New offside rule.

pokerpie

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  2

Just read this on another forum.

"The start of the new season brings a tweak to football's offside rule - one that could result in quite a few goals being disallowed.

If a player has a shot at goal and a team-mate in an offside position makes a play for the ball - even if they don't touch it - the goal will now be disallowed.

The new guidelines passed down to officials at all levels state: 'A player in an offside position shall be penalised if he: 'Makes an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball.'

It means players who stand in an offside position and move towards a shot or pass and make a move as though they intend to touch the ball will be penalised.

One high-profile example came in February this year when Juan Mata's free-kick curled straight in during Manchester United's match with Stoke City at Old Trafford.

Marcos Rojo, in an offside position inside the box, attempted to head the cross but missed. Nobody else made contact and Mata's ball went straight in, the goal standing.

Under the rule change, the goal would not be allowed.

Officials believe the new rule will simplify the situation and dissuade players from lingering around in an offside position knowing they would not be considered to be actively involved in play."

Seems like there complicating things further.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I prefer the... if you are off, then you are off..

None of this not interfering with play.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Unless they have the technology to assist the officials and assistants, I see this epically failing to make any point.

In principle, it does make sense but it seems somewhat unclear, at least a little.

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

Not seen this. Is it a change in the laws or is it another change in the way we interpret them. At the start of most seasons the FA issue directives to referees, to explain the new ways of thinking, and after a few months they are forgotten.

There is normally a lot of stress put on a players  intent, and this change to the guidelines makes it conform  to those regulations as well. It seemed strange that a player could benefit from missing the ball as Rojo did. Clearly if you try and play the ball you will effect the way the keeper and defenders react. They are not to know that the player is not good enough and will miss the ball.

If you are offside and try to play the ball, you are off side. there is no need to wait and see if you get the ball. 

As someone famous said, if he's not interfering with play, why is he on the pitch.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

This sounds quite difficult. How do you judge whether a player is actively trying to win the ball? When they run towards it? Or to the side, to pick up a possible rebound? I understand the idea, but I think it'll be hard to enforce with any kind of consistancy. Has it been trialled anywhere?

I think that is what will lead to confusion and if this is the case, the rule would probably be best avoiding.

It depends how they plan to implement it.

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

It is simple, it isn't a law change it is a clearer instruction for officials. The standard "interfering with play" concept covered it perfectly adequately before the FA started pansying about with the law. In the words of a certain Mr Clough, "if you aren't interfering with play what are you doing on the pitch!"

Offside is offside, full stop,the end. That solves it. If you are stood by the corner flag then you aren't affecting the issue, if you are in the goal area, you are, end of story. All this cr@p about "active" or "inactive" was always a pile of tripe and served to confuse. If you stray offside you risk cancelling out a team mate's spectacular goal bound effort - so, stay on side.

@Pies4u - Of course we should not forget about the quality of match officials throughout this division.

It should be simple but I doubt it will be.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

It does make it simpler but it will be hard to tell whether a player is interfering or not. It will also take time for players to get used to as its not just a simple change. There may be less players assisting towards the goal and defenders taking advantage by pulling back more to make it harder to get goals.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

we will have to see if it actually improves the game, it could lead to more mistakes than it resolves. at least this is my gut feeling!

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

This sounds quite difficult. How do you judge whether a player is actively trying to win the ball? When they run towards it? Or to the side, to pick up a possible rebound? I understand the idea, but I think it'll be hard to enforce with any kind of consistancy. Has it been trialled anywhere?

When does FIFA trial anything suggested by themselves? If clubs or fans wanted it, then you could bet a dollar on it would have been.

Archived