month and a half to make a decision would it? He went about negotiating wrong from the off kicking off on radio right after the final whistle at Oldham the way he did.

Said it countless times, we finished 20th. We didn't win anything. If we want to progress we needed an overhaul. Let's be right, it was only March most of us couldn't wait for the season to end so we could have just that.

Good luck to him, apart from the two against us lol

Personally I think we will be much better off having moved on from this, allow Derry and Abbott to bring in their own players. Yes, I would have liked to keep him along with Liddle and JCR but really we can replace them.

Murray and Spencer being two players I felt certain would have attracted bigger interest.

So, it's not really a big thing. We just need to replace them :)

Thanks Alan Sheehan for all that you've done.

Supporter+

Yes I agree, I'm sad he's gone but he can be replaced and I trust Shaun and Greg to find a suitable replacement.

Supporter+

You can't fault a player for accepting the better deal. 1 year deals are a waste of time in the modern game. I understand it is all we can afford and that's the reality we face.

Archived